1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Case Sales at Three Floyds

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Wseitz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I like all the comments about re-selling.

You guys do realize this is mostly trading culture driving the demand, NOT those that are re-selling, right?

2. ...And yet some of the idiots in this thread.. who buy 6 cases.. and trade it en masse (or are picking it up for everyone back home - which is pretty similar if you think about it).. are the ones taking the largest offense..

This thread needs to be over..

raymo55 likes this.
  3. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Wow.
    I just skimmed through this thread--
    [​IMG]

pschul4, Maction, libbey and 6 others like this.
  4. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Who?

5. Rampage1

Rampage1 Aficionado (175) Arizona Mar 10, 2011

Lol- truer words could not have been spoken.

6. I also would like to know, as I am inclined to test my hypothesis.

edit: especially if it means I became a victim of assault by an employee of FFF.

7. Imagine if McDonalds would limit their big macs to 2 per day :eek:. No but I understand and respect your point of view. I would feel the same if I drove to the alchemist and instead of buying a case of heady, I would only be aloud to grab a 4-pack. Would make the drive useless and would probably not waste that much time and gas.

8. Which is greater advocacy?

The guy who travels from Philly to Munster to purchase beer that a couple dozen people in PA can't get, and will thoroughly enjoy...

Or the brewery that denies that person such an opportunity so that the same people that live within 10 miles of the brewery and can go there whenever they want, will have a lesser likelihood of not being able to get soem when they come down to the pub for their once a week visit?

The whole argument of limiting people to two cases, so more people can try it, is simply bogus. Just because one person walks out the door with 10 cases, doesn't mean fewer people will enjoy it than when 5 people walk out with 2 cases each. In fact, I'd be willing to guess that a person with 2 cases is more likely keeping it for personal consumption than the guy with 10 cases. Seriously, what the fuck am I going to do with 10 cases of IPA??? Oh yeah, share the livin' shit out of it.

That's all I'm sayin'. I get it. You don't want people hoarding Zombie Dust, reselling it at retail, and putting it on eBay. Limit the shit to two cases per person. The rest of your shit, let us enjoy it. I mean, how many people out there buy $120 cases of IPA in quantity anyway? It can't be that big an issue. I can list all the BA's on here who benefited from my visit to FFF, and each of them can probably name people who benefited from THEM sharing.
    People want to say I'm entitled? Why are the 12 people I'm sharing with less entitled to enjoy FFF beer than the other dozen that live down the street? I guess I don't understand that part.

MrMcGibblets, Keffa and oldp0rt like this.
  9. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Questionable...

10. Yeah, they make some stuff I don't care for. However, I've had nothing but awesome experiences with the Zombie Dust, Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Live a Rich Life, and Apocalypse Cow. Trust me, if we had it available in PA, I can think of a ton of IPA's I typically buy that would take the back seat quite often. Just personal taste. I really enjoy their IPA's.

11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Ok first of all my post wasn't directed solely at you.

Second off, funny how now you are saying you specifically made the trip to help your bro's out when initially it was you stopped on the way from a fishing trip.....so not exactly genuine that you drove there just to be awesome and bring FFF back to your fellow BA's.

Thirdly go back and read your first post in this thread, it certainly is whiny and entitled sounding....if unintentionally so.

Fourthly the people that live 10 miles certainly have equal right to the beer as you as they are the ones supporting them day in and day out and not flashing down a grand at a time once a year, though I bet many spend that much over the course of time and likely more as they eat there, bring friends and family there, etc. So YES they are as equally entitled as you to buy whatever they can, which is clearly ultimately up to FFF.

And no I get it, you don't like what FFF did but you could state so with some class instead of coming out guns blazing telling them to fuck off. THAT is the part I feel makes you sound entitled. Ironically I don't disagree entirely with your point but I also know the supply and demand issues are something they have been dealing with for a long time.

raymo55 and Retail1LO like this.
  12. raymo55

Please don't send me that crap! :cool:

13. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

They should check IDs and depending on how far you live from 3 Floyds determines how many cases you can buy. It seems like the only fair thing to do.

SpottedZombie likes this.
  14. I went on a fishing trip. FFF is on the way. Since it was on the way, I said "Hey, who wants some Three Floyd's?" And it was for the bro's as I took a whopping two cases for the fishing trip. I certainly didn't need to rent a pickup for my two cases. And I can see where it seems whiny and entitling when you don't understand the reason for my being upset. Next, I never said I was more entitled. Simply equally entitled. If someone else can spend a grand there over the course of a year, why can't I? Never mind my cousin, uncle, father, and two friends of the family got there at two and stayed til nearly 7. That tab was a few hundred bucks as well with food and beverage, plus buying drinks for the locals we were happy to meet. I was more than happy to do that by the way. We had fun. Telling them to fuck off was inappropriate. No doubt. As for the guns blazing part, I'm an emotional person, and I'm unapologetic about it, too. Supply and demand, I get that. As I said, I simply don't understand why catering to these 12 people is frowned upon, but these other 12 ok.

