1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

...and they expanded their barrel house last year if i recall correctly, so im sure that has a little impact on these ba beers. Oh and (in response to whoever said only 15 had a limit) they said the bbcs would have a case limit too

2. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

Much thanks is in order to Central Waters for making everything well known about the event, and especially for the free shuttles. Can't wait until Saturday! I hope everyone has a great time.

misterid, maximum12 and TonyTalon like this.
  3. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

A bit sad about the four bottle limit, because there are a ton of people who I'd love to share this with.

But having gone for years just for the beer & the blast, I'd be just as happy if there was a keg-only "16" next year.

Duff27 likes this.
  4. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Darn, I guess a 4 bottle limit means no one going from Milwaukee would want to hook it up with a bottle, right? :( Just started school and already have a mountain of homework to do over the weekend, ah well.

5. Thought I should weigh in on this one. Another company wanting to nickel and dime its customers kind of pisses me off. No ticket charge, free shuttle to and from hotels, who else does this for you??? Why do a bottle release this day? This is the one time a year we have the largest amount of our fans in one place and believe me, we are rural Wisconsin. We're a production brewery - 97% of our product is sold to distributors who sell the beer to retailers who sell the beer to you. This is a network that makes the beer world go round. When we do small, specialty batches like this, we don't have enough to distribute it (believe me - the distributors and retailers will be here by the bus load to purchase Fifteen as well). To support the retailers who carry our product - we charge a little more - not to nickel and dime you - but to make sure that those small businesses supporting our small business don't get upset thinking that we are undercutting their prices to steal away their business. Many of you have met us at this party and get an understanding of who we are and what we are about, those who haven't, come on down. What is the focus of this party? A good time for me, my employees, and everyone that attends.

Draft list will be published hopefully tomorrow. See you all on Saturday.

Paul Graham
    President
    Central Waters Brewing Company

6. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

4 bottle limit...psh...I'm more concerned about 1616 that will be aged for 38 months in the same oak barrels. Will probably be 1 bottle per two people and they will have to fight to the death to claim the bottle.

7. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

It's a matter of convincing others to go. If it's four bottles and just me driving alone versus with a group of friends -- in particular, it just means that all the past trade partners I planned to get bottles for wont be helped out this time. They can set their limits however they want, im not complaining about that

8. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

You anything BUT nickel and dime customers. You have excellent pricing and a high quality barrel program with AWESOME customer service and quick response times. Anyone who complains a high quality BA 4 pack at $14 is "overpriced" is nuts.

ILOVESTOUTS, gpawned, TheoV and 5 others like this.
  9. The only reason we set the bottle limits as they are is to hope that everyone who shows up and wants to purchase some, can.

10. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

I'm still in shock that 1414 was only 10 dollars. My god, talk about deal of the craft beer century...

gpawned and ImperialSnout like this.
  11. And the vast majority of people who show up to your event really appreciate that. I don't like that these release events are turning into Black Fridays. No doubt there will be people camped out overnight, but it doesn't have to be like that. 4 bottle limit is perfectly reasonable.

tourdot and jegross2 like this.
  12. tourdot

tourdot Savant (425) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

You guys do an awesome job and I think any true BA can appreciate that bottle limit so that everyone can enjoy some 15. Any complainants should can it or stay home. The rest of us are going to have a great time. Thank you CW for hosting!

ImperialSnout likes this.
  13. Cheers to you Paul and everyone at Central Waters. Rest assured 99.9% of all of us there will be there to support you and your wonderful brewery. Pay no mind to those that have nothing better to do than hide behind a computer monitor to belittle others. Take comfort in knowing that this person does this at every beer release.
    Looking forward to sharing some awesome beer with you and your coworkers regardless of the bottle limits. Most of us are true beer advocates.

Cheers!

TATURBO, Mscarpen, atone315 and 4 others like this.
  14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things.

Also, the next time one of the Bros call me a troll, I will reference them to your post history for the proper definition.

15. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (415) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

I think its very cool of you to set the limit in hope everyone that shows up can buy some.

The only way to guarantee something is to sell tickets to the event. Places that do that have been my favorite so far. Three Floyds, Great Lakes, Stone, a handful of other local places here in Cleveland started to sell tickets to their events as well. That way you are imposing some sort of crowd control as well if that becomes an issue. Among other things.

