1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

we're all entited to opinions. unfortunately too many of them are bashing CW. the problem is right here amongst the "fans". all of them? not hardly. many of them? yes.

these things tend to turn in to runaway trains of blame the brewery/the beer sucks/i won't go there ever again. this one was/is turning in to that.

i don't go there expecting anything more than a few taps, good time with friends and to hang out at a place i enjoy. successful day by that measurement. i heard a great suggestion from someone in the know while at CW.. maybe the 16th will be in tents outside.. spread the crowd out more.. have a clearer separation for the hardcore from the mainstream.

i welcome that possibility

cheers
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Look on the bright side guys, every time an event has issues, it causes subsequent ones to improve. Every time a limited beer sells out and people miss out, breweries make more the next year.
    ppohio and hailster like this.
  3. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

BUT THIS DOESN'T HELP US NOW!

There are a lot of old people around.
  4. I've kept up with this thread pretty well and I don't think there were many people bashing CW. I think a lot of people these days don't know how to take criticism and they project that inability onto things they like. Most of the so called "bashing" of CW seems to be constructive criticism and advice for the event going forward... Or maybe I'm blind.
    Dactrius, nharres and pk18 like this.
  5. I hope I can say this without anyone jumping down my throat, but I did not enjoy this event. The atmosphere was harsh and unwelcoming, and it was hard to even get a beer at the main bar. The brewhouse coffee stout was good but so cold! I picked up some peruvian morning and bb barleywine, but those are shelf beers for me, anyway. Here's to next year! Cheers.
  6. The highlight for me was seeing someone walking around with a box that had the infamous pink bomber sticking out. For comedy's sake I hope he traded a 15 for that.
  7. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

If nothing else this thread has given me a great new euphemism.
  8. Dude you're a grown man, stop acting like you're 5 years old.

I don't object when it comes to the 1414. That was last years anniversary beer and the party wasn't centered around that. 15 on the other hand is this years anniversary beer. Have you been to any other release where you had to fight harder to get that beer on tap than you did to get a bottle of it? Not to mention all the line cutters and people buying glasses for friends who weren't standing in line. And just a crazy thought, maybe someone was enjoying the party so much they weren't checking their watch every 5 minutes and then checking the tap line. Or even still maybe they didn't want to be "that guy" plugging up the line waiting for 15 30min early preventing people from going up there and getting something like Exodus or BBBW. And why would anyone assume they had to line up early for it? To my knowledge, CW never said they had a very limited amount on tap. I wasn't even upset I didn't get any on tap, it just boggles my mind that 15 wasn't more easily accessible on tap.
    FanClub and nharres like this.
  9. I had fun, thank you to all off the people (brewer, brewery, brewery staff, volunteers, the brewery staff member who grabbed the guy who was hands on almost passed out/swaying by the 3 compartment sink and understand when I said 'uuuhhhh, I don't think he needs another one", to the BA's that I met, to the BA's that I know and saw and drank with, to the couple who looked at me like I was a space alien when I was walking around with a growler of Iron Hill R.I.S. and asked if they would like some and not say thank you after I poured into both of their empty glasses, to the "truck driving guys from Jersey" (or so that's the name I am giving them) who made me laugh for almost 45 minutes, to the representative from the Tilted Kilt who I will remember for a long time, to all of you...... I say thank you, I had a fucking great time and would do it again in a heart beat.
  10. Kudos to you man, that is the longest sentence I have ever seen.
    BrownAleMale, pmoney and stayclean like this.
  11. I could of talked about the Tilted Kilt woman some more, but left it at that. She was very pleasant.
  12. CityofBals

They posted the list of the specialty tappings next to the specialty tap nook. They even said something to the effect of "15 taps at 6pm, we will replace it with y2k 2011 BA BW after it kicks. (so it will go on at 6:05pm!)" I think the line forming for 1414 was also probably a hint THAT IT WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN FOR 15.

I don't know what that makes other people think, but to me, it seemed like they were hinting at it maybe RUNNING THE FU*K OUT REALLY FAST. Also, why do you expect a small brewery to have anything other than a limited amount of a two year old beer?
    jegross2 likes this.
  13. Yes. Dark Lord Day. And that's not even counting waiting in line for 6 hours to get into the pub to try the BA stuff that ends up cashing 3 hours before you get there and no one advertises it...
    jegross2 likes this.
  14. I just got here...is someone whining about not getting bottles?
    stxSS07 likes this.
  15. Didn't see that, All I saw was the chalk board that said "6pm: 15." Going into the party, I would assume they would be tapping more 15 than 1414. Why would I not? Obviously my assumptions were wrong. I also wasn't around the taps when they put 1414 up.

