1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cellaring Cantillon

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Lare453, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Should you and could you age all lambic a and gueze from cantillon?

If so, why?

If not, why and what ones should you not age?

2. I clicked on this to find out about collaring. I.am.disappoint.

In general, all cantillon cellar well. Some folks feel that the fruited (kriek, fou' foune, st lam) ones drink best fresh, but folks have had great results in aging those too.

I've seen reports of geuezes over 50 years old being fantastic. They were practically made for cellaring.

Gosox8787 and nate321 like this.
  3. IMO, all Cantillon is going to age great. The only reason not to age is if you personally like it better fresh. The only way you'll know is to drink some young and see what you think and then age some. The general consensus is that the fruit lambics lose their fruit forward nature over time but they certainly don't become bad either.

4. The Classic and LP Gueuze get significantly better with age for my taste. I've enjoyed St. Lam and Iris better aged as well. Otherwise I generally prefer my loonz fresh.

5. coyote711

coyote711 Disciple (70) New York Aug 4, 2010

Does the sourness mellow down with age?

6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

No. It typically gets more sour, in some cases (like Fou Foune) much, much, much more sour.

willandperry likes this.
  7. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Fresh Fou Foune didn't seem that sour to me (it was my first time trying it). How long do you think before you notice a significant change?

8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

3-4 years and it gets hardcore, 8 years and it becomes barbaric.

claaark13, TheMaroon and gpawned like this.
  9. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

out of curiosity, is this opinion on Fou Foune widely held?

10. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (280) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

There's a lot of vintage variation on aged Fou Foune. I don't think the 2005's are over the top sour right now. But the 2003 is intense! In general though, yes they are all a lot more sour than they were fresh. Personally, I prefer it collared, but I also make a point to drink 2 or 3 fresh every year as well.

Also, a couple of other points on this thread. I was never an Iris fan until I opened a 2003 Iris this year. Now I can't get enough of that vintage. I will collar and age as much Iris as I can.

Same with Bruocsella. We opened a 1996 Bruocsella at the a tasting along with a bunch of 'whales' (Don Quijote, JC Nomad, etc.). The 1996 Bruocsella was the best beer of the entire tasting. I've never had anything like it, and like Iris, i will be collaring Bruocsella's for a long long time.

11. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I agree with Bruocsella's, I haven't had a 1996 (yet) but that's def one of my fav Cantillons.