Just something to consider for future releases.

16. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (475) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

As the idiot who made the comment about "not being thrilled" about PM & BBBW being less at Woodman's I'd like to apologize for the comment, I worded it stupidly and some people took it wrong. I like most people want to get the best deal whenever possible, and simply wasn't thrilled about having to decide whether to buy it as cheaply as possible or to buy from the source I'd rather buy from and support, CW direct. All in all Woodman's West is pretty much the cheapest place you can buy beer, so it's not really fair to complain if someone else isn't as cheap as them. I prefer to buy from Steve's over Woodman's but they're usually a few bucks more, I'm equally not thrilled with that decision. It can be hard to decide between your wallet and your conscience but that's my fault, not CW's.

From what I've seen pretty much every brewery charges a buck or two more when you buy at the brewery compared to the cheapest store. I fully understand and appreciate the practice.

Central Waters brews awesome beers at incredible prices and are arguably the best deal in BB beers around (I forget what I paid for that BB Mort but it was beyond a steal). Everyone I've met from CW has been great and I've got nothing but love for CW and the way they're running the event. I'm thrilled with the bottle limit and I'll still show up even if it sells out before I get there. I love bottle shares but this is one where I'm not sure I'll even participate because it'll probably be hard to pull me away from CWs awesome beers on tap. You know what's better than buying bottles of PM? Drinking it on tap straight from the teat :)

17. The release hasn't happened yet an people are already complaining about it. Typical BA. CW has been upfront about everything and it sounds like a great time. Even at $14 (what like a $1 or 2 increase from last year), I challenge anyone to find a better barleywine than BBBW or BA stout than PM for that price/oz. No company providing luxury items needs to justify their prices to anyone.

OneBeertoRTA, misterid and jegross2 like this.
  18. It's funny that the people who complain are still some of the ones that show up and buy the beer. Maybe they are just trying to convince people it's not worth the trip...who knows. The fact is that CW makes great beer and people are going to buy it this weekend for the price they are selling it or at their local beer store for whatever they want to charge. Plus you can't get 15 anywhere else than at the brewery on Saturday. If you don't like their terms just stay home. No need to complain about it. CW, or any other brewery for that matter, doesn't owe you anything.

19. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

If everyone doesn't already know by now, almost any beer release/party you go to is going to be packed. It's been like this for the last year at least and there's nothing you can do about it. Live with it! Craft beer is a growing industry. I know going into these releases that I may or may not get the beer I want to pick up, but I have plenty of fun sharing bottles and enjoying the actual party part of these events. Complaining is gonna do nothing other than make great breweries like these reconsider hosting these kinds of events in the future. If you don't get your beer, you can usually find a kind BA or two that will sell you or trade for what you want.

This thread is about the party, not pouting. That being said, I can't wait to hang with you guys this weekend.

Cheers!!

20. These people and this company are stand up good people. Those of you who are going to hoard and trade etc, please, get a new hobby. They set limits to make sure EVERYONE has an opportunity to enjoy their hard work and product. I really hope Paul and Co. puts a stop to any jackwagon going through the line multiple times to meet demand for their trade buddies. Typical BA, word gets out and it's ruined for everyone. I'll be there enjoying great beer with great people, and I'm just fine with any limits they impose, it's not about the physical product you take home at the end of the day, but the experience you have. Cheers folks!

misterid likes this.
  21. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

Oooohh can't wait for the taplist! The one from last year had BB IPA on it but I never saw it and was pretty bummed out, never found out what happened with that. Seperate beer sales tent is a great idea, the last couple years the entrance had become a traffic jam with people coming and going, maybe there will be a way to make getting tap beers easier too? Wondering if the other BB beers spent extra time in the barrel, this years BBS was easily my favorite so far. And has anyone suggested putting Y2K in the old 1414 or 15th barrels? Sounds like a dream come true.
    2 more days until my favorite beer event! See you guys there.

gpawned likes this.
  22. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

it has more to do with not wanting to undercut the retailers than that, i'd say

eta: or what Paul said about a half dozen posts after i read your comment :(

23. misterid

pretty freaking jazzed about this event. anyone else making a day of it and popping in to O'so for a couple pints beforehand? they're also very cool people with a nice setup, great prices and great beers on tap.

