1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cerveceria Costa Rica (Magic Hat) Suing West Sixth Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Nutwood, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (285) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

I can see how they are somewhat similar, but the whole circle vs. oval thing (yes, i know the bottle logo is likely a circle as well, but appears to be an oval on the bottle) as well as the very large "West Sixth Brewing" and "IPA" makes me wonder how legit this actually is. And if the only thing actually trademarked is the "#9", then I question how it could go through (though I'm certainly no lawyer). Regardless, I hate that it's happening. West Sixth is making great stuff and I don't want anything to suffer or their plans to be thwarted by some wanna-be craft brewery trying to play corporate tough guy.

2. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

I read this earlier and was actually going to contact them since I am a craft beer lawyer but now that it hit beerpulse their website has been crushed. I guess I will try again later.

AwesomeSquad, Zach136 and stooge like this.
  3. I went one better I have refused to buy Magic Hat for many years now !!

4. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 24, 2009

I think Magic Hat has a very solid case here. The similarities are striking and #9 has been around much longer and is a national brand. I think they should have just sent a cease & desist letter though.

5. Petition signed. Boycott begun.

Easiest boycott ever, by the way...

6. Magic Hat #9 sucks.

7. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

8. West Sixth could've been a bit more original if you ask me.

cbeer88, nanobrew, Kinsman and 4 others like this.
  9. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Striking?

You want to explain what these striking similarities are? I tried in a post above, but all I got was a huge amount of differences. And I stand behind the math being the most important aspect. :)

10. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

they are similar but neither are original ideas. Magic Hat was the first company to ever think of putting a number in a circle? come on.

Jake_Ramrod and Converge like this.
  11. ok i guess someone deleted the picture i posted on this thread for some reason...but someone posted/pointed out on fb that one of magic hat's designs is strikingly similar to a circular mountain dew logo.... hypocrisy is awesome

Zach136 likes this.
  12. Honestly, the West Sixth logo is #9 flipped over, in different colors, with the star removed and placed elsewhere. The similarities are, indeed, striking. The font is ideally the same, with the only differences being extremely slight. No, 6 does not equal 9, but had Magic Hat come out with a #6 beer I could imagine it looking exactly like West Sixth's IPA.

13. I love the comments on Magic Hat's FB page. Get em!

14. Groomsy

Groomsy Savant (350) Kentucky Sep 23, 2010

Petition signed. Don't mess with Kentucky, son.

yesyouam likes this.
  15. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The Font is radically different.

The backgrounds are really, really radically different. All sixes look like nines upside down.

The star is similar, but still different (not radically).

And most importantly to me, the math is different. A six and nine are at least 33% different. Admittedly, they are closer to each other than either is to 312.

16. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

This whole thing puts me in mind of the old movie "Next of Kin". Have you seen that one, Magic Hatters?

17. I'm no big-city lawyer, but I did have to take classes about copyright infringement and intellectual property in my time in undergrad, so I feel that I have a bit of casual knowledge on the subject.

My layperson's opinion is that if West Sixth had the resources to fight this, they would win. It seems to me like Magic Hat is banking on the fact that West Sixth *doesn't* have said resources, because there is no way in hell the West Sixth logo meets the basic standard for this kind of trademark infringement case (Likelihood of Confusion).

There are so many things that are different about these two logos and brands that the similarities (presence of an 8-pointed star and the similar-looking number font) are almost negligible. Complete opposite ends of the color spectrum, the fact that they are trying to conflate a "6" with a "9". The fact that the #9 logo has almost no text and a distinct texture around the "9". One other thing worth noting: the lawsuit is suing based on the fact that the West Sixth *company* logo resembles an individual *beer* brand logo. I think that may also factor in when it comes to the whole standard of customer confusion.

The other outcome I could see happening--if West Sixth were to fight it--is the judge ruling that they did not violate Magic Hat's trademark, but that they need to eliminate the star or change the font of the '6' to avoid any potential confusion in customers.

The thing that's so fucked up about this is that I didn't even know that #9 had an 8-pointed star in the logo UNTIL this thread.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with West Sixth and have never had a single taste of any of their beers.

yesyouam and Jake_Ramrod like this.
  18. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yikes. Someone is losing their job.

19. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Why did you flip the West Sixth logo? A pound sign and 9 is just that and a 6 with a star is just that. West Sixth will prevail here.

20. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

If you don't like it, flip your monitor over.

21. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I'll do that!! Thanks for the constructive feedback. :oops:

Roguer likes this.
  22. I mean, magic hat is totally in the right on this one .

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  23. antzman

antzman Savant (340) Indiana Feb 14, 2005

Magic Hat did a similar thing to Barley Island from Indiana several years back too.... Barley Island brewed a coffee stout with coffee from a local roastery called Black Majic Java Stout http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1445/33384. Apparently, Magic Hat had a beer of a similar name and sent a cease and desist letter to Barley Island. Barley did not have the means to fight it, and changed the name of the beer rather than go through any lengthy battle. This was before Magic Hat was bought out by this new group, so apparently, they've gotten more litigious.

24. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

asked a lawyer friend about it, he replied:

"Confusion can be part of an infringement claim...Can even use 'is this similar' or 'would you think these products are related' as tests to determine infringement"

I think it's a pretty thin claim, but it's not baseless...I could see how a consumer without great knowledge of the beer industry might assume they were similar or related products. Should be a tough sell for MH though.

25. Will people be boycotting the other companies that Cerveceria owns? None of them look that thrilling to begin with anyway

26. From what I know about the "confusion" aspect of an infringement claim, the end-consumer matters as well. In other words, Magic Hat can't just presume that the people who would likely be buying their beer are ignorant BMC drinkers who wouldn't know a Magic Hat from Cat In The Hat. There is a reasonable assumption that the consumers who are buying Magic Hat and West Sixth beers are so-called informed consumers, and that the label similarity would have to be awfully striking to cause confusion. Given the stark difference in the color palettes alone, I think that's a hard case to make.

Of course, the issue is whether or not West Sixth has the resources to prove their case.

27. BierCellar

BierCellar Aficionado (120) Maine Apr 5, 2012

I can say we no longer carry Magic Hat in our store. F**k bullies and fake craft.

28. Any attorney in Kentucky who can handle an infringement case would definitely get a whole lot of beer karma for taking their case pro-bono

AwesomeSquad, Shagator and Roguer like this.
  29. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

The star is kind of damning.... damn!

jamvt likes this.
  30. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

That said, I've seen pictures of West 6th cans before and never thought, "oh, that looks like #9" which is sold in literally every store within 200 miles of here (even the ones that don't sell beer.)

31. Roguer

Roguer Champion (975) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I don't like #9. I don't think it's a particularly tasty beer. I hate bullies and corporate trolls. So, this is a no-brainer for me: no more Magic Hat.

32. What would happen if six turned out to be nine? Al Hendrix should sue both!

33. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 30, 2011

They should be filing suit against MillerCoors soon for Batch 19 right? That 9 could confuse someone!

34. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I hope West Sixth does a collab beer with Three Floyds and a Death Metal band that writes a song shitting all over Magic Hat.

35. Al Hendrix?

36. Inchay

Inchay Zealot (90) California Feb 24, 2012

I will. The hastiness to seek litigation is a huge turnoff for me. I almost feel sorry for Pyramid, they're considered one of the locals where I'm from.

37. sefus12

sefus12 Savant (285) Kentucky Sep 7, 2006

Or, if they HAVE to change their logo, make a new IPA called Fe-Fi-Fo-FUMH. I'll let the rest of you figure it out.

38. Magic Hat-Bear Republic-Tyranena collaboration underway.

Sue! Sue! Sue!

Someone needs to name a beer Scurvy Racer #9. Then we can have a collaborative lawsuit.

39. jdhowe

jdhowe Savant (390) Georgia Mar 18, 2013

Was unaware of Pyramid being mixed up in this. Attempts to figure out what brands are in Cerveceria Costa Rica's portfolio via Google were a dismal failure... does anyone have a complete list of brands or a source listing them?

If Pyramid is actually owned by these guys, that does make me sad since I live within walking distance of their primary brewing site and will occasionally go there for food/beer. Plenty of other good food around, but it would still be a bit sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.