1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cellaring DFH

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ABVfreak, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ABVfreak

ABVfreak Aficionado (140) Virginia Nov 27, 2009

Anyone have any input/experiences with cellaring Dogfish Head. I have quite a few and was wondering what other's experiences have been like.

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

What are you cellaring?

3. Palo Santo Marron is awesome fresh and even better with age. World Wide Stout and 120 min are both great candidates for some aging as well. I tried an Immort fresh and wasn't a fan, I'm keeping a second bottle for a while to see where it goes.

4. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

It might seem unconventional but Burton Baton. I had a 2007 BB last spring and it was phenomenal!

mstobbs, RyanCave and c64person like this.
  5. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

hoping to have the same experience. i hated 2012's fresh burton baton (virulent hatred), but put away 3 of them to test this out. my instincts say it will turn to goodness, despite the clamoring of the "don't cellar ANYTHING!" militia:) (which i'm more or less a part of).

WWS is awesome with a few years. olde school wins the "most improved" award with 5~ years, going from borderline undrinkable to top3 barleywine. raison d'extra i honestly think just sucks, aged or not. 120 min best fresh IMO (hops + oxygen = uh oh). 90min turns to shit after like 6 months. squall IPA is miraculously delicious at any age. never tried palo santo or immort aged.

6. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Palo and Burton are both great with some age on them from my experience.. Bitch's Brew too. WWS and 120 need it IMO, too hot fresh, and Olde School does good too with time. I don't drink much else from DFH that I've liked enough to try again.

7. My first "craft" beer I bought was a DFH '09 black and blue. Anyone ever sit on this? I'm thinking it might just carry sentimental value at this point rather than being a beer that has improved any...

8. How long was the bitches brew cellared? I bought a bottle from the brewery in January and plan to keep it for a bit.

9. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I had three bottles from the original batch. Had one fresh, then one of them about six weeks ago, and it was still delicious. The last one will sit another year or so.

Njstoutlover23 likes this.
  10. No DFH beer benefits as much from age as Olde School

Njstoutlover23 likes this.
  11. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

Properly cellared DFH 120 ages into something wonderful.

HighWine and beercanman like this.
  12. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I felt the same way with immort.

13. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

+1 for Palo Santo Marron. It's fantastic with a couple years of age on it.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  14. I wouldn't keep it for that long, I just drank a year old Bitches brew and it was not nearly as tasty as a fresh bottle.

15. I've got a bottle of Fort I'm planning on sitting on for at least 3 years, heard it turns into gold (hopefully), I'm still a big advocate on cellaring Burton, I don't even drink them fresh anymore, they're so good with a year or so on them.

16. Ok, I may open it after six months. I bought it in January but according to 2012 release schedule it was released in September or October of 2012.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  17. I feel Burton Baton and Immort are the best when aged. I've had Burton as far back as four years and an Immort just under two years.

I've got two Fort from 2008 sitting and I've even liked Red/White and Black/Blue with around 18 months on them.

18. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Thanks for heads up. I'm just getting into cellaring and I had plans to put 6 of these down. I may only put one down to see, but it seems that I'll be enjoying one of my favorite beers a bit more often in the future.

19. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

I've got two Bitches Brews from the original batch (2010?) I may have to open one soon. It's a delicious beer.

20. Just don't cellar 90 min. Obvious I know but there always seems to be some joker here at some point proclaiming that crazy intention.

21. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

olde school is awesome with age man. i also think immort also improves a ton as well

22. I'm currently aging a fort, among other things. I believe it's a 2011 and it was fantastic when I had it that year, might go crazy and age that around 15yrs.

This past weekend I had Immort from 97, 11 and this last release in 13. The 97 was extremely smooth and tame, with a very subdued woodenness to it. You got the most vanilla out of it with almost a cherry tone.

The 11 I thought was the best out of the three. The oakeness was subdued just enough for it not to be harsh paired with the booziness. It was almost smokey to a point. The booze still lingered but not as much it did fresh. It was a perfect balance with a great deal of depth coming from the maple and vanilla.

The fresh I don't think I'll ever pop again, unless I'm doing comparisons like this. It was very hot and oaky. And a little rough to drink. But among those, I have Old School, 120, WWS and a few others still aging.

23. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (895) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

I will say that Olde School does get better with age but WWS benefits the most from age. I did a 06-11 vertical last summer and found the 2006 and 2007 to be some of the best beers I have had, but the fresh bottle I had was way too boozy and almost undrinkable. I can enjoy fresh Olde School but WWS needs to be aged.

24. WWS with about 3 years on it tastes like a regular 9% Imp stout. Glorious.

25. erter99

erter99 Zealot (95) Tennessee Apr 30, 2011

I think cellared 120 minute is awful. Agree that WWS is fantastic after some aging.

26. dhartogs

dhartogs Savant (350) Virginia Apr 29, 2010

I just had a 3.5 year old Palo, it was amazing. DFH themselves will age Burton, but I like it fresh better. All of the others mentioned are great aged.

27. ABVfreak

does anyone have any DFH bottles that have the "Bottled In" stamped on it with no date under it? I have a Fort that has been cellared for at least four years and have no way of figuring the bottling date because of the missing date.

28. ABVfreak

I have an '09 WWS. Did you taste test yours against another year?

erter99 likes this.
  29. ABVfreak

man, I am cellaring a whole bunch...its actually more of obsessive collecting. I have a couple Squall IPAs, 09 WWS, 10 BB and essentially one of each of the 750ml line (w. the exception of highly sought after ones).

30. erter99

erter99 Zealot (95) Tennessee Apr 30, 2011

No, I didn't. This one was a little older, maybe '06? Fantastic ... nay perfect ...

31. ShogoKawada told me in another thread that holding on to it for at least 5 years is the way to go. I've got two bottles now that are hanging out until 2018 at least. Who knows what I'll be celebrating when those get cracked.

erter99 likes this.
  32. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

I have a few DogFish brews in my basement, an 2010 WWS, seven 120's from 2012, a Burton baton from 2012, Hellhound from 2012, Namaste from 2011 that I just realized i had, NobleRot from 2012, Olde School from 2012, and theobroma from 2011.

I had a 4 year old D'Extra a few years ago and was blown away

I had a few of their ancient ales vintage last night and was pretty impressed. I'm biased though, DogFish can do no wrong by me :)

33. That Burton Baton can go easily 18 months. I had one at a year and it was great. A little longer and I think it could have been amazing. Or it could have been ruined. Cellaring's always a crap shoot. Either way - give it a year at least and you'll be rewarded with fruity marmalade and vanilla. Super smooth.

34. RyanCave

That's exciting! thanks for the heads up bro!

35. Do you mean you have like one each of the ones from the occasional rarities or from the collaborations? Also, are those squalls any good still? I missed out on them. I had a Faithfull Ale last night and it was ok. I bought it since they don't make it anymore.

36. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I have a few bottles of Positive Contact that I am hoping gets really sour. Also, have Noble Rot, Estrusa, Chateau Jiahu and Saison du BUFF which hopefully will be good this summer. Who knows...

37. I find Chateau Jiahu to be much better fresh, and the same goes with Saison du BUFF.

38. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Drink that Hellhound with some age and you might change your tune. All the lemon falls out and the remaining flavors are a bit weak.

39. RyanCave

I think I'll drink it tonight then :)