1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Cascade Bourbonic

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by hoparoundnw2337, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Stopped in this week and was told it will be mid-Mayish. Bottles are labeled but the beer is not ready. Of course I always take what I am told with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila. But that is the latest from me...

2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

I assume $30 a bottle...

3. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Wanna bet? :) I'm guessing it's like 32$

4. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

do i hear $40?

5. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

The new Cascade sales dynamic: only non-Oregon residents buy their limited release beers.

6. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

True

7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,075) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Guilty as charged

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  8. Clearly you jest, this beer was BOURBON aged, 50$

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  9. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

As crazy as $30/750ml may sound, that Manhattan NW was pretty fucking killer IMO, and no one complains about $12-$15/375ml for RR sours.

10. While i haven't had rr sours yet, I'm sure they outclass cascade sours. Don't get me wrong the one i tried was very good. World class though? nah. Definitely not worth 28 a bottle!

11. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (300) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

While i haven't read many of your posts yet, I'm sure they are all baseless comparisons.

12. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

13. Respect Beer? Also respect beer advocates? Hmm. No that is not what this site is about whatsoever .:rolleyes:
    Not cool!

14. Us locals are upset of the $ they are now charging. We are spoiled. But Cascade is finding what the national market is. Not their fault. I think their beer should keep up with the RR beeers with price. Quality is there. Mayber they should to to 375ml....

draheim likes this.
  15. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

I think the irony intended in the post by cavemanlawyer went right over the head of the individual to whom it was directed. :p

16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,075) Washington Sep 18, 2010

In reviewing Bottleworks XIV last night I said "I'd have preferred 375s @ $14." Especially with a big, complex beer like that, I'd rather not have to commit to downing a $30, 750mL bottle in one sitting.

KiMiRaiK, RedMedicine and ramnuts like this.
  17. Kopfschuss

The Manhattan was killer, I just think that the price is absurd for what it is. I don't want to chime in for everyone in the area, but it seems the general consensus is that Lacto gets tiring when it is the main profile of every sour beer that you make. Being a mile from the brewery I feel I am spoiled. I find that many of the better beers they make are reasonably priced non-sour beers. The Oblique Coffee collaborations are delicious as well as the Fig Porter they brewed. I don't want to say that they won't be getting my business, but for the price they are charging for a bottle of their beers I can get numerous other offerings of equal or greater quality from around the area.

18. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I actually agree with you on the Lacto getting tiring. In fact, until last week, I was on about a year hiatus from Cascade (spending most of that time talking shit about them on BA ;)). Ride my bike or walk past every day, however I have a REALLY hard time dropping $8/8oz when I can go get a pint of something at Bailey's, Belmont Station, etc. for half that price and twice the volume. But everything about the Manhattan NW did it for me. Maybe just more my style than their typical offerings. It was the first time I considered buying a Cascade bottle in a long time (full disclosure: I didn't).

Kopfschuss likes this.
  19. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

dont forget diesel

20. Franch

Franch Advocate (575) New York Mar 22, 2011

since cascade sucks so much i'll gladly take your shitty bottles of noyaux and other gross lacto bomb sours off your hands and trade you beers that suck slightly less

21. Kopfschuss

I can't forget Diesel. Have you ever blended Diesel and Kriek? Quite delicious. I am pretty sure they do reductions of these two beers for some of their desserts.

22. Haven't you only tried Blueberry?

Franch likes this.
  23. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

RR sours are ridiculously good and the main reason RR is my favorite brewery as they are the only brews that i can think of that i could rebuy over and over and die a happy man. Do they outclass cascade...? that's a tough one...

Speaking as a WA resident i would say yes. Cascade is readily available here and though they taste amazing, i have drank multiple sours from them in one sitting and have found that they all pretty much taste the same. RR has ditched us beer geeks in WA and I am forced to drive 2 hours if i what RR, making it somewhat rare for a lazy beer drinking like me to get. thus making it more desirable.

If i go back a couple months ago, when i was living in central valley CA, where distribution was horrific. I'd say they were equally glorious and would die to get a hold of either.

Ramble, ramble, blah blah... i guess what i'm saying is, it really depends on where you live and whether or not these brews are distributed to your area or not.

How you can possible declare RR sour to outclass cascades without even having tried them is beyond me...

cavemanlawyer likes this.