1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

And for the people that got their late, don't come if you don't wanna get shut out and bitch about it, my friend was the first to be denied when it sold out. He didn't care though he had a good time and I gave him a bottle anyways as well as some other friends. Honestly I only waited about 50 minutes outside, it wasn't bad at all.
    mobius387 and robbiemoy13 like this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Some really harsh comments being throw out on both sides of the argument today.
    I was one of those people that waited in line for "2-3" hours. I have no control over what other people deem worthy or not. A brewery that I really like, and have supported for years, released a beer that I wanted, so I drove 5 hours one way, and I wasn't about to show up at 2:45 and miss out.
    The dude working the door was nice enough to let me use the bathroom inside, I was invited in by numerous "VIP's", and had others offer to buy me 2 bottles from the "VIP" session...I not only did not buy two bottles while inside using the bathroom, I didn't get any free "VIP" pours, and I certainly did not lobby anyone to buy me two bottles early.
    Upon entering the event, we got our bottle within 30 minutes. So all in all, I probably spent about 1 hour less in line that the last person to get 15, so what does it matter if I'm waiting outside or inside?

The party was awesome. It was a bit crammed inside, but after people got their bottles, it thinned out a bit, and wasn't all that bad. Again, just had to find from some room and stay out of the way. There was plenty of room behind the bottling line/bottle share area/etc etc.
    The staff handled themselves great. They were doing their best with a hugely packed/successful party. I think if they would have split some of the specialty tappings up among the three tap stations, it could have spread some of those lines out.
    I met a whole bunch of very friendly, caring, and generous BA's and CW regulars. Everyone was very nice, the overall mood of the party was very jovial, and everyone was pretty chill.

If I'm one of those people that ruined the party for the regulars, or people that think they are more deserving of some elbow room in CW than I am, I apologize. Alot of people came for the bottle release, alot of people came for the party, and alot of people came for both. If you think that one group made it terrible for any other group, you should probably contract your "hometown" brewery, and let them know that you think maybe they should do the bottle sale a different day, and save the anniversary party for only the worthy.

Cheers to those that shared bottles with us, enjoyed themselves, and added to the great atmosphere.
    Lansman, atone315, hailster and 2 others like this.
  3. Sender

Sender Initiate (0) Minnesota Sep 19, 2010

My favorite part was the two guys wearing the exact same orange sweater bumping into eachother and realizing they were wearing the same thing
    eyemustard and iadler like this.
  4. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

This. Pretty funny moment in the night...
  5. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

That was a funny moment. Thought the event was great. 15 was great and exodus is so damn tasty. The food was awesome!
  6. nflmvp

nflmvp Savant (315) Wisconsin Sep 8, 2003

Wow.

Imagine that the guys running a SMALL brewery, allow a bunch of beer geeks to come to their party, and bring their own beer, only to have these same people bitch about the event.

Just, wow.

Paul, Anello, Kevin and the rest of the crew have ALWAYS been gracious and generous hosts. They've gone out of their way to take care of us. For the past 5 years, they've even given us our own space. Of course, when this all started, we were a small group who genuinely appreciated what they did for us and we did our best to make sure we didn't wear out our welcome. It looks like those days are over.

Reading this thread makes me ashamed to be associated with this group.
  7. epicac2

epicac2 Disciple (50) Illinois Apr 2, 2012

Shoutout to the person who opened my backpack and stole a bottle of 15 and 3 zombie dusts(15 sold out about 20 people in front of me. I was lucky enough to buy 2 bottles from a local at cost). Thanks for leaving me 1, buddy.

Aside from that, I had a great time. Awesome event. Id go again but show up a couple hours early.

Thanks to everyone who brought delicious beers for the bottle share
  8. As I read all this love for the event I keep wondering if it's the same event I was at. I spent over 2 hrs waiting in line to get my 15 then an hour in line to get 1414 which ran out before I got some then had to stand for another hour to get some 15 on tap. 4 hrs of standing for 1 cup of beer and 4 bottles of 15. Then there were people cutting in line at the tap release times for 1414 and 15. I'm grateful to have been able to get some 15 but this was anything but a "great event". It was poorly run and poorly executed on so many levels I don't even know where to begin. I'm guessing the people saying "let's cut Central Waters some slack" were the ones who either snuck into the VIP or were a guest of the VIP and got to drink all the 15 they wanted. For the rest of us it was a battle to get anything at this event.
  9. I was the guy right in front of you with my buddy. I was absolutely livid. On a brighter note, got to try the Brewhouse coffee stout which was absolutely fabulous.
  10. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

BA's seem to have this problem looking at the grand scope of an event. They are the center of the universe. If the event was good for them, it was good for everyone else too. They can't comprehend others having a different experience.
    Bay01 and denimdemon like this.
  11. No not truth about being there before doors opened. Lets set this straight, I got in line at 2:35 and the last bottles were sold 2 people before me. Im just saying, and I think those who took advantage should be ashamed.
  12. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

I had a great time and met some very cool BAs, again. I was able to try some outstanding beers at the bottle share including:

Ichigo Highway, Swinging Harry's, De Dolle Stille Nacht (thanks moe, bryan)
    BA Fayston's (and many others, as always, thanks fitz)
    The Wanderer (thanks jefeld, you are awesome)
    RareR D.O.S. (thanks again)
    BCBCS (thanks mike/mjmadsen21)
    Mexican Chocolate Stout + (thanks John)
    So many others I'm forgetting... Sexual Chocolate, Arthur, Marron Acidifie and ISO FT, of course 1414/15.

