1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cascade Blueberry

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by yojimbo1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

This is from the latest Cascade newsletter. It appears that Blueberry is next and will be available for online purchase. I don't know if it was last time.

From the newsletter:

Looking for the perfect gift for your beer loving friends or for your own personal cellar?
    We've got lots of bottled beers now for sale; in fact, this is the most we've had in stock for a long time! Order from our online store; we ship to all states that allow shipment of beer (the site will let you know if your state is accepted). You can find the following 750 ml bottles online at
    http://shop.cascadebrewingbarrelhouse.com:
    2011 The Vine = $17
    2011 Apricot = $18
    2011 Kriek = $18
    2011 Sang Noir = $21
    2011 Noyaux = $25 (4 bottle limit)
    2011 Blueberry is next in the queue!

BrassHandles likes this.
  2. I still think Apricot is the best out of that entire bunch and it is the easiest to get.

boMD, libbey and csano like this.
  3. Sang Noir doesnt seem to be available.

4. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Blueberry was available online the last go-round. Also, I mostly agree with eyeenjoybeer, BUT...if Noyaux was $18 I would take it over Apricot every time.

sukwonee and LoPo87 like this.
  5. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I agree... The Vine is close too for my taste.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  6. yojimbo1

The new newsletter says likely in late December.

7. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

Was at the Raccoon Lodge today and was told the current plan is to release around December 6th.

8. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

Sitting at Cascade right now with a couple other BAs. The new Blueberry is tasting fantastic! Looking forward to the release at the end of December.

LoPo87 likes this.
  9. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

How does it compare to the first batch earlier this year?

10. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

I think it's probably better than the last batch. I'll put it this way: We went to Cascade for the Vlad (which was really good too) but stayed for the Blueberry.

LoPo87, exitmusic00 and csano like this.
  11. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

This batch of blueberry is better than the last one. I'm going to stock up on bottles and hold onto these for summer.

gueuzehead and LoPo87 like this.
  12. csano

Any idea if they did anything differently for this batch? Same base/etc.?

13. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Any ideas on price? I guess $18 seems average.

14. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

15. How quick does the Blueberry sell out? Will be coming down to Portland late January.

16. yojimbo1

You can order online if you are worried.

17. Not worried, but, because I'm in Canada, we can't order online... although I do have a shipping address in Washington now, still means going across the border and all. Most US sites won't let you order online with a CDN CC.

18. csano

Give it a try. To my understanding, you fill out a PDF form, send it to them, and they call you. They take your CC# over the phone. I'm assuming they use the same system that they use at the barrel house.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  19. Up here from SoCal and had this batch last night at the Raccoon Lodge. Absolutely delicious. But the Cranberry was better.

20. Good to know thanks!

21. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

For those interested, Full Throttle Bottle in Seattle just posted that they got some in

22. csano

I wonder if this one hit distribution.

23. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'm guessing yes. Bottleworks has (or had) it too. I wonder if any will be left by the time I have a chance to make my rounds.

24. I happened to be in BW when they got their delivery. I've just recently come around to sours, which my wife liked before me. I bought her a bottle and, when I got home, she declared that she doesn't like blueberry. Guess I'll just have to drink it.

Seems like there were four cases on the floor but this could have also included their delivery of Kriek.

25. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

My girlfriend doesnt like blueberries - she liked that beer. You may be able to deceive her on this one...

26. Would love to do an IP trade with someone in Portland end of January for a couple bottles of this. BM if interested.

27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

These are amazing beers that exceed RR sours imo, for less money. Amazing they stay online so long without selling out....

28. The difference i believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Cascade uses no brett, all lacto?

29. as i drink Petrus aged pale :)

30. csano

"Amazing" is subjective. In my opinion, and I'm possibly alone in this, Cascade's beers are often overly acetic and rarely ever achieve the delicate balance between acidity and the fruit that the label represents. Not to say that I don't enjoy them when I'm looking for a sour bomb, but if you're looking for something that screams balance and consistency, then you can't go wrong with any of Russian River's sour beers.

hopsbreath, stx00lax and RedMedicine like this.
  31. I picked up a bottle of Blueberry at Full Throttle Bottles on the way home from work today. $21.50 each.

32. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Not in Portland, at least not yet.

33. Found someone to grab me a couple bottle, cheers! Mmmm, I love blueberry anything. Curious, has anyone ever compared this to the Cantillon one? I'm just assuming bang for buck on Cascade is waaaaaay better.

34. csano

I think Blabaer is overrated for all of the hype it gets. Had a 09 and 11 recently. The 09 was pleasantly tart, but there was only a very slight trace of blueberries. The '11, as expected, was more subdued in tartness, and had a little bit more of a blueberry flavor. For what it commands in value, I'd prefer to spend the money on a few of their other basic releases. With some age on them, they are basically the same, sans traces of fruit.

That said, if you're looking for a bang for your buck with sours, I highly recommend the Bockor Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge. If you know where to look, you can find a 4-pack of 12oz bottles for $17. It's a fantastic beer.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  35. Well both Blueberry and Apricot have made it to North Carolina already if that means anything. :)

36. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It means that the invasion is going according to plan.

[​IMG]

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  37. Hopefully Vlad gets released in the same manner. Hype.

38. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Had it for the first time on draft yesterday at the Beer Authority and it was a real treat. Not as tart and in your face as Apricot but I felt it was much more balanced as a total beer. Glad to have snagged a couple bottles to share with friends

39. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (680) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

Blueberry is in at Beermongers