1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters 15th Anniversary Party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Tnudish, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

RIP Greg, thanks for keeping the spirit alive.
    teamwiggum and atone315 like this.
  2. Oshy

Oshy Aspirant (45) Wisconsin Oct 9, 2012

Sorry to hear that. what time did you get there? I got there at 1:30 and got my 15 at 4:00. They said there was 32 cases left at that point.

Any one know if they sold out of their other offerings like PM or BBBW? I saw lots of cases going out the door.
  3. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

LOCALS GOT SHUT OUT.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  4. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Seems like the VIPs did well tho
  5. jegross2

Let's start the debate. Is it ok for locals to shut our everyone else? If someone "from Chicago" gets "60" bottles OMG LOCALS GOT SHUT OUT, but when locals get multiple allotments each it's ok?

I frankly don't care either way.
  6. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

I was lucky enough to be able to buy 4 bottles of 15. I was in line by 2:30 and got to the end of the line at 4:30. After talking to a number of people, it seems like many of the VIP members were able to buy many more than the 6 they should have been able to purchase (2 during the VIP session & 4 after 3).
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (730) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

I'm just an interested bystander. Reading this thread it just seems like the VIPs made out pretty well. I never saw what qualified a 'VIP' but curious as to the criteria. Seems it might have been "Friends, distributors, industry connected individuals, etc". Common people get screwed again (local or otherwise)?
  8. jegross2

It was a bit crowded, but a really fun event overall. Shame on whoever took BEERMEFITZ's Anna and opened it without asking him or give him a pour. Normally, I don't care enough to say anything about that kinda stuff, but Tim is one of the absolutely nicest people in the community and he is the last person that should ever have this happen to him/her
    kawilliams81 and rjacobs6 like this.
  9. bucky10

bucky10 Aficionado (100) Minnesota Oct 14, 2010

So here is what I believe happened, as an observer who was 10th in line getting there at 1pm. Brewery had the best of intentions to have a distributor/liquor store (VIP) event before the regular event. However people realized that it was not under the best of controls and could essentially walk right in and buy 15 multiple times. The brewery trusted people who took advantage of the situation at the expense of others. I heard one person brag about being able to buy 17 bottles, but he rationalized it because he had "multiple trading partners". I was able to get my allocation so was one of the lucky few.

Will say the party was great, CW throws a great party but too bad people took advantage of them.
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

The thing about VIPs, they are very important.
    JPortillo, evilc, MarcatGSB and 2 others like this.
  11. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I completely agree. Some people decided to take advantage of the VIP party and sneak in (the VIP party was only meant for central waters' accounts). To make matters worse, they continued to get back in line to get more 15 as the brewery had no method to make sure that "vip's" that had already purchased their 2 bottles of 15 didn't just get back in line and buy more. Long story short, certain people like "mista" decided to not only sneak in as "vip's" bit continue to go back in during the vip party for more, at the expense of the honest BA's waiting inI line. Central waters counted on the honesty of its customers and, unfortunately, some of their customers were not honest and took advantage of their trust. Hopefully the proper protections will be put in place by next year to make sure these d-bags do t ruin it for all the honest Ba'ers out there.
    psychotia likes this.
  12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Sooo, are you a BA or are you a nurse?
  13. MarcatGSB

BTW, Lansman is Breaking Bads twin brother... Olympic boxer, epic lover, and fantastic salesman. #bedby9.
    elkhunter36, Lansman and CityofBals like this.
  14. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

Nope, just don't appreciate it when some d-bags decide to take advantage of a brewery's trust at the expense of other BA's.
  15. jegross2

I think CW had some great stuff there. Awesome taps, generous bottle shares, excellent food (brads cupcakes were awesome). While the organization was a weak point, I think it was overall a lot of fun. Loved the chill music in back. Thanks CW for hosting. See you guys next year!
    TATURBO, Penguin3200 and Oshy like this.
  16. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

Dont forget they are people too.
  17. lurchingbeast

Debatable.
    Jaycase and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  18. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

cheers to CW for counting on honesty of their patrons, but shame on those who took advantage. to the guy who bought 17 bottles, and I very well know who you are: screw off. the actions of you and others like you blows chunks.

i hope next time CW uses a ticketing system of some kind. or implements some organization to at least clearly communicate the "cut-off" for ltd bottle sales. waiting in line for 2 hours sux when you get within 20 ppl to be told "all gone, sorry." call me #selfentitled, i don't care. i like your beer. keep brewing what you brew. cheers
  19. So I'm skimming backwards through this post, so may just be behind. However, the important question, at least to the point that I've read thus far has been missed with politics. Would someone please help my laziness and feed my curiosity . . . how was 15 and how's in compare to 1414?
  20. Borracho

Borracho Aspirant (40) Wisconsin Jan 27, 2013

Don't you think CW could have controlled this a little better, I had a VIP inv to the event and didn't want to deal with the bs like stated above. This is my first post here on BA and don't want it to come across wrong but, CW needs to realize how coveted their product is and handle it differently? BTW my VIP invitation was a photo copy!! seriously!! Love BA forums have been reading forever finally decided to sign up!!!
  21. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

15 is incredibly good. Huge bourbon and silky smooth.
    TATURBO and InVinoVeritas like this.
  22. jegross2

