1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cellar Questions

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by alysmith4, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Forgive my ignorance, but how critical is it to cellar beer at 55-60 degrees? I'm just starting out, and currently have stuff stored in a closet in my condo - which is about 65-70. I have a storage unit in the basement of the building, which seems to be much cooler - I'd guess 55-60. I'm thinking of moving things down there, but I was just wondering if this was necessary. I read the BA "How to Store Beer" article, but I was looking for some personal advice.

Also, I looked at the "cellar pictures," and see that most people store on shelves, in boxes, or in a fridge. Any suggestions for someone with limited space? I'm wondering if there's some sort of "crate" that would be ideal for moving/storing beer. Thanks for any feedback!

2. the warmer, the faster your beer will "develop". if you are looking at 1-3 years, probably not a big deal. anything 5-10 years+? you may want to think more about it.

claspada, maximum12 and alysmith4 like this.
  3. I would agree. Anything you intend to drink in the next year or two can stay in the closet. Anything you intend to put away for 3+ years should go in the storage unit.

On a personal level, I find that Belgian strongs, barrel-aged beers, and Russian Imperial Stouts benefit more from colder more consistent temperatures, while Barleywines and sours can hold up just fine in warmer temperatures with some degree of fluctuation.

sirtomtom and alysmith4 like this.
  4. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Bingo