1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Charleston Beer Exchange? Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dwitt24, Feb 24, 2013.

1. dwitt24

dwitt24 Initiate (0) Washington Feb 28, 2011

Looking to purchase some east coast beers from The Charleston Beer Exchange, was curious if anyone has input on the store itself or the shipping process.. I'm a little skeptical but they have beers I know that I'll never get in the state of Washington

Cheers,

Dustin Wittman
  2. CBX rocks.

That is all.
  3. I've never shopped at Charleston Beer Exchange but I do shop at Greenville Beer Exchange quite frequently and they are both owned by the same person/group of people. The owners are really cool people, the store is awesome, selection is amazing, and the prices are fair. I would say definitely give them a shot.
  4. RWNay

RWNay Savant (455) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

I was in Charleston this week for work (I'm from Chicago) and I stopped in this shop earlier this week. Nice store, good people and a good selection. I grabbed a few local bottles that I can't get at home to bring back home with me. The shop is in a nice part of town and I suggest stopping by if you have time. Also suggest going to COAST and Holy City breweries too! COAST has some stupid hours but I'm happy I was able to see them. Charleston is a great city!! But the airport sucks in bad weather. I had two canceled flights yesterday(12 hours waiting around) for some fog and rain and I'm back here now waiting to fly back home. Good luck finding some cool beer and enjoy your trip!
  5. They are great! Do it
    aasher and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  6. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Top of the line shops. Both of em.
    aasher likes this.
  7. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

8. mouseman007

mouseman007 Aficionado (100) Ohio Jan 28, 2010

I was in charelston last july and stopped in to grab some brews and the guy there was very knowledegable...ill be retrning to the area in july once again and will stop by and grab more.
  9. WBD

Holy city
    Coast
    West brook

Rock in the Chucktown market.

Small batches but worth your time if you see them pop up.
  10. WBD

I am enjoying a holy city oyster stout as we speak.
  11. COAST HopArt FTW!
  12. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

freakin awesome!!!
  13. WBD

Yes.

Wonderful stuff.
  14. Nice shop and great selection, but when I was there a year or so ago I got a lot of attitude from the staff. I am not from the area and when I asked for their recommendations on some very expensive beers they had in stock, and they said "buy two of each." When I told them that I wasn't really looking to drop $100 that afternoon, they basically acted like I wasn't worth their time. I'd still shop there, but just figured I'd share my experience.
  15. That seems very out of character. From my many, many, many experiences there, the staff has always been awesome (and that was from day one, long before I was a regular).
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  16. Fair enough -- I hesitated in even posting that, because I don't want to start a big flap, but that was definitely my experience and figured it should be shared. Maybe it was just an off day, or maybe I misread their reaction.
  17. kanzlja

kanzlja Zealot (95) Florida Aug 3, 2010

I have ordered beer twice from CBX and visited the store once. They were excellent every time!
    bryanole27 likes this.
  18. WBD

I have found them to be good folks. I shop there often. I hope you were there on a off day and next time it will make up for the bad one. My guess is that you asked about some top draw stuff and it did not work out so they misread your intentions.
  19. Sometimes it is hard to get over the price tag but with better, more expensive beers, I often later regret not buying more! "Two of each" is age-old advice: One for soonish, one for the cellar!
  20. Why are you skeptical? It's one of the best bottle shops I've been to. They are flat out awesome!
    tronto and robwestcott like this.
  21. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, no reason to be skeptical. Consistently rated highly here and among the best beer retailers in the world by that other site. And they just threw one of the Southeast's best beer festivals yesterday (as they do every year).
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  22. DIM

DIM Advocate (715) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

Wow, I was at the Greenville Beer Exchange a little over a year ago under similar circumstances and had a completely different experience. I told them I was from out of town and needed some recommendations. We had a great conversation and they even hooked me up with a bottle of blackbeered from the back. I've never had a better experience at a bottle shop, these guys were awesome. I'm shocked to hear anybody had a bad time here.

Edit: ooops same chain different store apparently. Not very relevant sorry.
  23. I don't want to add to the flap either,but I had a similar experience as you. I was quite impressed with the selection and organization, but was not impressed with the attitude. My wife and I passed it off as bad timing and will be revisiting again this September when we visit Charleston again. Hopefully our experience will be more friendly the next time. What a great city to visit,eat in and drink in!
  24. Great guys. No complaints. Brought them a few beers they couldn't get locally just to be friendly and they comped me without even asking.
  25. WBD

It was a good time. Wonderful folks. Did I mention the good time?
  26. What is a normal shipping rate for 6-pack of beer from them? I'm debating emailing them an order...
  27. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I heard the same -- unfortunately I've never been! Next year ...
  28. The two negatives are from NY and MA. Just a suggestion, but maybe you brought your attitudes with you? I mean, those states aren't known for subtle gentility.

"Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?"
  29. WBD

And boom goes the dynamite.
  30. Yeah, every time I've been to GBX, those guys have been awesome.
  31. I'm a Masshole and I love them.
  32. HarryHood

HarryHood Aficionado (195) Ohio Dec 10, 2012

My experience of the dudes in Charlseton was not good. They were rude and seemed annoyed by the fact that I had questions and wanted a growler. That was my one experience but my buddy that lived down there said they were usually like that.
  33. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

We're direct and to the point, and you people can't seem to grasp that concept and assume we're rude. My years in NC proved to me that "y'all" are far more inconsiderate... You just veil it in excessive pleases and thank you's. And I got plenty of attitude in the South from people who happened to see my license plate or Patriots hat before I even spoke word one to them.
    That being said, my direct and to the point yankee ass got along pretty damn well with the folks at both beer exchanges, so yeah, maybe those two guys were just assholes ;)
    beertunes likes this.
  34. I've ordered from them several times. Never had anything less than a great experience.
  35. On behalf of the people in the Northeast,
    "Fuck you very much!"
  36. Do they ship to MA? What if I bribe them with candy?
  37. Headed to Folly Beach end may. I'll definitely visit and report back
  38. I've ordered from them to have beer shipped to Oregon and was very happy. I don't know if they still do this, but I was able to order counter-pressure filled 22s of some interesting stuff they had on tap like Allagash Bourbon Barrel Black.
  39. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I loved that bottle shop! I wandered in there while on vacation a year ago last September. I was just getting into craft and the guys working there couldn't have been more helpful. They took the time to help me find some beers for me to take home as presents and some for my own stock. I think like all places, your experience depends on who you get that day and a bit on how you respond to them.
  40. Yeah everyone has off days. I will say the one time I was in there and asked for a recommendation they did point me to a pretty damn expensive bottle, but it was very unique (which is what I asked for) and my lovely girlfriend was making the purchase for me so I didnt care too much haha. They do run a business, but I dont think theyd misguide someone just to upsell the customer.