1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Charity beer event at Reuben H. Fleet Science Center - San Diego

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by nanobrew, Jan 15, 2013.

1. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

This is a cool event I am helping with and thought I would point it out. All the money raised will go to the Science Center. The event only cost $20 and includes food (small pairings catered by various places) and 6 tasters (more can be purchased). There will be a discussion panel where you can ask questions to brewers and other people in the industry. The breweries that will be present are Stone, Helms, Monkey Paw, Hillcrest, Mad Lab, and Green Flash. White Labs will also be present and part of the discussion panel.

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/58998

http://www.rhfleet.org/events/science-rocks

the event is on Jan 24th at 6:30pm
    ehammond1, DougOLis, spry and 3 others like this.
  2. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

3. nanobrew

has anyone tried Mad Lab before? I have not seen them around nor are there any reviews about them.

I am guessing I will mainly be trying Helm's, Mad Lab, Monkey Paw, and Hillcrest. Though I am interested to see if Stone and GF just bring their regular line ups or something interesting (GF, as the moderator I will throw you softball questions if you bring some Silva)
    ehammond1 likes this.
  4. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

I tried one of their beers at the Brewers Guild Fest during SDBW...it was a brown ale that was either horribly infected, or one of the most misguided attempts at a sour that I've ever had. A friend and I approached the brewer to ask about it and he seemed to be offended by even being asked (and I phrased it in a very friendly way, I didn't just ask if he intended to brew sewer water), but assured me that it was exactly what he intended. There were three other people who were about to ask the same question and overheard the conversation, so it wasn't just my palate.

Perhaps the other beers are good, but between the terrible beer and the brewer's response, I have zero interest in giving them any further attention.

Edit: Definitely try Helms if you haven't been to their tasting room yet, they're brewing up solid stuff. Nothing earth-shattering, but well executed.
    nanobrew likes this.
  5. nanobrew

I have not tried Helm's yet (nor Hillcrest) so I am excited to try 3 new breweries.

Interesting about Mad Lab. I am curious to try their beers. Any idea how big they are or how big their batch sizes are?
  6. Xul

No idea...a Facebook photo from late April 2012 shows a Blichmann system that looks to be set up batches of roughly 1 barrel and the brewer filling corny kegs from a plastic conical. I haven't been to their facility so I have no idea if that's their main system or not, but it's the only indication of their size on their FB. They refer to themselves as a nano, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is in fact their production system.
  7. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

I've tried two Mad Lab beers. Both were drainpours.
  8. nanobrew

ohhh man. Not sounding good so far. Did you also try them at the Guild Fest? What have you tried from them?
  9. nanobrew

with seeing the other post about Modern Times I realized I had forgot to mention that Jacob will also take part in the discussion panel. Since the brewery is not operational yet he will not have any samples. However, he will be there to talk to... I am sure even about his blog post.

p.s. Sorry Jacob about the omission
  10. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Nuts, sold out!

Actually just took a look at my Untappd and I've tried 3: Gatekeeper, Rebel, Sultry Venus. Gatekeeper was underwhelming and the other two were clearly infected. They were all bottles though - haven't had them on draft.
  11. nanobrew

Wow, they sold fast towards the end. There were about 100 out of 500 tickets left on Monday.
  12. Xul

Gatekeeper is the one I tried (I guess it's supposed to be a stout, not a brown ale), though it was on tap rather than out of a bottle. Sounds like their track record on infections isn't too hot.
  13. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (270) California Jan 11, 2010

That's because some asshole started a thread about it on Monday.
    besaunders, ryno09, SageO and 2 others like this.
  14. I've never encountered them, but this was interesting from their Wordpress site and maybe illuminates some of what's being discussed.

Be True to Your Size

November 22, 2012

If you think you are bigger than your size represents, you might fall down. The fall can be hurtful, but the lessons you learn are more important. If you do not reflect long enough to learn the mistakes that you make, the next fall will be more detrimental to your emotional stability and self-worth. The feeling of inadequacy can be minimized by self-reflection. This is the hardest activity for anyone to complete. You will actually have to be honest with yourself because the act of true self-reflection will pave the road of your success.
    We have only been in business for a few months, but we have learned more than we ever thought possible. I have kept my mind and eyes open to every consumer that I have encountered. Even though some of the feed back is difficult to absorb, it is important to be attentive and listen. Every person has something to offer; therefore, I do not react to challenging comments. Instead, I absorb everything and review the conversation in my mind at a later time. When I am in a relaxed state, I find the information that will make our brewery better or help us grow to the next level. This raises an important question. What is the next level?
    We have recently discovered that many people like the idea of unfiltered craft beer; however, only a few people actually like unfiltered craft beer. Two completely different concepts with varying outcomes. Our final decision over several months of deliberation, we have decided to filter all of our beers. What else have we discovered?
    Brewing two batches of beer back to back allows us to use 60 gallon fermenters and save on fermentation space, but it is not practical. The day is extremely long, and we have limited our selves on the amount of brewing days per week. If we brew one batch of beer per day before we open, we can increase our productivity. In addition, the brew day is shorter, and we can package beer in the afternoon as well. Also, the long brew day inhibits your attention span; therefore, the ability for mistakes to occur has increased.
    We are a very young brewery that is trying to find our niche in a saturated market. At the same time, we are the first local craft brewery in South Bay. A unique combination that still requires us to pay attention to our consumers, be competitive and continue to grow in an expanding market place.
    If you ever get the time, we would like to meet you and hear what you have to say. If you have not seen us in a while, we would like to serve you again. From our family to yours, we wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
  15. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Word must have spread that I am going to be on a panel. So I expected a sell out.
    nanobrew likes this.
  16. Xul

Unfiltered isn't a synonym for infected, unless my thesaurus is out of date. I don't want to go out of my way to trash them, every new brewery stumbles in some way or another, but refusing to own up to your issues is a quick way to ensure that I never try your beer again.
  17. nanobrew

If anyone has questions they want me to ask Ryan let me know, such as:

- Aside from Corona light what is your favorite beer?
    - Why is it that you don't wear pants on your San Diego Beer Vlog?
    - When are you going to grow a full beard?
    Sebowski, pmarlowe and pinkgrenade like this.
  18. nanobrew

I know what you mean about disappointing when a brewery doesn't own up to issues. I had a similar issue with Short's and their weird bottled beer (s'more, cup-a-joe, uber guber, etc), though I still enjoy their beers, I will only drink their "unique" ones on draft when visiting my family.

The good side is that he acknowledges there are problems. I am guessing he has received a lot of praise for his homebrew in the past, and it is probably very humbling to then mass produce a beer and get taken down a notch. Since he has admitted changes need to be made and he is again putting the beer on display to the masses at an event I am anxious to give his beer a shot.