1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cardboard 12 bottle shippers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by bpgpitt10, Dec 28, 2012.

1. I have a 12 bottle shipper that is the layers of those cardboard with the bottle indentations. I got it by actually purchasing a case and having it shipped to me. I've never actually shipped with one of these before though so I'm curious if anyone has had issues. I'm not worried about the beer breaking, but I can't seem to get rid of the liquid sloshing sound despite tons of rice in the box. Has anyone had issues with this in the past? Suggestions?

I might just skip using this box. I thought it'd be a better option, but I'm not so sure now.
  2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

The sideways orientation of those boxes does seem to lead to more sloshing. That said, I wouldn't expect fedex/ups to keep your box facing in any particular direction. I've used the 6 bottle versions of these shippers a number of times with no problem, but I do usually fill all the empty space in the box with newspaper. Even doing that, I never feel like the bottles are held in places as securely as in the styro shippers.
  3. BeerBob26

BeerBob26 Aficionado (125) Illinois Mar 22, 2012

I've used them and had plenty of them shipped to me- never had an issue. I still wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and fill any gaps with newspaper or more bubble wrap.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

BeerBob has good suggestions, might I had just putting a small half full Tic Tac container or something in there to add to the noise leaving the box. Anything helps, and it's small.
  5. I have shipped over 100 boxes without attempting to mask the sloshing sound without encountering an issue. I've received practically that many sloshing boxes without issue as well. Save yourself the stress and don't worry about it.
    csano, Retail1LO and mhenson42 like this.
  6. I actually prefer these when shipping 32 oz. growlers. The bottoms of a 32 oz growlers are such that they simply won't fit in a styro shipper. I've used these types of shippers frequently with no issues. You can toss loose rice in the cavities for a decent masking effect to sloshing if it's a concern.
  7. Being from Florida, where 32 oz. swing tops are standard, cardboard shippers are wonderful for this exact reason.
    Retail1LO likes this.