1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Central Waters La Petite Mort

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by bmony26, Apr 5, 2013.

1. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was released again this year. A Belgian inspired Weissenbock aged in Bourbon Barrels.

2. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

CW barrel aged anything is like tits in the face

3. dmbsnus

dmbsnus Aficionado (145) Illinois Jan 10, 2012

that's a good thing right?

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  4. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Unless you get bad bottles of PM

BlastBeats, theCoder and grilledsquid like this.
  5. the translation says that it should be good by definition alone:)

Number45forever likes this.
  6. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

All I want to know is when this is coming out.

7. its a large format bottle i wonder how much will be distroed and where

8. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (475) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

Did I miss this? Per their 2013 schedule it says it was supposed to come out in March. Also it says the bourbon scotch is supposed to come out this month. I wasn't a huge fan of BB Slainte on tap (bourbon overwhelmed the base beer) but still would be happy to try it again in a 4-pack.

9. Dactrius

Last time they released LPM it was pretty limited, sold out in less than 24 hours in Madison.

10. It's out right now. I stopped at my local and picked up a couple bottles.

11. Last year there wasn't very much made but it there was quite a bit released in Central WI....

12. The Bottle Stop in Steven's Point has it - they posted on FB earlier today.

13. Dactrius

It hasn't arrived yet in Madison, or at least Woodman's didn't know anything about it. Yet another limited release beer I have to try and get my hands on before it sells out? The chase is getting old....

14. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Only for those who don't like the penis.

spicoli00 likes this.
  15. They have 3 or 4 cases.

16. Where in SE WI have you guys seen this? Discount Waukesha and Ortiz in Elm Grove have no clue this came out.

17. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

This was part of our pre-KBS bottle share party.

[​IMG]

18. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

We're talking about a woman's tits I hope? :p

Jimmeekrek likes this.
  19. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

CW barrel aged stuff can sometimes be a D in the face (Infected Peruvian Morning)

20. PM is fine. I call vs on those who claim they got bad PM. I've had several this year. The coffee notes are unique and some people don't know what they are tasting so they jump to "OMG it's infected".

21. Dactrius

Last year's PM was infected, plain and simple. Central Waters admitted it. I powered through 6 bottles of it after it went bad, it wasn't subtle. This year is obviously a different story, I haven't had any problems so far.

22. spicoli00

If i wanted to play with moobs, i'd play with my own.

nickapalooza86 and mychalg9 like this.
  23. spicoli00

^THIS

I'm on my third 4 pack and have enjoyed every bottle. It can happen, and praise Jebus, it hasn't happened to me in years. But, I feel like the number of people say they gotten infected beers is over blown. When I have gotten infected beers, it usually results in a gusher.

24. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

I got the last two bottles at Cork n' Bottle two weeks later. Because no one goes to Cork n' Bottle.

25. spicoli00

This is a different story. If the brewers admit to infection, there's no arguing there.

26. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I agree that people jump to conclusions that beers are infected more often than they should. However, something is definitely going on with PM again this year. I had it fresh and it was excellent. I had one last night, and it had the tart finish of a wild beer. I find it hard to believe that i and a few hundred others in the midwest and great lakes forum are imagining things. Is this going to stop me from buying other CW beers like a lot of others have said? No, i still love BBS and BBBW, and will probably even buy PM again next year if they make it. But something has definitely gone wrong with PM again this year, whether you believe it or not.

CORKSCREWFISH and BottleCaps80 like this.
  27. Benish

Benish Savant (480) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Geez I get some KBS and now this comes out? I already spent my allotment. Wonder what's available next month! Probably not the La Petite Mort :(

28. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

Crap, iso!

29. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Unfortunately, I had the exact same experience--had one a month or so ago and it was outstanding, then had one last night and it was on the sour side. I chalked it up to my sense of taste still being a little off after having had a cold all week, but now I'm wondering.

30. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Well, I have been a party to discussions about 2009 Mirror Mirror and Abyss, BA Yeti, Matilda, Guava Grove, Shorts, Duck Rabbit, and others, and there are always folks who claim no infection and say others are bad tasters, and there are always breweries who won't admit infection until evidence is so widespread and damning that they are forced to admit. When one person says infection it is suspect, when 300 say it there can be little doubt. Depending on blending programs, barrel aged beer in bottles won't necessarily have infection in every bottle.

31. spicoli00

Interesting. Do you have more details on how the blending can infect some bottle and not others in the same batch? Just trying to educate myself.

32. The irony of this, of course, is what "le petit mort" means...

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Barrels are the main culprit in the infections of barrel aged beers. Sometimes it is the bottling line. Both of these things can infect some bottles and not others. The exception is when all the barreled beers are mixed together, and then bottled. If the beer is made in only one fermentor, and that is where the infection began, it is likely all bottles will carry infection.

Infections can be slow to show themselves, and can be influenced by storage. A beer kept refrigerated immediately after sale will show infection more slowly than a beer that is kept at room temp.

Barrels are more likely sources for infection for two reasons. 1. The barrel itself can carry the infection in a way that is much harder to eliminate than in the primary fermentor. 2. The yeast colony in the primary fermentor will make conditions that infections find more difficult to get a start. Yeasties are very territorial and do not like sharing their meals with other microorganisms. They only eat approx. 90% of available starch/sugar. Lacto, pedio, aceto, and the Bretts haved no trouble eating the leavings, though.

There that's more than you wanted to know, I bet, but a good primer.:)

34. I've opened 3 bottles so far. The first two, which I opened about a month ago, were awesome. The third one I opened I knew something was wrong as soon as I poured it. It wasn't as viscous as the first two and the taste was tart and faintly medicinal. There's a thread on the Great Lakes forum where others have reported similar findings.

35. spicoli00

As a homebrewer i can appreciate this. Havent tried to barrel age anything yet but will note for the future.

36. Anyone know if MN will see this brew? I asked my local liqy who's good on this kind of thing and they hadn't heard of it. If not, ISO!

37. They had it for sale at the 1515 party....bought 3, wish I woukd have grabbed more. Its part of there local project..along with the Wet Hop (which was great especially at $3/650ml)

38. Dactrius

I had no idea they had it for sale at the party or I totally would have bought some...they need better signage or I need to be more observant (maybe both). Now I'm forced to fight for some in stores. Anyone see this in Madison yet?

misterid likes this.
  39. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

missed this as well

40. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Slightly OT question - we get the BBBW and BBS from Central Waters out here in Philly. Anyone know if Peruvian Morning or their other barrel-aged offerings are in wide distribution? I love me some Central Waters and want to try more of their stuff before they take off on the hype train.