1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Texas Beer Festival Cancelled

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kmello69, Apr 4, 2012.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Funny that I live in Austin and hadn't even heard of this one, but apparently after the fiasco that was the Austin Beer Fest last week, they decided to not even mess with the pissed off Austin craft beer community right now. Here is the official declaration:

I have taken the decision to cancel the festival that was scheduled for April 21st. This decision was prompted by 2 factors:

·A number of sponsors who had agreed to support the event did not provide funding in time for me to produce what I felt would have been a quality event. I would rather cancel than produce something substandard.

·The disastrous Austin Beer Festival that was held last Sat at the Travis County Expo Grounds. The complete fiasco – well documented online – has contaminated the market for beer festivals – especially ones run by private companies.

I want to thank you for your interest in the event and will let you know if I decide to re-schedule.
    Regards
    Steve Farrer

2. Ahaley

Ahaley Aficionado (120) Texas Dec 24, 2009

There has also been some discussion about whether they were really being supported by the Texas Craft Brewer's Guild. They claimed they were, several people inside the TCBG called them out on it and it disappeared from their website late yesterday and they cancelled today. With the increasing interest in craft beer in the area I think we're learning a good lesson about solely for profit beer events.

3. BAbaracus

BAbaracus Aficionado (240) Texas Feb 10, 2006

Yeah, without being in a position to peek behind the wizard's curtain it's hard to ascertain whether this was a sound business decision or if the promoters were going into it with bad intentions to begin with, and they just didn't like their chances of being able to come out of it profitably without incurring lynch mob levels of heat and animosity.

I'm not sure I agree that a couple of bad festivals have poisoned the well for the entire market. I think the promoters are just going to have to work a little harder to justify their credentials in the future.

4. SSW117

SSW117 Aficionado (165) Texas Jan 21, 2009

Well the Flying Saucer is throwin our 5th annual Fall Beer Festival in Austin this September 29th. Ours never disappoints. Ask around

DonD likes this.