Cardinal rules of beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by draheim, Oct 6, 2013.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I've come up with my own set of beer-related cardinal rules over the past few years. Because I buy the vast majority of my beer at bottle shops and grocery stores, my rules are centered around bottled beer. Others of you might have your own rules related to beer festivals, brewery releases, tap-only beers, homebrewing, or other aspects of beer. Anyway, here are mine:
    1. Always check the beer section, whenever you're in a store that has one. You never know what you'll find, or where.
    2. If you see a limited beer you want to try, grab it. Even if you expect to see more or find it later at a better price, you'll be kicking yourself if you didn't pick up at least one when it was within your reach.
    3. If there's a beer you're really interested in finding and don't see it out on the shelves, ask the beer guy to check in back. You never know what they're keeping back there. (I often don't do this, as I generally don't like to support stores that hide the "good stuff"; but some beers also just move fast on the floor and they might not have had a chance to restock. So it can never hurt to ask.)
    4. If you miss out on a certain beer that you wanted, don't sweat it. Aside from certain one-offs, if it's good, they'll probably make it again and usually they'll make more of it. It's simple economics; breweries generally like to make beer that people want to buy.
    5. Even if it's not a hyped beer, if it sounds good to you, try it.
    Anyone else have any cardinal rules of beer that they live by? Cheers?

2. Vivinski

Vivinski Zealot (90) Netherlands Sep 29, 2013

I have a guideline,

Take the Belgian

3. If the bartender pours it for you without asking, assuming they don't want you out the door, drink it

4. Never trust a beer that requires lemon, lime, orange or any other fruit. If it isnt good enough to stand on its own it isn't worth drinking!

5. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

No 1. Always.

6. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

My cardinal rule is don't tell anyone about all of our secret PNW beer....

mrchrisray, SShelly, kemoarps and 2 others like this.
  7. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

6. Don't buy undated beer unless there is some other way to establish its current age. (e.g., a week after its release as a seasonal).

7. If there is a beer you want to buy that is undated, buy something else and send mail to the brewery telling them which beer you bought instead of their undated beer.

8. Be open minded.

Be a craft beer fan, and not a beer snob (not everyone will like BBA ethiopian coffee, central american vanilla, imperial stouts that clock in at 15%, and that's cool)

Experience all the styles that you can.

Don't drink from the bottle, and advise others not to either (without being an a-hole of course).

9. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Savant (335) Illinois Jun 12, 2013

If your buying an IPA, check the date.

10. Change up the styles as often as you can, support the local brewers, and go back to good beers every now and then so they can make some money for their product.

11. Enjoy it, that's it.

12. fudanchu

fudanchu Aspirant (40) California Sep 16, 2013

Brew at least one beer in your lifetime.

If you like a beer drink one and cellar one. Unless its an ipa or any hopped up beer

smellandsip37, kemoarps and alex_hart like this.
  13. fudanchu

fudanchu Aspirant (40) California Sep 16, 2013

If it has brett, age it.

14. Unless it's absolutely vile, never make up your mind about a beer after only one glass.

15. Never count out lagers, they can be just as awesome as any ale.

16. If the Pope offers, always accept, no matter the brand!

17. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I think it's a pretty good set of rules. My only exception would be #3. Some beers are just priced out of my beer budget and I apply #4 to those.

18. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I have one rule

1. Drink what I like, don't worry about what others think I should drink.

Rinse and repeat if people get upset at my choices.

19. If you forget a beer in the freezer, don't try to thaw it in the microwave.

20. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

There are no rules in beer drinking, no crying either.

AdmiralOzone, Esper1, JMS1512 and 4 others like this.
  21. You've obviously never broken your favourite pint glass ;)

22. Always drink brew a little warmer than you think it should be or as served

23. my one cardinal rule of beer:

if it tastes good, drink it, if it doesn't taste good, drink if after you've had a few.

24. 6. Always look to share/spread the love on what you find without regards for what comes back your way.

25. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Don't blend beers with Rubaeus. It's a waste of something good.

26. kjlcm

kjlcm Savant (320) New Hampshire Jul 16, 2013

To add to #5, don't let BA ratings affect your enjoyment of anything. In fact seek out that mid 70's beer that is a mid 90's to you.

27. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

My cardinal rule is it's just beer.

28. cyde

cyde Savant (355) Texas Feb 12, 2012

This is a constant battle for me ordering beer outside of good pubs/bars. I don't want wedges of citrus with my Live Oak hefeweizen. It's perfect as is.

29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Yeah, especially of the belgian varieties. I'm looking at you kriek!

30. rgordon

rgordon Savant (420) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

1. Don't let your last beer sneak up on you
    2. Assume that your son and son in law will drink all of your Sunday beers Saturday
    3. Keep the good stuff where everyone can get it
    4. If married, encourage your spouse to drink some beers
    5. Do not be surprised by being out of beer on Sunday

31. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

When money is tight, always opt for BMC option instead of Minhaus "craft" beers.

32. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (455) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

Worship the goat!

NCMonte, Vonstein15 and inchrisin like this.
  33. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Words to live by.

6. I buy anything with a viking or viking related on the label. I haven't had a bad one yet.

7. Never drain pour a beer unless it's been abused, infected, or is flat. If it's craft brew and it's been served properly it deserves a chance. A chance is at least a pint. If you don't care for it, give it to friends to try--or enemies.

richobrien, dmeadows, KentT and 2 others like this.
  34. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Perhaps you've never been to Iceland. Earlier this year my wife was bringing me back some beer from France; for some reason not realizing that she couldn't bring it on board, it was too late to package and check the bottles and security confiscated them. Long story short, as a consolation, she picked up a sampler pack of beers from the Viking Brewery during her layover inside the Reyjavik airport terminal. They were all pretty forgettable.

35. You're doing a good job. ;)

WankelEngine likes this.
  36. rgordon

rgordon Savant (420) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Damn, those pillaging bastards stole the stout recipe! The beer they brought was light struck.

37. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I have no idea what you're talking about.

pjvie likes this.
  38. Roguer

Roguer Champion (985) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

Some great rules on here; I don't think there's anything by which I live which hasn't already been covered.

Some of the rules I've only adopted after becoming more of a craft beer snob, mainly:
    -IPA dates. Check 'em! I don't care if the beer is a month old, but I definitely care if it's 18 months old.
    -Check the beer section (OP #1). All of a sudden, my local grocery store stocks craft and Trappist ales. Good to know!
    -I try not to be too judgmental of a brew the first time I had it. It might have been a bad bottle, or too old, or dirty tap lines.

Roxie_B likes this.
  39. I haven't heard about any secret PNW beers, thus you're doing a good job keeping them secret. :)

40. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

There is no right or wrong way to drink beer, it all comes down to personal preference. If a friend comes over, and wants to try one of my Expedition Stouts, I will suggest a glass and give my reasons, but if they want to enjoy it straight from the bottle then more power to 'em. Hell they can pour it into a red solo cup if it suits their fancy.