Keffa and MordorMongo like this.
  15. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Wondering if you're familiar with the term "let it go."

Dude, hipster bloggers are even making fun of you. Let. It. Go.

Axic10 likes this.
  16. raymo55

I just finished off 2 amazing Michigan beers while reading all of this crap!

SMILE! :D And have a beer! :p

robbiemoy13 and Retail1LO like this.
  17. I actually found the blog rather amusing. Being made fun of by such a person, or anyone else on the Internet, isn't really something I get upset over.

18. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Poor hayden

Retail1LO and Axic10 like this.
  19. Steimie

Obviously.

Retail1LO likes this.
  20. A. No one is entitled to beer. Not if you live behind the brewery or 100 miles away (I will allow that employees are entitled to beer -- never said I wasn't a hypocrite). On the flipside, Three Floyds is entitled to run their business however they like.

B. Bringing beer from the wilds of Indiana back East is not some sort of holy mission. It's not like ferrying provisions to people trapped in Leningrad during the early 1940's (for the record, this is not an invocation of Godwin's Law, though surely that's going to happen soon). No one is a martyr. There's no such thing as the Gospel of Zombie Dust.

21. jegross2

Well that's patently false.

SpottedZombie and MrMcGibblets like this.
  22. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (280) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Hey, Hayden:

Let's say I go see a concert and want to buy 12 tickets, and they'll only sell me 6. In protest, I flap my arms up and down, throw wads of money at the ticket booth, and yell "MY MONEY IS GOOD! YOU WILL SELL ME TICKETS OR YOU AND QUEENSRYCHE COULD GO FUCK YOURSELVES!"... it doesn't make me A) any more entitled to the tickets; B) any more right; C) tolerable; D) worthy of respect, no matter how many shows I've gone and seen there in the past, or how much I've paid for tickets.

I agree with some of your points. Yeah, it sucks that 3F is limiting case sells, even if I do think limiting ZD sales is probably justifiable.

But see how I said that without saying they should go fuck themselves?

Now have a beer, chill out, and please, kindly refrain from fucking yourself (all peaceful n'shit).

stxSS07 and raymo55 like this.
  23. jegross2

Even I am sick and tired of gettin alerts about this thread.

beergurujr and raymo55 like this.
  24. raymo55

Everyone need to "like" this comment! :oops:

25. Steimie

Yeah, but what would happen if, instead of flapping your arms, you chose to stand there in Silent Lucidity?

26. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (540) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Win.

27. good god i hate so many of you

beergurujr and Msmith8814 like this.
  28. johnsaulrubio

I suspect that suddenly, I'll hear and see this magic new dimension.

29. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Ahhh...It's Mr. "Fuck Beer Advocate." There is a lot other stuff that's much more deserving of getting so upset over than this site...

Hate is a pretty strong word...

30. I already admitted that telling them to go fuck themselves was inappropriate. Now...either you didn't read that, or you did, and just feel like beating the horse some more. :p Tickets are a little bit different. There's a finite number, and it's one show. FFF makes beer. All the time. It's all they do. They're not going to run out of beer. They make more. Where Zombie Dust is concerned, it's year round. They'll be making it all the time. It's not a annual release. It's not a one off. Still, I understand the desire to not have someone buy 20 cases at a time. I just had no idea the rest of their stuff sold out so quick that you can't have any of it if you have 2 cases of their year round Dust already.

31. its so easy to get upset on the internet though

32. Sounds like someones got a case of the Tuesdays

33. johnsaulrubio

I was going to get 6 cases of the Tuesdays, but they said no.

jreaton618 likes this.
  34. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I know I promised that I wouldn't post on this thread again, and I apologize for yelling, but with the new limits... YOU AND THE PEOPLE YOU WERE WITH COULD HAVE BOUGHT 12 CASES OF THREE FLOYDS BEER.

If that is "not enough beer," then I just don't know what to say. And what about a stop on the way back? It is only 15 minutes off the expressway.

My mind keeps being blown by this thread and I am not going to read it anymore because it is only a thread about beer on the fucking internet and it is making me crazy.

35. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i'm just glad the place didn't burn down last week. they still sell beer.

36. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Probably shouldn't have made such a fuss about the whole thing then.

37. jegross2

Now I'm invigorated and pissed off!

Retail1LO likes this.
  38. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

Do they make more money selling the beer at the brewpub or to a distributor?

39. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

I've come to the conclusion, as I sit here enjoying a Gumballhead after working the second shift, that whenever Three Floyds farts, someone here on BA has something to say about it... Geez, people, don't you realize Three Floyds is laughing all the way to the bank, with all this free publicity as "the evil empire that makes great beer for the masses."

40. Y
    I shouldn't need my entire family to mule varieties of beer they make year round. By the way, I don't come back the same way I head out, so an additional visit on the return trip isn't an option...nor does the nature of the trip dictate there will be anyone more than me that can even make it there. Stop making assumptions and you won't go crazy.