I tried Brewhouse Coffee Stout for the first time which I enjoyed a lot. The food was outstanding.

I think people hit on all points good/bad with this party so I won't beat that horse into the ground. I think the vast majority of BAs are great people and have the best intentions. Even the people who ended up with more than a couple Fifteens mean to share them with other BAs, perhaps some of who were not able to make it to the party (as controversial as that idea is).

I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase 4 bottles. The fact that so many of you (both those I know and those I don't know) got shut out really put a damper on the party for me. There was no hint of "haha I got some and you didn't" sentiment out of me or anyone I came in contact with. It sucks that they ran out.

Anyway, another beer release experience for me to learn from I guess. I'm headed back outside to see if the next shuttle bus is here.
  13. hailster

hailster Aficionado (145) Wisconsin May 28, 2006

That's what I was drinking while waiting in line, excellent brew!

I was mad yesterday about waiting so long only not to get the bottles but when I found out that a lot of the VIPs were abusing the system then it makes me even angrier over it.

I'm sure CW will learn from this year and make next year better.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  14. boomer31

boomer31 Savant (250) Minnesota Apr 14, 2009

Thought this was a great event with an outstanding taplist! Thank you CW for a great time. My ONLY complaint is promising a 1-1 'buyback' of infected PM for 15. Great on paper...not so great in practice.
  15. this was my first brewery only release party ever. seeing as i have just moved from Houston to Chicago within the last 6 months, breweries aren't allowed to sell from the brewery in TX. i learned the hard way to request the day off and head early. i worked from 5-12 in chicago and left right after work. was in line by 330, and shut out with only 10-15 people ahead of me. i was able to enjoy a brewhouse coffee stout while in line though.

the only reason i am disappointed is because i had to drive back to chicago that night to get to work at 5am the next day. therefore i couldn't enjoy any of the beers being offered. 1) because i was driving. 2) because i couldn't stay late due to needing to be home at a reasonable time to be in bed for work the next day.

whatevs. now i know for next time. :)

16. really really really do not understand why they wouldn't just offer infected PM for new PM.

that just boggles my mind.
  17. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (265) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

This was my first CW anniversary party and it won't be my last. The entire weekend was a great experience. Hit the brewery Friday night for an hour, both PM and BBBW were on tap and with only approximately 15 people there, we sat right at the bar. Big thanks to the generous BAs sharing bottles at La Quinta Friday night. We purchased our PM, BBBW and Cherry Saturday morning at the Bottle Stop - 5% discount per case and the owner was a good guy. Had a great time at O'so (Wee on the Lam is fantastic) before heading back to the hotel and jumping on the bus to CW.

As for the party, I went into it with the expectation it was going to be extremely packed, which is why I wasn't surprised or frustrated. With any large gathering, you're going to have some annoying people, but the majority of individuals of are a lot of fun. Even though I waited in line for 15 on tap for nearly 50 minutes without moving much more than 30 feet, I ended up getting a glass and met some great BAs. PM and Brewhouse Coffee Stout were the highlights for me. So good! The food was impressive, especially the pulled pork sandwich with slaw. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't try the risotto balls. They looked and smelled amazing!

Paul and the entire CW staff were great hosts. Thank you! How many other breweries would let their customers take over their entire facility for an evening? Looking forward to next year.

Andy, Kyle, Tim and Todd - I'm lucky to have such great friends!
    mobius387 and beerwolf77 like this.
  18. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

That was one of a few options that they gave me in their email.

"1 - A coupon for next years Peruvian Morning, redeemable at a store in
    your area chosen by us.
    2 - CWBC Merchandise
    3 - A gift certificate to the brewery tap room
    4 - next years 15 anniversary party beer, but you must present at the
    party here on January 26, 2013"

CW allowed people to have someone else pick up fifteen if the person with the credit was not able to make it to the party; an email giving them the name of the person picking up the beer was required for that, though.
  19. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I don't know man, we were there at like 2:20-30 as well, and they still had like 10+ cases after we bought ours. The line didn't get really long until about 2:40, who knows? :confused:
  20. evilc

It's amazing how badly people in this area fight when they are surrounded by tons of other insane stouts. I hate California as well as San Diego which I am a native of but I just don't experience these problems here. There are a few standouts like the '09 BASS release but that is an exception.
  21. options 1-3 are great.

