1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Charleston, SC Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by brianzehner, Jan 7, 2013.

1. A few of us have decided to get together for a beer tasting on Friday the 25th at 7pm. Anyone interested is welcome to join in. Let me know if you think you are going to come over and what you you think you might bring. The location is:

4626 Ashley View Lane
    Charleston, SC 29405

This tasting will be a great warm-up to the annual pre-brewvival tasting. Hopefully it will blow it away since we try and use a bit of control before brewvival so we actually enjoy the festival. No need to hold back this time!
  2. raverjames

raverjames Savant (475) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

Let's do this!
  3. I might just come to this!
  4. raverjames

Chubbourbon time?
  5. I'll be there. I'm gonna drink a few beers tonight to warm up for it. So my beers tonight will be the warmup for the warmup for the warmup the night before brewvival.
  6. raverjames

Pretty dead in here.
  7. I work early Sat morning, going to have to pass on this one.
  8. Wouldn't miss it Brian! Look forward to seeing you freaks again ;)
  9. Looking forward to having you over again. I think it's going to be a great time.
  10. Really lookin forward to this. I've been on a trading binge lately, I have four or five trades coming in between now and your tasting. First one arrived today.

[​IMG]

This is the most boring one. I should have some great stuff to bring. Hopefully we can get a good turn out.
  11. Working hard on reeling me in I see...
  12. Brian, you got a couch with my name on it? :D
  13. Friend of kkipple here. I may join y'all.
  14. It's sorta sad that you try to put together a fun tasting in Charleston, and you get more interest from Cola folks than Chas folks. Don't take that the wrong way Cola people, happy to have you. It just seems like its a lot harder then it used to be around here to get people together to drink beer. Which seems weird to me because the beer scene in general (number of breweries, beer bars, growler stations, beer fests, growth of craft beer nationally, etc, etc) have continued to improve. Any given week you can go to any of the local breweries and find dozens of people paying money to stand around and drink four 4 ounce samples of beer, most of it stuff they could also get on tap all around town. (And that's fine, I do it too) But try and get folks to get together to drink a huge variety of free beer, many that are rare, not available around here, highly rated, whatever, and do so in the company of a like minded craft beer appreciative crowd, and it's like pulling teeth. You would think people would be all over this kingd of thing. Weird.
    kkipple likes this.
  15. I'm 95% sure I'll be able to attend...just trying to get out of a prior engagement. Didn't want to post up my definite answer until I was positive one way or another, but I'm really hoping I can cancel on this other obligation (or have my wife can attend in our place...LOL). Would be nice to finally hang with some locals in a little more personable manner...some of which I've probably run into at various points throughout the Charleston scene. I should know for certain by the end of this weekend.

16. Brian and I were just talking about this the other day. It's not JUST your city, although I share your surprise. A few years ago we had some EPIC tastings (the Summerville Farringdon's one comes to mind) and even in Columbia we had ones with 15- 25 people. Now getting 8 people together is a logistical feat.
    I don't know all the reasons behind this, but I blame my for peers having babies. :mad:
  17. No babies for me!
  18. I plan on being there.
  19. I may be able to make an appearance. I've picked up some bullets in a couple of trades recently. A Guava Grove (wierd, because I brought one of those last time I showed up) and maybe a couple others from some incoming trades.
  20. Hell if it wasn't a 6 hr round trip I'd come down from Charlotte. Oh well see you all at Brewvival
    kkipple likes this.
  21. I would be in for this but I'm driving down from the Upstate the morning of... See you guys at the festival.
  22. Don't want there to be any confusion since there are two tasting threads. This one is for the January 25th tasting at my place. The other is about pre-Brewvival tastings (on February 22nd). I've had a tasting the night before at my place every year at are planning to do the same this year.
  23. Ah ha! Thanks for the clarification on that. Twas confused. However, I will be in Raleigh that weekend for the Raleigh Rare & Vintage Tasting event. Cheers!
  24. Clearly an apostate. He needs to be stoned (with the rocks and boulders kind).
  25. Seeing as a good number of the Charleston BA members are posting/following this thread...

Anyone interested in getting in on an order for GI Matilda Glasses (Silver Goose)? If so, send me a BM within the next couple of hours and I'll go over the details (which are outstanding).
  26. Just throwing this out there one last time before the order ships this morning...

If anyone is interested in picking up a GI Silver Goose glass, please send me a BM sometime before 11am this morning and I'll go over the details (best price I've ever come across...including buying one from the brewpubs in Chi-town). Currently, I have zero available from what I've purchased thus far but am willing to contact the store and have them add the last four they have remaining to my order (if there's interest).
  27. C'mon guys... you know you want one....
  28. Two more boxes on the porch today. Pretty, so pretty.

[​IMG]
  29. Blech, Zombie Dust. Do we have to? :D
    rnorgart likes this.
  30. I would looooove to, but that's my birthday, and the wife has plans.
    You're a helluva nice guy, Brian, for doing this.

*for a wuffie ;-)
  31. St. Bernardus willing, I'll have some growlers from the brand-new Columbia brewery, Conquest, made by our own BA Khaismus (Joe Ackerman). As well as the usual weird assortment of goodies.
  32. Can't wait to try Sacred Heart!!!
  33. Got the last two boxes in the mail today.

SWEET BABY JESUS!!!!

[​IMG]

And this.

[​IMG]
    kkipple likes this.
  34. Hot diggity hop bracts. Been wanting to try NG Serendipity for a while!
  35. Wait. How did you get the NG? Do you trade with someone or is it from a store??? I LOVED the NG Cherry that was at Zehner's pre-Brewvival last year, and would love to get ahold of more than 3 fingers' worth!
  36. If I could get it at a store, it wouldn't say "got in box in the mail today".

It was a trade. Easy to trade for though. It's off the shelf in WI. You could offer up some wake n bake, Coast stuff, Westbrook, etc and get all the NG you want.
  37. Thanks

I didn't mean "a store" to be somewhre around here, but was inferring an on-line store such as Let's Pour, etc. Cause online sellers send stuff in boxes, too. Through the mail.
    FutureCowboy likes this.
  38. raverjames

Any special requests or a theme?
  39. Had a couple packages come in today...just wanted to see if anyone was interested in anything from these (Abraxas is already set aide to attend Friday night...however, the BT is not mine to open)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, a beautiful flock of geese arrived on my doorsteps yesterday (Dan, I'll bring yours with me on Friday and depending on whether Scott and/or Rich @ CBX decline theirs, I might have one or two extra available)...

[​IMG]
    kkipple likes this.
  40. Mmm... Zhukov's...

I have a wild n wooly lot, including a Hopping Frog BA Naked Evil, a St. Arnold Pumpkinator (its good... really...), a WWBO and some other things including a DL if I can dig it up outta the stash... maybe a Beatification if there is any interest... or some BA SC? I dunno, you tell me.

Anyone out there NOT had Westy 12 yet?