1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Ohio Tasting June 2nd @ From the Vine

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Spider889, May 20, 2012.

?

What time should we start the tasting?

1. 1pm

26.7%
  2. 2pm

33.3%
  3. 3pm

13.3%
  4. 4pm

6.7%
  5. 5pm

26.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

Ok, this has been long overdue.

Official thread for the upcoming tasting at From the Vine. So far the main detail to work out is the time. I still vote for something earlier in the day (1pm or so start time) but one or two people have expressed interest in something in the evening. Jaimie said she's fine with us staying until closing if necessary, so we can work something later in the day if that is preferable for the majority.

A compromise might be to start around 3ish - that way it isn't so late in the day but will run late enough that someone arriving at 5 would still be welcome to join in the fun.

To make it simple I added a poll, and you can select multiple options if your availability is wide open. We'll then choose one of the top ranking times to start. I didn't include anything after 5 because frankly the tastings tend to run 3-4 hours easy (if not longer) anyways.

• Please be courteous while in attendance, this is a working business so we want to be mindful of the store property as well as the customers that come in and out.
    • Bring your own glassware, no guarantee that there will be available glasses if you don't.
    • Bring a snack if you plan on staying the whole time - you don't have to bring enough to share if you don't want to, but that would be appreciated.
    • When you leave make sure your mess is cleaned up.
    • Bring a cooler if you like, but one of the nice things about doing this in a bottle shop is that we will be able to use the in-store cooler in the back to keep our beer cold.

Things needed:

1. Tables. I can provide a single long card table, but one or two more would be needed to accommodate everyone. (Jaimie's normal tables will not be in the store that day.)
    2. Chairs. I can also provide approx. 4 chairs, but we'll need another 8-12 depending how many express intent to show.

That's about it. These things are generally fairly laid back and informal, so come and go as you please. Bring whatever is available - homebrew, off-the-shelf locals, or your recent trade rarities.

It would be polite if everyone made a purchase while we were there to support/thank the business that let us use their space, but this isn't required. Main thing, again, is to keep everything clean and in order when we depart.

If you have questions feel free to post/msg me or also Jaimie at From the Vine (cabgoddess).
  2. tat2dhllblly

tat2dhllblly Savant (350) Ohio Apr 10, 2010

We do have a small card table we can bring. Also are you looking for folder chairs or bag chairs? Just want to be sure not to offend our hostess or the venue.

Homebrew:
    Baltic Porter
    Dark Cherry Dry Mead
    Coffe Brown Ale

Commercial:
    Odells BB Stout
    Bruery Marron Acidifie

and other stuff we are not sure of yet. Any suggestions or wants people have been wanting to try? BA Pt5, Baller, Lolita, Bramble, Temptation, Big John, Sexual Chocolate, Alphalpha, Serpant Sout, Rye Da Lightning, Lord Admiral Nelson, Zombie Dust, La Folie, Boogoop, etc..........
  3. Spider889

No need to go overkill on what you bring, but I'd be happy to add ZD, Baller, or Bramble. Interested to try the Acidife as it must be about a year old now, and it was sour as hell fresh. Should be fun.

By bag chairs do you mean the ones used for camping/tailgating? If so those are fine, as are folding chairs.
  4. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Would love to try the Bramble and Acidifie!

It should be no problem to spend a little money at From The Vine, they have an AWESOME selection!

I'm not sure exactly what I'll bring, but after taking a quick look at what I go I'm thinking maybe a Uinta Labyrinth and a Swamp Head/Cigar City Roosevelt Barley Wine. Maybe a few other goodies
  5. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Had the Labyrinth at Jackie O's, was pretty good.

Count me down for a card table, 4 folding chairs, a bomber of homebrew IPA, a New Holland Charkoota Rye, and a Firestone Walker Sucaba.

To Chris, choosing between ZD, Baller, and Bramble is too hard, bring all three :p
  6. Spider889

So far we're looking at 3 tables and at least 8 chairs. I'd say 1 more table and 4+ more chairs would be sufficient to be comfortable. Though tbh no matter what some people will likely be standing for at least some of the time since these always blow up in size at the very end, lol.

