Cellaring DIPA

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mrwflyin, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mrwflyin

mrwflyin Initiate (0) Missouri Mar 21, 2012

Hello to all!

Another terrible day watching playoff hockey and drinking a Palate Wrecker! Would love any input on the cellaring ability of Double or Imperial IPA's. I realize that hops are one of the first things to go in a beer that ages, but what are the limits of the DIPA? Do any get better with age? Any for sure bet recommendations? I love this style of brew, but also love the idea of cellaring brews. Thanks to all!

2. The consensus is pretty much no. Don't cellar DIPAs. The hop characteristic is what makes these beers what they are. There are a few exceptions though (and of course there will be differing opinions on these). 120 Minute, Squall, 75 Minutes, other bottle conditioned DIPAs all have aging potential. Will they be better with age? Depends on your taste.

mrwflyin likes this.
  3. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

It's just based on your preferences man. So long as you know what your getting into, then sure- throw them in the cellar. The only DIPA I've had "cellared" were Dogfish Head Burton Baton and 120 Minute. Since Burton is a blend of an IPA aged on oak, it makes a bit more sense. I would think that Cigar City White Oak Jai Alai may be ok too for the same reason as the Burton. The ABV of 120 is so high that the aging process rounds it off a bit more.

I don't really see the benefit of again the "average" DIPA because the typical ingredients don't really lend themselves to the aging process (exceptions- see above). FWIW, I also prefer all of the above mentioned beers fresh (including the 120).

As a matter of personal preference, I prefer them as fresh as possible, but that's just my taste- not yours. Take a couple and toss them in the basement for a few months and see what happens. If you like it awesome, if not, then you know.

mrwflyin likes this.
  4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

most likely nothing good will happen. there's a decent chance you'll like the cellared DIPA, but even so it you probably won't like it as much as when it was when fresh.

notice though, if the beer is readily available to you, it's not really any skin off anyone's back if you just hold on to 1~2 bottles if you have the space.

however, if you love it, please refrain from trying to convince everyone in the world that DIPAs are better cellared in a year or two :(. personal preference is one thing (if you like it, you really shouldn't let general consensus stop you from doing it with your beer), but "i'm different, i know the True Way," is one of the worst messageboard phenomena.

mrwflyin likes this.
  5. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (325) California Jul 25, 2008

Don't do it. Drink IPAs and DIPAs fresh. That is all.

egrace84 likes this.
  6. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Savant (405) Florida Jul 6, 2008

At least for me, too much age on a DIPA always seems to bring out a heavy oxidated/cardboardy element in the beer. Very unpleasant.

7. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (410) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

I have had good experience with Hopslam being aged. I know-don't kill me!!!!!!!! My brother got a sixer as a present and threw it in his basement. Well, 3 years later I found it and tried a few to find out that it was amazing. The hops had faded a ton, but it was like a sweet barleywine that I loved. He also had Stone Ruination-which was not as good and still pretty damn hoppy:) He also had a DFH 120 min. I was so pumped to try this beer for the first time......not so much. It was awful, tasted like nail polish remover and not much else. It was probably infected.

I recently aged a Founders Double Trouble for 1 year. It was not good. It was the same beer as far as taste, except 75% less of a wow factor(ie-evertyhing faded!). Hope this helps??

8. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Why do people continue to ask this?

claaark13, GRG1313, jtmartino and 2 others like this.
  9. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

I purposely buy an extra 6er of hopslam to keep for a year for enjoyment in the hopslam offseason and it holds up quite well but I keep mine refrigerated so that might make a difference.

10. I aged some Oaked Arrogant Bastard and found I liked it better after about a year. I'm aging some Great Divide Hercules just as an experiment as well....and the fact that I have 2 cases of the stuff and its hard to drink a bomber of IIPA every day lol. First World Beer Geek Problems!!!

11. Why do people continue to talk about beer?

The real question is why do people open threads that they have no interest in reading just to denigrate other people who are trying to learn?

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Just to annoy you.

*goes to put some super fresh DIPAs in cellar*

13. Pahn

people need to grow up. criticism doesn't mean the speaker is wasting their time opening up the thread.

also, if you think the question, "why do people continue to talk about beer?" is equivalent to "why do people continue to ask this? [ie the same question about aging beer whose defining characteristic disappears within months]" there's something wrong with you.

jtmartino and stupac2 like this.
  14. Hanzo

Why do some brewers puts "ages well" on their DIPAs then?

Is it impossible to prefer the taste of a DIPA with a year on it?

15. Pahn

it's not impossible to prefer a lot of things. so what?

16. Hanzo

So why chastise people for asking this question when some brewers actually advocate it?

17. Well those of us who were on BA for 6 years before you were already heard every question you ever asked on here. Would you have learned anything if every question you asked people ridiculed and asked why you were bothering?

