1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters BBS

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Their barreled beers are great, but definitely benefit from a good year of aging - whether it's their BBS or BBBW. Have a nice vertical going and the barrel melds well with time.

2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I need to stock up on BBBW when it's released. I bought a few in Jan and while I liked it, I wasn't really all that impressed. Sat on one for most of the year and cracked it open last month and man it was so good. There was an oddly high amount of floaters in it, but damn good.

I really like BBS, but it is not comparable to BCBS in any way at all (well, besides the nose actually). I really like it fresh, and even though I probably wound up buying a total of like 2 or 3 cases of it over a few months, I drank it all and did not save any, the most aged one I've had was like 8 or 9 months old.

3. TyPhD

TyPhD Zealot (85) Mar 19, 2012

Anyone ever hear anything regarding their Peruvian morning recall?

4. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Fact: Hill Farmstead Damon is not as good as any year of BCBS. :)

jRocco2021 likes this.
  5. jaywoz

jaywoz Aficionado (155) Illinois Oct 29, 2005

Any idea of when we might BBS and BBW in the chicago area?

6. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

This x1000. I was so unhappy when I cracked the 1st of my 4 pack and it was sour. I still have one bottle of peruvian from the year before that I will probably open once I know this years batch is okay. Then I will be buying as much as I can.

7. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

More deliciousness from Central Waters. Yum.

Has anyone seen any Brewhouse Coffee Stout lately? I haven't seen it around the Oshkosh area in a while.

8. midwest-hops

midwest-hops Initiate (20) Jun 12, 2012

I've still seen CW BBS '11 around Chicago a month or two ago FWIW

9. About 12 months in a mix of barrels usually from Heaven Hill I believe.

10. ShortHop

ShortHop Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 24, 2008

Is the Cherry version an annual thing or was that just something they tried last year?

11. nsmartell

nsmartell Savant (350) Wisconsin Aug 17, 2007

Cherry is annual

12. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

This is a seasonal also, a couple weeks ago at the brewery i was told it should be coming out dec/jan. I had it on tap a few times recently though (at the brewery and a tap takeover). Also, last time I was there they had some barrels of exodus getting ready to be bottled and i was told they had already bottled some too! Oh and I agree about some age on the bbs especially, i had that at the brewery not too long ago and it was so much better than it was fresh

mpwdoyle likes this.
  13. Been wondering this myself. Right after I contacted them over 6 months ago I was told I would recieve free 4 packs of this years PM, have not heard anything yet. I did not want to bother them about it incase they just put me on a list and are planning on contacting me closer to release, so I guess I will wait till January and hope I get a email or something.

14. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

They could be handing out a LOT of free PM this year. They have no way to verify if you actually bought any of the beer. You could email them, tell them you bought two cases. Below is what the options are:

1- We can send you a coupon for one of next years Peruvian Morning, redeemable at a store yet to be determined
    2 - We can send you CWBC merchandise equal to what you bought
    3 - If you would like to make it to the brewery, we can send you a gift certificate redeemable here.
    4 - We can provide you with one bottle of our 15 year anniversary beer, but you must be oresent at our Anniversary Party on January 26, 2013.

15. eorwar

eorwar Savant (285) Illinois Jan 11, 2012

I got this email as well. If you chose to get next years beer they emailed me that there will be a pick-up location in a major city near you. Mine being Chicago.

16. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

from FB:

Central Waters Brewing Company
    OK, here's the scoop. Bourbon Barrel Stout and Y2K Barleywine are both bottled, or getting bottled within a week. They have been sent out to some wholesalers already and will continue to be delivered to all of our markets over the next week or so. The big change on Bourbon Stout this year, it is now aged for a full year in bourbon barrels, that is twice the time than ever before, and creates a smoother, more rounded mouthfeel. Yeah, we took an awesome beer and made it awesomer. Yes, that's a word, and that's how we roll.

17. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (340) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Sounds awesome to me!

18. stayclean

Yeah, that sounds great. Hopefully it means it'll be a tad less thin, heh.

19. atone315

atone315 Advocate (680) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't barrel aging thin a beer out? Hence, more -bal = thinner brew?

20. stayclean

Oh yeah.... that is generally correct. Brainfart. :oops:

21. atone315

atone315 Advocate (680) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

I wish the opposite were true, that is the only thing missing from that rather fine brew...

stayclean likes this.
  22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (945) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It's on the shelves in Madison today. Buying it after work!

psychotia likes this.
  23. tclang

tclang Aficionado (190) Wisconsin Nov 11, 2011

Until this year, I they only aged it for around 6 months. This year's BBS is aged a full year.

24. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Mmmm... smooth as silk.... i could drink this every day. that's something i definitely cannot say about BCBS.

love. this. beer. cheers to CW!

25. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (195) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

According to @wisconsuds it's out.

26. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I was just scrolling down to see if anyone had mentioned that this years batch has been in the barrels for a full year as opposed to previous batches. Should be interesting to see how much difference it makes. Now, I'm glad I cellared a couple bottles from last year.

27. psychotia

Drinking one now, I feel the bourbon is better integrated than last year. It's been too long since my last 2011 to make a fair, objective comparison though.

WITTBEER and chanokokoro like this.
  28. DP34

DP34 Aficionado (185) Wisconsin Feb 1, 2010

Anyone else notice the price increase? Looks like it went up about $10 a case at wholesale.

29. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

Its because theyre aging it an extra 6 months now

30. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

How much was a 4pk? It was 10.99 everywhere i saw it in MN last year. Was 8.99-9.99 in 08-'09

31. Just had my first one tonight. My opinion:

GREAT! Especially for price point. The only things I think could be improved are the mouthfeel - it's just not full enough, not like drinking thick, silky oaky chocolate like BCBS - and I think a little more chocolate could compliment the bourbon taste better. It didn't burn or anything - it's just I didn't get as many chocolate notes as I wanted. But I am definitely getting more soon.

32. psychotia

Did you let it sit out for an hour before opening/pouring/drinking? If not, give that a shot.

33. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

CW BBS is a fine beer. But no amount of sitting out is going to turn it into BCS. IMHO.

I got a metallic flavor out of last year's. Hoping this year's doesn't exhibit the same property for me.

34. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

Just tried last years Peruvian after reading this thread. Sour spoiled and awful. A real shame.

Lexo430 likes this.
  35. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (500) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

$12 at Woodman's this year for the BB Stout, they didn't have Y2K in yet. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in flavor compared to last year but my memory is horrible; I might've had overly high expectations given the fact that it was aged for twice as long. For whatever reason I've always enjoyed it a lot more on tap.

Peruvian Morning last year was tragic, I only drank 1 delicious bottle before it went bad. I'm still waiting to hear back on the recall as well.

36. AndresR

AndresR Savant (255) California Jul 19, 2009

Please tell me this year's CW BBA Stout is and last year's Peruvian Morning is like apples to sour oranges. *Fingers crossed that lessons were leaned by CW.

37. pippys85

pippys85 Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 15, 2011

So any in Milwaukee? I will be there tomorrow.

38. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Savant (370) Wisconsin Apr 13, 2010

Pretty sure it's not here yet. Milwaukee tends to lag a week behind Madison on central waters releases.

39. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012

I hope you do too.

40. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012

I've got a spot that's got plenty of delicious Y2K.