1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Change of Heart

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ledzeppelin4, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

What are some brews that you've had before and either hated or thought "meh", but now you love? For me I would have to go with Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, Goose Island IPA, and Noble Pils. (Hated all these the first time I had 'em. Learnin' to love the hops is a beautiful thing lol. Now I consider them go-to's). You?
  2. I hated my first bottle of Breakfast Stout and have loved every bottle since. That was a long time ago. The most recent example I can think of is Duck Rabbit Milk Stout. I thought the 1st bottle was flavorless, overrated, and mediocre. Two 6 packs later, I love it. I don't know how I missed the lactose and chocolate flavor in the first 6 pack, but I did. Kinda like when I missed the coffee in Breakfast Stout, I can only attribute it to an off day for the palate.
    ufmj likes this.
  3. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

I find the inverse happening more often, but stuff I really didn't like initially that I'm slowly coming around to now? Sometimes if there's a really intense flavour that I wasn't prepared for, the initial experience is jarring/unpleasant, while follow up (or more educated) pours are better appreciated.
    I wasn't big on hyper-hoppiness when I first started, so when I would pick up a ruination or a hop stoopid or something when I first started out because I 'heard it was awesome' I couldn't get behind it. Now with a more developed palate/better informed self I find myself enjoying such brews (in the right context, of course)
  4. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

The first time I had a bottle of Sam Adams (SA) Alpine Spring this year, I was underwhelmed and really found it to be unremarkable. But then I had it on tap a couple of weeks ago...and the two words that came to mind were "fruity" and "refreshing"?! I still consider SA Noble Pils to be a more appropriate spring seasonal, but I'm definitely a fan of Alpine Spring.
  5. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I second stone ssr. I tend to go the other way. I will have a beer and it will be great and the next time its just ok.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Not so much a change of heart but a change of palate, I used to hate.....no....despise anything hoppy. Now I crush IPAs\DIPAs like a boss.
  7. One of the very first non-lagers I had was Paulaner Weissbier and I thought it was revolting, I now think it is one of the better weissbiers out there.

Another one was De Struise St. Amatus. I was not overly impressed with the first bottle I had (rated roughly 3.65/5), but I have loved every bottle I had since then.
  8. Couldn't agree more. I was about to post that exact same thing.
    Hanzo likes this.
  9. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

10. zid

zid Savant (355) New York Feb 15, 2010

It's great that you guys had a change of heart, but why continue to buy six packs if you didn't like it in the first place?
    Falling out of love is bound to be more common.
  11. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Ommegang Witte. It's so common around here, and I've been exposed to it for about five years now so I used to just look at it as kind of a bland lineup-filler, a witbier that the company knows will sell well to people that prefer something light and spritzy and spicy—like a non-shitty, craft version of Hoegaarden or Blue Moon.

But recently I sat down with it for a formal review and was surprised at its depth and complexity, and general level of sophistication. They really hit that one out of the park, for the style, and I'm trying not to overlook it or take it for granted anymore.
    jgluck likes this.
  12. fmccormi

Actually, the same kind of goes for Hennepin. I used to think it was good, but overly thick, overly spicy, overly chewy and yeasty. Definitely appreciate it more these days—just wish it were a bit smaller, for sessioning.
  13. Couple years back, I couldn't stand beer aged in a bourbon barrel. My palette has since checked itself. Hmm could be why I'm in line for coinstar.
    dwagner003 likes this.
  14. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Arrogant Bastard took me a few go around before I enjoyed it.
  15. Stouts and Porters are my next hurdle.. But I simply cannot get past the coffee flavor.. I detest coffee and always will. I think this may be a hopeless endeavor.
  16. They sell Hennepin in 4 packs as well as 750's.
  17. fmccormi

Sorry—smaller in weight and ABV.
  18. SA Boston Lager.