More bourbon flavor, while 1414 had more base beer "stoutiness." both phenomenal on tap
    TATURBO and InVinoVeritas like this.
  23. Thank you sir!
  24. MarcatGSB

15 good.
    Night ya'll. #bedby11 central #bedby12 Yooper.
    atone315 likes this.
  25. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Whatevs old yooper
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  26. Jegross it's a shame I didn't get to put a face with a name tonight but we had to be at the same table if you knew this went down. I agree that Tim/Fitz is one of the best BA's around. He puts guys like me to shame. At least we were able to track the bottle down and get him a pour. Shame on anyone that would do that to any fellow beer advocate...much less Fitz.
    franklinn likes this.
  27. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I thought 15 tastes like a slightly thinner version of bbpt5, but has to me a remarkably similar nose and taste.

Great event run by great people, too bad about the VIP ordeal, I am sure CW was anticipating a much smaller crowd. Good to know Dekalb didn't cause any fuss.
  28. what is bs is seing people walk in well after youad get bottles while those who atually waited in line did not.
  29. jegross2

Next time man! Will you be at the next Chicago craft beer lovers event? Glad you guys were able to help Tim out
  30. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

I say it is what it is. People worked the system. More power to them. if you showed up late it's your own bad for making that assumption that showing up at the release time is gonna cut it. This is a beer event people and hopefully it's not your first rodeo. It is bad in part that the brewery allowed "VIP's" in over and over without requiring some sort of tally or ID to make sure they did not go in and out numerous times. None the less people have entitlement issues.

The local has entitlement cause it's his local brewery that he has support for X # of months/years.

The out of towner feels entitled cause he drove X # of hours/days to get there.

If you want the beer do what you need to get it. If they want to hoard it cool, if they want to trade it away cool. if they want to trade or give it to friends thats cool to cause last time i checked they bought and paid for that beer.

FYI this is just my opinion.
  31. lurchingbeast

Look man, you're a good guy. We talked privately and I believe 85% of what you said. However...

This is the most hypocritical shit I've read all week. And dontcounttoday posted at least 3 times.
    abecall98, Drew26, Steimie and 3 others like this.
  32. SourAddict

SourAddict Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2012

I was in line at 230. There was probably like 8 people in front of me when it sold out. Still was able to get 2 cases of BBCS and a half case of both PM and BBBW. Didn't seem like any of those were gonna run out when I got mine. Still was livid the whole drive home regardless of the mild score.
    BrownAleMale and MarcatGSB like this.
  33. MarcatGSB

You should be livid you bought two cases of Cherry Stout and only half of the other two. Epic fail.
    TATURBO, Wiscobrew and stayclean like this.
  34. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (395) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Impressive Fitz !:D
  35. SourAddict

SourAddict Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2012

The other two are shelf beers where I live
  36. MarcatGSB

Right on man, just nudging ya. Cheers!
  37. I'm pretty disappointed that I was not able to get any 15 after getting there just after 3 and waiting for 2+ hours in line, as it sounds like many others are. This event has really lowered my opinion of Central Waters- they knew that this event was going to be very popular and did not plan for it effectively.

Here's what they could do differently next year:

Reform the VIP system to stop people from taking advantage of it. I don't really see why they need it at all but I also doubt that is what prevented most of those in line from getting any 15.

Monitor the line length, and adjust limits accordingly over the span of the night. If they know that they will run out, at least have the decency to send someone back there to let people at the back of the line know that they will probably not get any. Alternatively, make it a ticketed event just for the purchase of the main attraction beer, and allow everyone else to still participate in the other things happening. I also saw a number of people cutting in line, maybe even to go back for a second time for more 15. Stick some ropes up to hinder people from doing that.

For the bottle share, no one could see anything. People had cellphones out just to read the labels on bottles. It was nice of you to offer tables for a bottle share, but please turn at least one light on if you are going to do something like that.

Even if I hadn't been able to get any 15, it would have been fine if CW had managed my expectations accordingly. They screwed up with the way that they organized this event: in addition to being an anniversary party, it was a beer release and I doubt that the majority of people there were even able to get one bottle of the beer they were there for. They have probably lost a number of fans with the way they handled that event, and I know for sure that they have lost one.
    BrownAleMale and Dontcounttoday like this.
  38. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Big shoutout to everyone walking out with cases of 15.
    Bigger shoutout to all the distibutors etc who kept grabbing extra 15
    Biggest shoutout to the fucking assholes who came just to scalp 15 by walking up and down the lines selling bottles they just purchased for 50 bucks.
  39. ABisonEgo

I agree with everything you say. So disappointed. I took vacation at work, drove three hours, and waited jn line for oved two hours and no one came to let me know 15 was sold out... and i saw people with three cases of it. Id like to thank brian and greg personally for getting me a bottle... awesome beeradvocates.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  40. ABisonEgo

I
    Well i think i speak for many when i say fuck your opinion. Entitlement issues aside, it could have been handled differently and managed a lot better to at least strect the limited amount that was there made it. But beyond that, dont even get me started on peoples selfishness. Even if people were able to keep going back to get more... they shouldnt have. Its fucking selfish, end of story.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.