1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Cellaring At Room Temp?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by drew7777, Jan 10, 2013.

1. drew7777

drew7777 Aficionado (150) Virginia May 10, 2009

I'm sitting on decent amount of high alcohol stouts, quads, some barleywine, and sours. I don't have a place to keep my beer cool but I do have a closet to keep the sun off the bottles. Is there any issue with aging at about ~72 degrees? I thought that sunlight was more detrimental than this "heat"?

Am I doing any damage here?

2. I do the same thing; beers that are being aged sit in a closet that does not get heated or cooled and does not have any walls on the outside of my condo. Temperature is not as consistent as OP, range is more likely to be from 60-74.

I have been keeping beer in there for a few years now, and not had anything come out skunked or with any other really off flavors. I don't have anything that is more than 5 years old at this point, and have not drank anything from the closet that was older than that. My guess would be that because of the warmer temperatures, you may see a difference in beers that have been aged for a really long time.

Some of the really simple chemistry behind my guess are that increased temperatures tend to increase reaction rates. So perhaps aging a beer for 5 years at 72 would be equivalent to aging a beer for 7 years at 55.

I am sure that there is more going on than reaction kinetics though. Beer is alive, and some of the processes that occur that involve yeast may happen differently at different temperatures. And naturally different yeasts will do different things at different temperatures.

It probably comes down to some beers being fine at warmer temperatures, and others not aging as well. In any case, as long as you don't keep things for a really long time like I have, you should not have any issues.

3. drew7777

drew7777 Aficionado (150) Virginia May 10, 2009

Thanks for the feedback, just glad I'm not doing any damage. Household beer consumption has been cut in half for the past 4 months and will continue to be for the next 5 months. I'm saving some of these for the wife until after the baby comes.

glitchedmind likes this.
  4. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (515) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I feel your pain. Purchasing has gone up and consumption has gone down. Same thing...babies.
    Anyhow, if you have multiples, I would put one in a fridge or your cellar and the other in a box in the closet (which is what I'm doing). That way if the one in the box happens to go bad, you still have one that's been kept cooler. Though I don't think there should be any issues with putting them in a closet. Beer sits on store shelves for months, right?

5. Being inside a box, inside a closet should be better than the shelves at a store because more light will be blocked out.