1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters BBS

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Ri0, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Cool story.
  2. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

CWBBS now in at Lincoln Park Binnys.
  3. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Has anyone seen this in the NW Chicago Burbs yet?
  4. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Everyone relax. This beer will be there. Last year it sat at South Loop Binnys for months. No need to go truck chasing or camping out at 5am just to get a bottle
    maximum12 likes this.
  5. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

This. There was an end cap at Castle Vav with too many cases to count. This stuff will be around and continue to float around long after the BBBW and CW Cherry variants are gone.
    pschul4 likes this.
  6. Kind of the opposite im my area last year. BBS was around for a while, about a month but BBBW was around for a good 4-5 months, which was fine by me being that it is far in a way my favorite barrel beer on planet earth. However I was obligated to by a 4 pack everytime I went to the store by my crazy BBBW loving brain!
  7. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

pschul is wise......
    gpawned and pschul4 like this.
  8. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Binny's in Algonquin got 5 cases stacked.
  9. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Famous last words. Urbancaver gave similar advice about not having to show up super early for the Jackie O's release this past weekend in bufu Ohio...then got reamed when those who took it to heart got shut out because eleventy billion more people showed up this time compared to every other time they've had a release.

Now multiply that disaster by the Chicago factor and the 25 cases of CW BBS hitting the Binnys on Grand tomorrow is estimated to sell out in milliseconds.

My advice...if you haven't already picked it up...you probably aren't getting any. This goes for every beer release ever from now on.
  10. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Sadly I agree with you. Thank god theres infinite amounts of delicious shelf beers so I don't have to worry about the crazy hoarding Chicagoans
    gpawned likes this.
  11. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

yes, was very disappointed by that. saw a 30% price increase per four pack in my market over what I paid last year...and im 45 mins from the brewery!
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Woohoo I know where I'm going after work
  13. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (140) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

Im sure you've already heard, but it's because they aged it for a full year instead of just 6 months this year
    gpawned likes this.
  14. And if barrel storage time is worth as much as some breweries think it is, an extra $3 a 4-pack is still a steal.
    gpawned likes this.
  15. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

do you drive 100mph on 10?
  16. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

It does stink, but its still much cheaper then 99% of the Barrel aged stouts out there. Put this in a fancy 750 or bomber(wax top is a must!:rolleyes: ), and many breweries charge $15-20 for a bottle.

That being said, i saw it for 12.99 in MN, ended up grabbing Narwhal at 8.99 instead but Im not all that crazy for Bourbon stouts.
  17. jegross2

Yeah. I mean thats cool, havent tried it yet, and hope its even better this year. Just feel bad that its an extra $3+ over the price I told everyone i'd pick up bottles as part of my muling services
  18. jegross2

You dont!?!?

Oh I 100% agree.
  19. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Your advice is correct, but I still get a kick out of people going to extreme measures for beers when it isn't necessary.
    pschul4 and jegross2 like this.
  20. jegross2

Quit "cam"-ing it!
  21. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (140) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

yea its kind of rediculous everyone is getting them for 11.99 at binnys, yet in stevens point they're like 13.50. Don't they pay for shipping? lol
  22. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

good point. yes, yes i do.
    jegross2 likes this.
  23. Wisconsin

$14 over in Hudson. I won't be buying as much this year given the $2-3 hike. How is it two dollars cheaper in Chicago? Bizarre.
  24. Wisconsin

I hadn't heard this. Was there any reason for the change? Longer barrel time can only help, but I'm curious why the change. Also do you know if this affects the Y2K Ale? The price went up on that as well.
  25. jegross2

Same in green bay
  26. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

They said they did it to create a "smoother, rounder mouthfeel" (or something along those lines). I drank a '11 and '12 (a day apart, not back to back.. but still) and the '12 was pretty comparable I thought.
  27. orangie8

orangie8 Zealot (80) Illinois Aug 8, 2009

We just got BBS in the distributor yesterday. That mean's that liquor stores in Central Illinois should start receiving it in the next week or so.
  28. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

Couple cases on the floor @ DP Binnys. Also saw couple cases of Rev VMC there.
  29. Just got to La Crosse (finally) and wait for it.... $9.69 a 4 pack.... I guess sometimes it is good to get it later when the price is that awesome. Last year it was 9.99 so it actually went down .30 cents. Needless to say I grabbed a case and half.
    misterid likes this.
  30. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Drank my first one just now (and now starting my second). I likey!
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  31. Wisconsin

Was this at Woodman's? Every time I visit the prices are absurdly cheap even compared to other Woodman's locations.
  32. It was indeed at woodmans, we have a good one here in La Crosse, never have bottle limits. I know both the manager of the store who is best friends with my dad and the manager of the liqour store who is a very nice lady. They keep the prices really fair, it is the only place I buy beer around here.
  33. Wisconsin

I wish I lived closer. My only path through that town was visiting my sister at college, but those days have passed. Everything was the same or cheaper than in Madison. FFF, Bells, you name it. Enjoy those steals. Either that Woodman's is selling them without much profit (doubtful) or the rest of us across the state are being hosed with these significantly higher prices.
  34. I think it is regional.... Even the more expesive grocery store (festival) is only 50 cents more a six on average... but hey we do not get FFF anymore so you got that goin for ya!
  35. vic311

vic311 Aficionado (105) Illinois Jan 28, 2012

Very good beer but a tad bit thin....
  36. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

11.99 at Binny's Niles
  37. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

It's a thinner stout. Previous vintages have been as well.
  38. Has a nice creamy mouthfeel I thought anyway
    chanokokoro likes this.
  39. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Agreed. I really like the beer, but it isn't as full-bodied as some other BA American double/imperial stouts.
  40. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Heh, my local shop in Sun Prairie WI has it for $13.99. Woodmans in SP for $11.99. Its so good I don't care the price. Cost of living will be higher in the Madison area so I expect things to cost more, just as I expect my job to pay more than anywhere else in WI. It all works out.