BrownAleMale and Penguin3200 like this.
  24. mykey120

If anyone is around kenosha, the woodmans has a bottle of cuvee saint gilloise , 18.99

25. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Didnt bells just release black note in 4 packs and bombers for 23 a piece? For spending over two years in a barrel taking up soace that could be used for future projects, 15 dollars is damn acceptable. Didnt goose island charge something like 50-60 dollars per bottle of rare? And 20 for their four packs? How is 14 dollars for a four pack of barrel aged beer and 15 for a 26 month old bomber nickl amd dimeing??? Oh and dont forget about cbs amd kbs at 20 a piece... having said that... lets not even get started on fff.

Cheers paul, and thanks a lot brother

26. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

CW just posted the tap list on Facebook. Thought I'd share the info with everyone else!

Here comes the draft list! Pretty impressive!

3 bars this year, the front bar will be flagship and seasonal only, we will have a side bar that is only high end beer, and a bar by the bands with a few flagships.

Front Bar:
    Honey Blonde
    Shine On
    Ouisconsing Red
    Happy Heron Pale Ale
    Glacial Trail IPA
    Mudpuppy Porter
    Nitropuppy
    Satin Solstice Imperial Stout
    Brewhouse Coffee Stout
    Slainte Scotch Ale

High End Tappings!
    On All night:
    Bourbon Barrel Slainte Scotch Ale
    Rye Bourbon Stout
    Y2K Barleywine 2012
    Peruvian Morning (yes all night)
    Bourbon Stout
    Bourbon Barrel Barleywine 2012
    Bourbon Cherry Stout (yes all night)
    Exodus! (yes all night)
    Timed Releases:
    3 PM - 2011 Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
    5 PM - 1414
    6 PM - 15
    7 PM (or when 15 kicks, so probably 6:05!) - 2011 Y2K Barleywine
    Then switching between the 2011 Y2K and Bourbon Barrel Barleywine the rest of the night.

Please note that Bourbon Cherry Stout, Exodus, 1414 and 15 will be $5 per 8 oz pour, the rest are $4.

Enjoy!

TATURBO, Mscarpen, Ssstraub and 6 others like this.
  27. yepbye2

yepbye2 Aficionado (175) Illinois Feb 23, 2011

What a list. Well done guys.

28. mpwdoyle

I'm going to die.

pschul4 and crotchkick like this.
  29. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Excited for Brewhouse Coffee Stout. Haven't seen that in stores for seemingly two years. Exodus too! That one went way too fast last party.

TATURBO and BrownAleMale like this.
  30. mpwdoyle

Picture of 15 bottled was just put up on CW's facebook page.

31. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

:mad:

Also wow, that taplist... ugh.

32. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Holy. Mother. Of. God.

F- the tasting room. I'll go in, drop off a couple beers, & head straight back out to plant myself at the bar all night.

The rye bourbon stout alone would have made this worth the drive!!!!

DoctorRock and Duff27 like this.
  33. misterid

between this, the regular coffee stout, barleywine and Peruvian Morning.. it's gonna be a long night

34. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Dont listen to this fucking chucklehead. You guys, along with Lagunitas, have some of the most reasonably priced beers on the market. It's not just affordable either, it's damn good. For every PlayaPlaya, there are 100's of us out here that enjoy your product. Keep up the good work. Happy anniversary!

Gonzoillini and atone315 like this.
  35. Tnudish

Oh and, RYE BOURBON STOUT?!?! Sign me up for that!

maximum12 and mpwdoyle like this.
  36. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Not anymore they don't :). They're also down to their last case of Sprecher Hard Root Beer

37. mykey120

Glad it went to a BA!! I couldnt believe it when I walked in and saw Cantillon, I finally got my first 'loon!

38. Tnudish

Fuck, I really want that Hard Root Beer

39. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

I'll be swinging by O'so to pick up some bottles and check the place out, I'll try not to drink anything if I can help it though. It will be a little to early for me to be drinking, plus I need to save myself for the CW!
    That taplist=me wayyyy to drunk

BrownAleMale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.