1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters BBS Infected

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Stimulus199, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

How is this an appropriate response? They should be offering a refund, not telling us to drink their infected beer.
  2. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (745) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

I e-mailed them and have gotten no response
  3. My impression is that this was Jim's recommendation, not Central Waters'
  4. Gotcha - I thought it was he was in touch with CW...

Drinking some BBBW as we speak...
  5. Yeah, I have the infected batch...bought mid Feb. Noticed it right off, but it wasn't nearly as bad a PM. I have one left.

I've got BBBW around the same time...tastes great as always.
  6. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (505) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

Still trying to sell this at mgm calhoun
  7. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I think the stuff I've seen there is from a non-infected batch. Per this thread, it is only the 36513 that is infected, unless I've missed reports of others being bad? I hope not, I still have some 35113...
  8. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (505) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

The bottles at mgm are 36513
  9. It's sharty that they had a bad batch...

In the likes of one bottle limits of KBS, BN, BCBS... I'll sure take my risks for this one. The ability to walk into any liquor store and find 4 packs for < $13 of a good craft BA stout, that isn't Dragons Milk (No disrespect)... I'll take my chances...

Yet, I hope this is not a trend with CW. . . Thats why this forum is awesome. I know the bad batch number, can steer clear and still find the good ones!

With the other limited releases - It seems I need to balance cellaring versus cracking one open for a special occasion... Yet, with CW, I can have a good BA stout a weekly basis! Just by volume they got more of my $$ then Bells, Founders, and Deschutes combined!
  10. just_in

just_in Aficionado (230) Wisconsin Apr 24, 2014

Infected CW product is still better than most others not infected.
  11. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

No. The infected stuff ive had tastes like chewing on tinfoil or licking a 9v battery. Its undrinkable. truly.

When its not infected, its great though. Maybe they should just pasteurize their BA beers. I'd rather have good PM and BBS every time than have it bottle conditioned. the carb yeast doesnt really add anything to a beer like this.
  12. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

Oh...my mistake. I would say someone should alert them but doubt that would make a lot of difference. Maybe some Mr. Yuck stickers (do they still make those?) covertly placed on the box would alert unsuspecting customers...
  13. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Whatever you have in your pipe... GIMME! :cool:
    BrettHead likes this.
  14. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Agreed!
  15. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Pasteurization doesn't exclude bottle conditioning. Often a brewery will pasteurize (typically a beer fermented with wild yeast and/or barrel aged), then add priming sugar/yeast or blend fresh beer, then bottle. I'm guessing it's a matter of cost/equipment for CW.
  16. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Ah, that's good to know.

As for the cost...how much has it cost CW recalling multiple batches of beer every year, plus the bad press that it created around the brand? Even if its $250k or more for a pasteurizer, I bet they've lost more than that in brand loyalty and recall costs. They should have changed things the very first year PM went south.

To CW: get your god damn BA beers right. When they're not infected, they're really good, (relatively) cheap, and plentiful. we NEED them in the market when KBS, BCBC, BN ect have 1 bottle limits and are $8. (since on on my high horse, you should add more body/malt to them too. The BBS would be a lot better if it were a little thicker.)

I just want to be able to buy a case of PM and BBS and not worry if its infected. I know I didnt buy any of either after the infection reports surfaced again because I dont walk around with the bad batch#'s on a card in my pocket; thus, when I see a random 4 pack sitting on a shelf, I assume its there because the regulars know its sour! (whether it is or not) So I can report first hand their infection issues have affected my buying behavior.
  17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I don't know what other beers you are drinking but they must be some real trash
  18. CW infected BBS > Dark Fatha
    mnbearsfan, lurpy1, leezy and 3 others like this.
  19. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

This is disappointing. We need all breweries to be accountable.
  20. I think the real problem is that we are buying too much CW BBS and not enough saga. This whole problem could have easily been avoided.
    treznor, travdawg7 and Hopsiam14 like this.
  21. beer politician
    4four4 likes this.
  22. Beerack Obomber?
    MNBeerGeek, Douggo and MCImes like this.
  23. Feel shame...
  24. Hey, leave me alone. Beer names are funny. Tell me Beery McBeererson doesnt make you smile.
  25. "If you like your beer, you can keep your beer"
  26. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (795) Texas Jun 14, 2012

My bottles are 32513 and just opened one at a share and tasted great.
  27. So I have a case and a half I bought in Feb for my wedding next month. They are all bottled 33313, any reports on this brew? Thanks
  28. Just 36513 that is it.
  29. Please send your case to me for unofficial CW BBS Quality Control testing...

In all seriousness I have some form that batch and they are a-ok - Have a great wedding!
  30. Awesome, thanks both of you. And yea 1.5 cases of stout and 1.5 cases of BW. Sadly it is my own wedding so I can't drink much of it, just hoping for leftovers from all the friends who don't actually know how good it is.
  31. just_in

just_in Aficionado (230) Wisconsin Apr 24, 2014

I feel like you don't understand a grooms role at a wedding.
  32. dragonaut

dragonaut Aficionado (220) Iowa May 29, 2005

Last summer at my wedding I served Stiegl Radler Grapefruit, PseudoSue, New Glarus Edel Pils and Surly Bitter Brewer. Accessible stuff that was fun and easy to drink in the summer heat, and it was cool to get people who don't normally drink craft to enjoy the stuff while pleasing my beer geek/industry friends. Serving stuff that isn't meant to please the crowd is doing it wrong, though BW is a great cellar candidate and I'm sure you'll enjoy your leftovers.
  33. I still have a few bottles of the 2012 BBS in the cellar and prefer it to the 13.
  34. I had the 2013 on tap today at the brewery and I must say it was amazingly good.
  35. Speaking of drinking BBS at the brewery... Anyone have any clue or details on 17?