Not sure bold caps are necessary. My eyes aren't that bad.
    CityofBals likes this.
  16. If you're fighting for DL on DLD then you're doing something wrong. BA DL is another story but then again it isn't called BA DLD.
  17. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Excellent response from them, reassuring to see they can handle constructive criticism better than people that don't work there. :p Hope I can find some friends that want to make the drive next year, as a bar had the base beer for, uh, "16" on tap last year during Milwaukee Beer Week, and it was excellent.
  18. sacrelicio

what was it?
  19. stayclean

It was an imperial stout, though the keg was primed with molasses. Have NO idea what they are doing it with, I guess another BBA beer? Either way, sign me up.
  20. sacrelicio

What are everyone's highlights from the sample table?

I had:

Black Tuesday (finally!)
    Fat Head's Headhunter
    Cigar City Tocobaga
    Bruery Marron Acidifie
    Hill Farmstead Anna
    Russian River Blind Pig
    Lakefront Black Friday
    TREAT
    Sexual Chocolate

I brought:
    BB Black Cauldron
    Brau Brothers Rye Wyne
    L'Amitie (Green Flash/Feullien collabo)
  21. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Did she look like a tilted kilt girl? Lol
  22. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Is that what they had in the firkin tent at GTOM? They had some molasses primed stout there
  23. stayclean

I didn't go last year, but I would lean towards yes if it was molasses primed. Maybe someone from CW can chime in on that one.
  24. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

so far i have a list of 50 things i remember trying. Best I think was the Decadence I had, amazing. Also MoaS and Eclipse Grand Cru.
  25. we were at the same table, I was the guy in the Damnation long sleeve, the last two I brought.
    crossovert likes this.
  26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Boom, absolutely amazing out of the bottle. Freaking amazing. Cheers everyone, it was a good one.
    [​IMG]
  27. egrace84

egrace84 Advocate (725) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

I just want to send out a quick thank you to Paul and crew at CW for EVERYTHING. I know my beer group and I all had a great time and enjoyed all of the tasty beer as well as the atmosphere at the event. I personally loved the Brewhouse Coffee Stout on tap! (still craving it actually) I'm actually drinking this years PM as I'm typing this and cant speak highly enough of this brew also. I am so thankful I was able to make the trip this year with the crew and be a part of this awesome event. Also want to thank Paul for the trade and it was a pleasure meeting him... definately a genuine, stand up guy. Cheers, and thanks again CW for all that you did for all of us!
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  28. sacrelicio

Oh yeah, I had the MOAS. Also, Founders Bolt Cutter and Furniture City.
  29. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (535) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Yes, it was an imperial stout with brown sugar and molasses that they had in the real ale tent. I wasn't blown away, but it was very solid and I'm sure the barrel will do wonders.
    jegross2 likes this.
  30. Can't we all just agree that CW makes the best dang Bourbon Barrel aged beers for the price in the world!
  31. boomer31

boomer31 Savant (250) Minnesota Apr 14, 2009

A classy response from an awesome host.
    WITTBEER likes this.
  32. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Did you try it with the Jif peanut butter behind the bottle? I heard that's the best way to drink it....
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  33. CityofBals

Oblig WALES AREN'T FOR DRINKING BRO!
    jegross2 and WITTBEER like this.
  34. This event was amazing. I had a great time, the weather outside was Sunny with almost no wind. All the staff were friendly, and of course the beer was world class. The risotto balls were the best thing I ate all weekend.

Hopefully I can make it next year.
  35. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Savant (490) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Didn't even see a sample table....d'oh! I've had Head Hunter and love it, getting a bottle or two of Blind Pig sometime this week
  36. MaltyLareau

MaltyLareau Zealot (80) Wisconsin Nov 14, 2009

Lol, no such luck! That was me-the bottle was to share, and it was a Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter Ale :)
  37. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (295) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Amen!
  38. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (140) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

I think it was an awesome party despite missing out on 15 bottles. One of the bad things is everyone who was on the shuttles got shut out on bottles, so less people will probably be using the shuttle next year. Still a great party and Paul said they will be addressing the issues to make next year even better! Thanks for the party Paul and everyone at CW!
  39. I didn't go, but I did make the comment about taking note of how darkness day works. I think the thing that makes darkness day work as well as it does is the wrist bands. I think they are better than tickets, and great for keeping people from being able to cheat their way to loads of extra bottles.
  40. I work at an account that handles a lot of CW so we got the VIP e-mail. When we went to enter we didn't have to provide any ID or say who we are, indeed a nice relaxed atmosphere but very suprising.

I attended from noon until the 3:00, got my four bottles and left so I didn't see any of these problems. I was told by many people that this event has snowballed big time and will just keep getting better as CW is recognized as a great brewery.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.