1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

carnivore and more...

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by hopswiller, Jul 6, 2012.

1. hopswiller

hopswiller Member

surely we all enjoy a good feed with a brew so here's a thread for some treasured recipes

this is a sensational pork recipe i got from my father inlaw that is great in the oven or webber

Tom's Special Ribs

1 kg Pork Spare Ribs
    4 TBLS BBQ SAUCE (the smokier the better)
    4 TBLS HONEY
    4 TBLS BROWN VINEGAR
    1 TBLS CHINESE CHILLI SAUCE
    1/4 TSP FIVE SPICE POWDER
    1/3 CUP DRY SHERRY
    2 TBLS SOY SAUCE (i always like a bit more)
    1 CLOVE GARLIC
    2.5CM CUBE GINGER
    (i also add fresh chilli)

1. Bring pork to boil in a saucepan of water and then simmer for 20mins, covered
    2. remove pork and and marinate in sauce for at least 1hr (or overnight if possible)
    3. cook in a moderate heat webber / oven for required time

i like to leave covered for 2-3hrs at 160c and then remove foil and crisp up at top temperature

great with rice, steamed bok choy and friends
  2. Lukie

Lukie Member

If you are slow roasting them anyway, then boiling them is not necessary. You only boil ribs to make them tender for cooking straight on the grill. Boiling meat is a bad way to cook it though, as it removes flavour from the actual meat into the water.
  3. scmorgan

scmorgan Member

I'd also add in to remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs ... pain to do but worth the effort.

I'm more pulled pork that ribs ...that way you end up with kilo's of the stuff!