1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Charleston, SC - Sources for Kegs and C02 Refills?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by kudzu, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Finally getting around to draught beer at home. Any suggestions for best places to buy kegs and get C02 refills would be appreciated.

This is the first time in a long time that I have browsed the South-Atlantic forum - great resource! I have learned a lot about the Charleston area on this forum and Charleston is my home.
  2. I would guess Total wine/Bottles for the kegs.

I get my co2 from airgas on dorchester, but apparently there's a place right off montague, maybe a few miles closer, next to the fox tv station.
  3. Thanks! Yeah, Total Wine was what I was thinking for kegs unless somebody had a better idea.

I did not have clue on the C02 except the Yellow Pages. Does Airgas fill your tank or exchange?
  4. I have 2 5#ers so I never really pay attention, but I would say exchange. Don't quote me on that.
  5. Thanks! It really does not matter. I was just hoping I would not have to exchange a shiny new tank for a grubby, beat up old tank.
  6. I've never had any problems with the ones I've gotten from them. I just looked and one had someones name in marker on it, so they do exchange (at least the small ones).
  7. I had heard that most places would only do it that way.
  8. Pye Barker on Leeds ave fills co2 tanks. Gotten a lot filled from there.
  9. I've used Airgas a lot and you may have to let go of your shiny cylinder; gas is gas. It's $15-20 to refill a 20#tank Are you looking for homebrew (corny) kegs or shells?
  10. Thanks! That is relatively close to me and while I would go either way, I like the idea of refilling my tank versus exchanging. Of course, as NotACommunist (great screen name) says, gas is gas.