option 4 is insane.
  22. Wondering about the normal availability of the Brewhouse coffee stout. I absolutely loved it and dont remember seeing any this past fall. Is it a real hard to get item? Also, is the Brewhouse the base for the Peruvian Morning?
    ChicagoBeersFan likes this.
  23. You have a beard and drive a Subaru with MI plates huh? I was pulling in right behind you (white Dodge).
  24. MarcatGSB

That was a long post that was deleted quickly...
  25. MarcatGSB

Yes sir...I was just getting done having breakfast and wanted to check out the scene. Cheers!
    WITTBEER likes this.
  26. jawzman

Care to elaborate? Please cite the other instances of fighting...
  27. evilc

Please don't be literal. The word "fight" has more meaning than fist fighting.
  28. I am exhausted from an incredibly hard week. Today was probably the worst as I had to scrub the shitters and take out all your trash to make sure we could hit the ground almost operational Monday morning. Believe me, after we are operational tough, I will take time to review all of your opinions, and give response. The man's long response who deleted it quickly was sent directly to me - I will re-post his opinions, and respond to them as well. Thank you to all of you that came and attended. Thank you more, to the most of you, that are kind, respectful, and most of all, understanding. Every year we learn how to throw a better event - some years our knowledge exceeds what we learn, and some years, what we learn exceeds our knowledge, but if think we are a bunch of arrogant fucks just sitting static, nickel & dining our customers, then I don't even want to hear it . Thanks again.

Paul
  29. jawzman

Not being literal. Still not sure what you mean. I was at DLD, Darkness, Bolt Cutter, and this release... Saw no fighting, of any ilk.
  30. - Thanks to the random VIP who walked out and handed our group a full pour of Fifteen before the event started. Right on.
    I wouldnt call myself random, I just wanted to share with the guys who I knew would appreciate a taste of what they were waiting outside for. Plus you were with Robbie Moy, who I know I will drink with more in the near future. So cheers to you guys, some VIP's look at it as entitlement, I looked at it as an opportunity to share the wealth. Now I just need a brillow pad to scrub the memory of Robbie pouring the 1515 into JEG's mouth like a baby bird because he was sick and didnt want any one to drink out of the same glass as he did.
  31. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Hey! I randomly gave a group a pour of 15 too! Nice. I gave whoever was firstish in line my cup as I was re-entering the event.
    Rizdac likes this.
  32. [​IMG]

That was indeed a sight! Was it you or some of the other guys in line with us that proceeded to stick their fingers to the ground and taste the Fifteen? I'm guessing heavy notes of bourbon and roasted malts, with subtle salt and dirty water aftertaste?

Was a great event, glad I got to meet some great BAs!

Brian23456 thanks for the great trade, I'm really looking forward to sharing your different homebrewed meads with my friends. Also, thanks to everyone for sharing some great bottles at the bottle share. Despite some of the craziness and typical competitive beer hunting to be observed, it was nice to still be able to take a step back and just enjoy drinking good beer with good people. I'll be back next year!
  33. Also, I have to say that one of my highlights was just narrowly missing getting thrown up on as I entered CW to wait in line for my allocation of Fifteen. Would have drastically changed my enjoyment of the party.

The VIP that threw up all over the entrance to CW as nasty vomit juice was dripping down his forearm...learn how to drink high-ABV, BB beers man! Seriously, sh*t is gross!
  34. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Literally was just inside the door when I saw him running for the outside as vomit seeped through his hand that was covering his mouth. It was 3pm!! Wtf!
    jakethesnake9z9z likes this.
  35. I was just going to invite you in to help out showing up that early! You pulled out of the parking lot before I had a chance!
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  36. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

Ha! That was my buddy, it was right after the bottle broke and he just touched the beer and took a little taste. He needed something to cleanse his pallet after drinking one of my infected PM's. I must have just missed the puker, and I'm glad he missed you guys. At 3pm?? Nice.
    Enjoy the meads! Not everbody gets them, but hey, thats a lot of free booze!
    jakethesnake9z9z likes this.
  37. Don't go next year. That will show them!
    Bay01 and maximum12 like this.
  38. You, sir are truly an awesome guy. Definitely shared the wealth plus some. Looking forward to hanging out at DLD!
    jegross2 likes this.
  39. You got this pegged brian! The Central Waters brewers are very humble down to earth people. Especially Paul. You are just never going to be fully ready for everything that gets thrown at you. Especially when your brewery is in a small like town like Amhurst, WI. CW will have better organization next year, but it really wasnt that badly organized event like so many people are complaining about in this thread. by the way go to see you at the event yesterday!
    bpfrush likes this.
  40. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

TLDR, but looks like the same kind of complaining about the rent in wicker park that also used to be cheaper. Gum was a nickel when my dad was a kid too. Get over it. It is what it is. Isn't of whining, either pick a new hobby or adjust.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.