18. Pahn

the implication being that all these questions about cellaring hoppy beers are coming from one or two bottles in the past few years that said "ages well" (probably DFH)?

it makes sense, and should get no criticism whatever, that people ask, daily, without searching to see if it's been asked multiple times even since the new forum went up, if it's generally thought of as a good idea to take a hoppy beer, put it in a box, wait for the hop flavor to disappear, and then drink it?

no. it's a silly question. you can answer it politely like i did above, but there is no reason to become a white knight and save all the Poor Sensitive Messageboarders who might receive criticism for this question.

19. Pahn

yes, because a) i know how to use the search function, b) i think about things before i say them.

the world won't end if someone criticizes a repeatedly asked question. also, again, "why did you open this thread if you don't like it?" is even more repeated than "should i cellar DIPAs?" and much more worthy of criticism.

20. Well bumping a thread that has died a long time ago is even more faux pas that starting a new one that has already been discussed.

According to the "rules," once something has been discussed at one point in time and people stopped talking about it, it should never be discussed again.

You were nice and answered his question, thus helping him learn about something that he didn't know much about. The other guy was just wasting the time of everyone who might be interested in discussing this topic.

21. Ignorance is truly bliss.
    I was under the impression that cellaring simply required at least 7%
    I have not discriminated in stashing 1-3 of most high octane beers I buy. DFH 120, Big Foot, Golden Monkey, some RIS among others were all phenomenal.

Reading up more on here, I thought CRAP all those DIPAs and imperial pumpkins sitting downstairs are for waste? So I ran down last night and threw them in the beer fridge to start consuming.

Well Jai Alai is AMAZING. Bottle date June 29 2011. Reminds me of DFH 120 sweetness at the finish after the surprising hit of hops at first taste.

22. Next, Boulder Mojo IPA enjoy by Aug 09 2012
    No cardboard, no disaster. Plenty carbonated. Starts off semi-sweet, still some bitter hop finish.

23. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Dark Horse - Double Crooked Tree (DIPA) ages into a mind-blowing Barleywine! But that's an exception to the rule.

MSandahl23 and nickapalooza86 like this.
  24. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

There are a few exceptions to that rule - a few of them, mostly the maltier ones - can turn into a barleywine or similar. However, the general rule to aging DIPAs, IIPAs, etc is: DON'T!!!!!!!

25. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

Are there any good brewers that do this?

claaark13 likes this.
  26. Hanzo

Dogfish Head, says it on 75min and 120min, I think on others as well. Also Squall is great with age.

Come to think of it, maybe they are the only ones.

27. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

So... no.

28. Pretty much every dipa I've had just taste like sweet faded/stale hops. Aroma is pretty much gone. The malt in a DIPA is generally too simple to stand on it's own. Ends up just tasting sweet without much other worthwhile flavor. If you were to age it long enough to a point where the hops dont stand out much you are probably risking oxidation making the beer worse.

But some people actually enjoy these things.

29. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

What brewer does that?

EDIT: question already answered, my bad

30. sacrelicio

No but don't pretend sour milk is the same as cheese.

31. sacrelicio

Never. The ONLY exceptions are DIPAs that have extremely high ABV (I'd say 12% or above) like 120 Minute, Double Crooked Tree, maybe Founders Devil Dancer, etc. And even if an IPA is super high octane, you never really know how it will turn out.

32. Hanzo

Meh, they make some shitty beers but overall they have quite a few winners and are a "good" brewery. Where they falter is trying to experiment. If they'd just stick with limited release barrel aged wax tipped imperial stouts they'd be golden. But to each their own.

33. chrispoint

chrispoint Savant (335) Connecticut Oct 14, 2009

it was the same but the wow factor dropped by 3/4?

wat

34. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (410) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

"Wat" I mean is that is sucked compared to fresh DT... can you not comprehend that??

35. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Cellared DIPAs usually taste like crappy barleywines. If you're looking for that flavor, BUY A DAMN BARLEYWINE.

claaark13 likes this.
  36. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Yep. And if, for some reason, you want the flavor of old and stale hops as part of that profile, get an American barleywine. Which is why Bigfoot tends to be a cellar staple for a lot of people. It's not just about ABV, it's about the specific mix of malts involved and how they continue to evolve with age, especially with very mild oxidation. Any true DIPA is going to be almost entirely base pale malt with a touch of crystal malt and maybe some acidulated malt. Those that are capable of evolving will have a lot more crystal malt -- and tend to have malt that clashes with the hops at release as a result.

jtmartino likes this.
  37. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I wouldn't, nothing like a fresh crisp IPA/DIPA. Age it the hops fade, and it's a malty gooey mess depending on the beer. Nothing like a dead ass DIPA that should be zinging you.

38. chrispoint

chrispoint Savant (335) Connecticut Oct 14, 2009

I can't comprehend that something tastes the same but different.