1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cellaring Trinity Brewing Beers

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Srodri10, May 9, 2013.

1. I origionally posted this in the Cellaring/Aging forum but I feel this might be a better forum to post in. I just recently was in Denver and brough back a bunch of Trinity Brewing Beers. I wanted to see some peoples thoughts on what would cellar well and what should be drank right away.

I bought the following as well as their descriptions and ABV: My thoughts are do drink the slap yer mammy ASAP; and age a few of the others....Thoughts?

Pappy Legba, Crimson Saison. Brewed with just a touch of flaked maize for a seductive and creamy texture, this red Saison is undeniably focused on fruit. Post fermentation this special Belgian is aged on a grip of pie cherries, lending it more of a Kriek profile rather than Saison. As Pappy is the guardian of the crossroads, this Imperial Saison releases every January. What beer will you be drinking at your crossroads? 13.0% ABV

Le Capitaine, Petite Bouddha. A Blonde Saison Regal brewed as the tipping of the hat to Peter Bouckaert. Brewed with an absurd amount of pumpkin, candied endive, cacao nibs, and Buddha's hand, then fermented with various strains of Bretta, Lacto, and Saison yeast. The resulting beer has a light body and very softly spoken complexities. Extremely drinkable for a very large Super Saison. 10.4% ABV

TPS Report, Wild American Bretta. If you love the funky side of Belgium then you will love our TPS Report. The grain bill for this beer includes flaked oats and flaked wheat, and the recipe is flavored with tangerine and lemon zests. Fermented 100% with a very rare variety of Brettanomyces this beer is the funky funky farmhouse, wet wool, and heavy leather that we've all grown to love. Exceedingly aromatic, yet drinkable! Bottled once a year and triple fermented for authenticity. No printers or faxes were harmed in the making of this beer. GABF GOLD MEDAL 2009, Bronze 2012; 4.8% ABV

Oh Face, ancient and wild provisional Saison. If you ever wanted to time and space travel to rural southern Belgium during the 1800's, this is the beer to do it with. The malt bill consists of a combination of barley, oats, wheat, rye and spelt. For the fermentation we use a blend of Saison yeast with wild 3 Brettanomyces strains, then we spice this beer with lavender and age it on French oak. 6.5% ABV

Red Swingline, IPA Primitif. Ever had an extremely hoppy sour beer before? The answer is NO, because the microbes that create the cheek puckering sour are extremely sensitive to hops! We've figured out a method to get around these sensitivities and developed a 100 IBU primitive IPA. It's fermented with Lacto and Bretta, aged on French Oak Barrels, and then dry hopped. Belgian in inspiration, this beer is brewed using coriander and tangerine zest to reinforce the citrus character of the Lactobacillus and hops. 4.1%

Slap Yer Mammy is a shocking Double IPA! Coming in at 10.5% ABV this huge ale is brewed with 7 of the highest quality malts and 9 varieties of hops! On our 125 minute boil we pack in 125 IBU's, making this one of the hoppiest beers ever brewed in the world. If that's not enough hops, then just wait! Unlike any of our other beers, we dry hop this one twice to pack in as much aroma as possible! A truly shocking Double IPA all you Hopophiles. 10.5% ABV
  2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The labels specify...
    [​IMG]
    Under bottle # it says may be cellared indefinitely.
  3. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

You could cellar all of them except Mammy. But try the beers fresh first because you won't have anything to base your judgement on to see if cellering did anything to the beer. I will tell you OH!Face, TPS Report and Red Swingline are too good right now to not drink.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  4. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Red Swingline is dry hopped and fanfuckingtastic, drink it now. I wish they would fill corny kegs of this for me.
  5. SFACRKnight

Just echoing everyone else, red swingline is pretty amazing. Drink that shit up.
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  6. yea I bought almost two of everything....except for the red swing line. Yea the slap yer mammy I will not cellar. I did only bring 1 le capitaine as I originally bought 2 but drank 1 in my hotel and now I wish I would have brough back 2. What do you guys think of the Pappy one? I forgot I also bought Little death ride....Thoughts on those?
  7. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Pappy Legba will be good either way. I love that beer. Haven't had Little Death Ride as I won't pull the trigger on the $25 price tag. Open them now and enjoy your weekend!
  8. slap yer mammy tastes like hop tea, good but weird
  9. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Tried to find Red Swingline today in FC and struck out.
  10. yea a lot of my friends in the chicagoland area dont know about Trinity so I want to make sure I open it with the right people....Thanks for your input everyone
  11. Thanks for pointing this out...but interesting enough only a few of them state that...the le capitane doesnt say that and interesting enough that is one I thought for sure would have it on there...
  12. SFACRKnight

With trinity's attention to detail about cellaring, I would assume those that do not specify shouldn't be cellared. Death ride has some crazy fruit additions that may fall off during cellaring. When in doubt, drink it fresh.
    Not sure about denver, but it's all over the south metro, and isn't moving too fast. Pretty sure you've got some time to get into town and get some at your convenience.