1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters BBBW - what is it taking

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BaltimoreBeerGuy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. I thought this would be easier to trade for than seems the case. I missed trading after the release last year, and have been waiting to get this release for like a year now.

Anyone care to share what they are giving up, or gettting, for this beer?

Muchos gracias!

2. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I'll just share one greedy guy's viewpoint.

This beer is too good to trade at the price point.

And it doesn't have enough "heft" or "hype" to draw top-shelf beers.

It's a bit more expensive this year, ~$14/four pack. What you gonna get for that price that's as good?

Answer: almost nothing.

So, I trade it to my good partners around the country who deserve one of the best aging barleywines around, but 8 for a Black Tuesday? 6 for a Bramble or Coffee? 5 for some other podunk brewery who just put something in a barrel? No thanks, I'm going to just drink it.

3. _Joe_

_Joe_ Zealot (85) California Nov 2, 2012

I completely agree with everything you said.

4. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Last year I traded a fourpack of the BBBW and a fourpack of the BB stout for 2 abyss.

5. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I traded a Cantillon RdG and a Boulevard Rye on Rye for for a 4pk of BBBW and a 4pk of Peruvian Morning. That was not the main part of the trade and obviously was over $4$, but I'm happy with it because I've never tried either before. Cheers!

Mike

6. BBBW is a nice beer: smooth and easy-drinking, but a little on the sweet side (for the style) and lacking dimension. Don't get me wrong; it totally has it's appeal, but put it up against top-tier annually released barleywines like MOAS, Sucaba, or Bligh's and you'll see how it falls short.

Better-than-average locals should do it.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

7. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Dat's the truff, truff.

8. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Another thing to think about, I don't think it has hit much of distribution yet. Give it a month and you will start having better luck IMO.

9. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

You shoulda just drank them! Ng br, rt, or serendipity can get that trade done 1000 times over

10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

this. when it hits SE PA bottles linger around for months, literally, which is one of the many things i love about this beer. however the price point is more like $5-6 per bottle so that of course plays a part.