If you can/are providing either and haven't chimed in yet please do so your contribution is accounted for.
  7. tat2dhllblly

Bramble it is then. We will check over the weekend, might be able to grab some more tables/chairs. Will let you know.
  8. deadmule

deadmule Aficionado (150) Ohio Jan 6, 2010

I suggest that we should limit the number of bottles that everyone brings to 1 or 2. I think that’s how we did it at the last tasting and I thought it worked out great. We should also discuss doing a future homebrew only tasting. I had no idea that we have so many home brewers that come to these tastings. Unfortunately, I do not think my citra hoppyweizen will be ready for this tasting but I'll bring something from my "cellar".
  9. Spider889

Agreed - all homebrew would definitely be fun. Especially since, due to my work schedule, I am unable to participate in an official homebrew club like SODZ.
  10. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

I'm about to return to work after being out for forever with a sprained ankle- hoping i get my old schedule when i go back (otherwise i wouldn't be able to go). i have a few things i could potentially bring but will probably wait til i find out my schedule..
  11. cabgoddess

cabgoddess Aficionado (160) Ohio Dec 27, 2003

We have 4 chairs at the shop u guys can use, also a small round table.
  12. Spider889

Sounds good. Too bad you won't get to partake in any of the beers we'll be pouring...
  13. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (440) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Jealous. You guys have a good group and location. I WILL make it one day. Enjoy! Look forward to a wrap up BM highlighting the event. Take notes. Cheers!
    Dan
  14. Keffa

I can cut out the Wookey Jack, so my IPA and Sucaba it is.
  15. Spider889

I still plan to bring whatever homebrew I have available to share, so I might wind up with more than 2 bottles (almost certainly, actually). But considering it isn't the high gravity barrel-aged palate-wreaking stuff that typically gets opened at these things I figure it won't be an issue. Worst case scenario the less interesting ones don't get cracked or go home with some lucky participant. :D
  16. Keffa

Sounds like an idea to me. My IPA is 7%, the Sucaba, well...
  17. tat2dhllblly

Ok, cutting down the list:

Homebrew:
    Dark Cherry Dry Mead
    Coffe Brown Ale

Commercial:
    Bramble
    Marron Acidifie
  18. Keffa

I think I've had Marron 3 times now, and each time it's got more sour than the last. God help our tastebuds.
  19. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Trying to get off work for this one...if so I will bring
    1) Bruery - Oude Tart
    2) Bruery Batch 50
    something else maybe?
    Spider889 likes this.
  20. cabgoddess

cabgoddess Aficionado (160) Ohio Dec 27, 2003

Tell me about it! Keep my husband away from them or else you guys won't have any to par-take in! ;)
  21. Keffa

Say whaaa...? Oude Tart?

[​IMG]
    MaxSpang likes this.
  22. TomTwanks

23. MaxSpang

Shoot, I could always bring one of my six packs of Hu Dey beer from 1989!

[​IMG]

(not my pic btw)
  24. Keffa

Don't make me pull out the can of Non-Alcoholic Texas Light. I will do it.
  25. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

I plan on bringing my homebrewed Belgian IPA and Oatmeal Stout. I also want to bring a bomber of TBK Jackhammer Barleywine that's been in the cellar for about a year if that interests anyone.

Also, is this for BA's only or are we allowed to bring someone along?
  26. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

If anyone has this beer I would trade a whole cellar for one. Big fan
  27. Keffa

This is an understatement, Travis is a freaking Bengals nutcase.

Get this man his 6 pack! I'll add to it if need be.
  28. Spider889

We're only advertizing on BA, but anyone is welcome. I'm trying to get a former BA to come, and in the past significant others have attended as well. So long as they're not a BMC-swilling bro looking to make fun of people taking notes or knock tasting glasses on the floor (ala GABF) anyone can tag along. ;-)
  29. MaxSpang

You really want one? I got a sixer for ya.
  30. Keffa

Max, he wants it. Trust me.

And for what it's worth, I'm going to be married this weekend, so if I have any of the keg leftover, I will fill one of my 16oz swingtops and bring it. I got a 1/6th barrel of the Weasel Boy Scottish Ale.
  31. Spider889

So you're NOT giving away 1gal growlers of BB Anastasia as favors then?
  32. MaxSpang

Word.

Consider it yours, Travis!
  33. Keffa

Unfortunately, no. Sucks having to pay for everything ourselves.

That said, I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to get some people to show up for the Anastasia release. Jay brewed this years batch a couple weeks ago. I need to ask him how many barrels he has for this year, because if he's got more than 5, that'll probably mean he's doing the 1 gallon growlers again.
    tat2dhllblly likes this.
  34. TomTwanks

Definitely got off. Looking forward to this guys.
  35. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

I've wanted a can of that forever!
  36. Spider889

Ok we need to lay out an official start time for this. I want to say that since enough people are requesting a later time let's meet at 3:30 unless there are any serious objections. This way anyone showing up as late as 5ish will still be able to be in the thick of things.
  37. MaxSpang

3:30 works for me!
  38. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 30, 2007

Anybody double check with Jaimie on what time works best for her and her store? Guessing later in the day she'll might be busier since its a Saturday.
  39. fiveo2270

fiveo2270 Aficionado (115) Ohio Oct 29, 2007

I was going to invite a friend of mine to come with, but I don't know what time to tell him. So are we going with 3:30 for sure?
  40. tat2dhllblly

The wife and I are gonna have to back out. Had a family obligation pop up. Next time.