1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Case Sales at Three Floyds

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Wseitz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Remember when people used to travel for beer and enjoy it within the context of its particular place instead of feeling entitled to every beer produced, just because it's out there?

2. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (635) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

No..? A time like that existed? :confused:

3. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

No

da_bulls likes this.
  4. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (370) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

I guess you youngins didn't live back in the 1970's, when we had to walk 9 miles each way- uphill both directions- in a snowstorm- just to drink a glass of Falstaff. Warm. And we LIKED it.

Skye1024 likes this.
  5. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Savant (250) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I have a hard time imagining someone spending the time and effort to ship 144 bottles of Zombie Dust per trip to FFF. There's nothing I can imagine anyone wanting to trade for, that would be worth the time and effort it would take to bubble-wrap and baggie up that much beer. I respectfully disagree. I would suggest that people buying 6 cases were usually either buying to hook up their bro network ("hey buddy, I'm going to drive 14000 hours to FFF tomorrow, you want a case of Zombie Dust?") or buying to resell at Podunk Liquors. More the former than the latter, though.

6. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Zombie Dust is not the focus of my point...although a cursory look at the trading forum shows a few mentions of it, and how many are kept around as "extras"...or taken home to trade for other stuff with friends? And it's naive to think a good amount of six packs arent sent around. 144 might be a lot to box up, 6 isnt.

Trading is why shelves go empty so fast, period....and since i have to spell it out, i'm not talking about Three Floyds, i'm talking about "rare/special" beer in general.

7. TapeDeck

With all due respect, no, you're changing the subject.

I'm talking specifically about the brewpub case limit and not your store, not beer buying in general. That's a different topic.

Apples and oranges, in my opinion.

8. Vav

9. TapeDeck

Right... people trade... but I don't know why you're talking about "shelves going empty" and rare/special etc, in response to a discussion of the 6 case limit going down to 2 cases.

Do we care about this discussion enough to just ask someone at FFF for the reason for their decision? I'm still willing to bet that trading is not a consideration for them, and that reselling is. But the bottom line is I really don't give too much of a crap, since I've never wanted to buy 6 cases of anything.

10. Vav

FFF is in general considered "rare/special"...but, i think we've reached an impasse. Fair enough then. I should have been more clear.

FFF doesnt have "shelves" per se, but the metaphor remains valid, i think.

And i'm with you completely, i dont see the point in buying 6 cases of anything.

11. TapeDeck

Cheers!

12. thereal

thereal Aficionado (200) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Apparently neither of you have bathed in rare. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking six cases up.

chanokokoro and Vav like this.
  13. Vav

You know, i have a Rare barrel at the store. I bet i could fill it and charge admission to bathe in the water that comes out...

chanokokoro and thereal like this.
  14. thereal

thereal Aficionado (200) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

*Cut to* line of 100 nut jobs at your door 6 AM Thursday.

TapeDeck likes this.
  15. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (375) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

This sucks for me. When I come home from Chicago, sometimes I stop to pick up a few cases for my friends. 6 was usually the perfect amount.

16. ^hey stoutirish sweet avatar, check mine out ;)

17. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

To be fair, I can't fault a guy that wants to trade some Zombie Dust for some Pliny the Elder or Heady Topper (we're agreed that everything else on his ISO is pretty ridiculous). As much as some people want to complain, there's at the very least 3 bottle shops I could walk into tomorrow and buy a fresh 6er of Zombie Dust in Chicago. It's not that scarce, you just have to know where to look.

I almost always have a 6er of Zombie Dust in my fridge, and drink about 4 per week. Several times per year I'll feel like mixing it up and send a 6er along for a 4pack of Heady Topper...what's wrong with that?

ravot likes this.
  18. TapeDeck

Nothing... That's besides his point, which is already a tangent to this thread.

Fwiw, I'd bet more than one of those bottle shops didn't get that ZD through distro.

19. Why we can never find ZD at castle Vav.

20. Vav

Buying for the store is different.

However, you guys can fight over the ZD all you like, i shant be getting in your way. i just dont get that beer.

powz87, beergurujr and Msmith8814 like this.
  21. It has something to do with it tasting like citrus juice and causing inebriation. :D

cadizkyguy likes this.
  22. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

It aint what youd call a balanced beer, thats for sure.
    I do like how its taken attention away from Alpha King which I think is an absolutely phenomenal beer.

23. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Well that's the point of the limit. I'm not sure how many people you are buying for, but everyone will have to make do with a sixer or two instead of a case. That way more people can have the opportunity to enjoy it. Many may not get the amount they want, but most will at least get some.

24. mdomask

mdomask Savant (360) Illinois May 27, 2012

25. TapeDeck

It's the best standard beer FFF makes, by far (Alpha King.)

26. Man this is ridiculous, I swear before they implemented this case limit the beer was more available at the brewpub. I'm talking before the summer time, before the start of June. I would go to FFF at least twice a month from the start of this year and they always had cases of ZD and GBH. It seems like they have cut production on the beer or the case limit made people go crazy and they are picking up their 2 case limit everyday. /rant

27. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Advocate (565) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

I'll be sharing once i get a few cases beer it forward

28. Vav

Zombie Dust or Zombie Thread?

MarkIntihar, Lansman and sarcastro like this.
  29. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Advocate (565) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

dust.I've read through a ton of 3 floyd threads and it appears this maybe the only way sone BA's get to try 3floyd stuff

30. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (390) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Zombie Dust cases are for sale at the brewpub right now!!

31. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Advocate (515) Illinois May 17, 2013

I'll be there next Tuesday, since I have a client a few miles from the brewpub. Hoping there's still some left then!

32. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

{insert picture from south park}....and its gone

33. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

"but I'm just helping out another beer fan that doesn't have access. When I buy three of everything I'm just being a noble guy helping out the community at large. They should erect a statue of me at dark lord day because I'm such a helping guy. I mean, granted I'm hurting my own local community of people I talk too and know but I get to use this beer as a commodity to trade up and over for crazy hyped things. Who buys beer to drink, I buy beer to trade." - avg BA lurker

GreenCoffee likes this.
  34. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Great! Now people can shut the fuck up and stop whining about it! Everyone go get your goddamn cases now!

cadizkyguy likes this.
  35. cetherid

cetherid Savant (420) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

I'm more excited that Alpha King and Evil Power are back in bottles.

36. Has anyone actually confirmed if case limits are still 2 cases or now just 1 case?

37. vic311

vic311 Aficionado (115) Illinois Jan 28, 2012

Just called them......2 case limit.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  38. Did I miss it in this thread? Has anoyne talked about case prices going up? Didn't it used to be $35/case and now the FFF site is showing $40 for cases and $10 for a six pack. so......no more slight discount for buying a case.

39. mdomask

mdomask Savant (360) Illinois May 27, 2012

It's in one of the other 9,000 Three Floyds threads in this forum.

40. Sounds about right.