1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cheapest beer states....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nickapalooza86, Apr 20, 2012.

1. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Member

So recently I have noticed in a lot of threads that it seems just about everyone pays more for out of state craft and locals by quite a bit then us here in WI. I know MN does, being right on the border I get price shock every time I go and grab some Surly. So my question is what other states have real decent prices on craft? With all these price check threads poppin up I am usually pretty happy to be at the bottom of the barrel...
  2. gQQgsJr

gQQgsJr Member

Well i live in pittsburgh right now. prices in PA are probably average to maybe a little high but selection is great. I used to live in NH and prices were wayyyyyy lower but selection was just good.
  3. diesel59

diesel59 Member

I know this is not the right answer....but I drive a dodge diesel pickup and never look at the price of fuel.........because, when i need it, i need it................... i do the same with beer...... do i like it? no........... can i control it no.......do i work harder to get what i want? YES.................
    jbck109 likes this.
  4. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

I'm a Wisconsinite too. However, visiting St. Louis, they got us licked for cheap and fairly good beer too (still vote WI for better beer thou).
  5. SmellsLikePoor

SmellsLikePoor Member

WV actually has great prices despite having a pretty terrible selection. I just recently purchased Rochefort 10 and Westmalle for $5 and $4.50 respectively. It's not uncommon to find Bigfoot six packs for $10 or less and Chimay bombers for $8. I think a lot of it has to do that most places here simply do not realize what they're selling. Bars are a different story however. Most of the bars here that carry craft beer think they're selling rare and premium beer. For instance, a bottle of Gulden Draak can run near $10. I can remember having it on draft at Eulogy in Philly for only $5.
  6. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Member

Having so much great local beer in CO is awesome. $8 for a sixer of Dales, or $12 for a four pack of Deviant. $12 for a four pack of ten Fidy. Yeti and variant bombers for $8-$9. $8 for a sixer of Odell IPA or Cutthroat. Delicious Dry Dock bombers for $7.

Plus most of the Deschutes at my local shop is $8 a sixer. $7 for a bomber of Double Jack. $9 for a sixer of velvet Merlin.
  7. dbol

dbol Member

moving to missouri a few years ago from pennsylvania has certainly made things easier on my wallet
  8. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

I've only really gone to 1 store in FL, but they had killer prices: $8 oak-aged yet, $6 old ruffian, and IIRC $1.69 for singles of stuff like Ommegang Hennepin and Rare Vos.

So, maybe just an awesome store, but maybe FL has good prices?
  9. jk3

jk3 Member

NYC is brutal when it comes to prices. You can save some in the suburbs, but still not as cheap as other states. Craft beer is an expensive hobby in NY
  10. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

I gotta move out to CO
  11. BigCheese

BigCheese Member

NYC is the worst ever. MA (my home state) isnt good with excise tax. NH and Cali are the best prices I've experienced first hand. (In retail shops that is). Though NH distrubtion/selection is mediocre at best.
  12. fritts211

fritts211 Member

Saudi Arabia... wait I think I misunderstood the question...
  13. EricCioe

EricCioe Member

In Montana

$6-7 for Deschutes, Big Sky, and Sierra Nevada 6 packs
    $6-7 Alaskan Smoked Porter and Barleywine bombers
    $5-6 Stone bombers, including Double Bastard and hopefully IRS
    Abyss got as low as $9.29 at my honey hole, but generally $11-12
    Pints are usually $4 in bars, but occasionally $0.50 more or less

This is such a welcome change from Chicago, where FFF, Bell's, and Founders six packs are $11, and most bombers are $8-11

The one brewery that has identical prices in Chicago and Missoula MT is North Coast. Rasputin was a steal in Chicago, not so much here.
  14. nrs207

nrs207 Member

PA is nice and high, at least in the Lehigh Valley. That $5 Rochefort 10 would be $9 where I typically shop. There's a reason I've only ever bought one bottle. Nothing sticks out as being cheap to me around here when compared to what I see others posting all the time.
  15. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Member

DC is pretty pricey, but Montgomery County MD (directly to the north) is completely insane. For reasonable prices you have to cross the border south into VA - prices there are mostly reasonable, but lately independent craft shops have been marking up to DC prices. These days if I want something that is not a super small release I got to Total Wine. La Folie for 9$ there, 15-22 everywhere else.
  16. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Member

Generally, St. Mary's County, MD (southeast of DC) is pretty bad when it comes to craft beer prices, but not terrible. Here's a sample from an unnamed store about 4 miles from where I live:

$15.99 for a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Burton Baton.
    $15.99 for a bottle of New Belgium La Folie.
    $9.99 for a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA.
    $10.29 for a 22 oz. bottle of St. Martin's Brune (look it up).

Another store I go to in the area (that I like far more, for the record) is fairly reasonable for prices, mostly:

$11.99 for a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.
    $6.99 for a small bottle of Rochefort 10.
    $12.99 for a 22 oz. bottle of Chimay Blue.
    $16.99 for a bottle of Ommegang Seduction (the worst priced beer they have in the store)
    $6.99 for a bottle of Stone Old Guardian.
    $3.99 for a 18.7 oz. bottle of Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.

But still, Virginia has Maryland's number.
  17. Rekrule

Rekrule Member

18. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

Hmm, do you think it's a coincidence that Missouri (Bud), Wisconsin (Miller), and Colorado (Coors) have some of the cheapest beer prices in the nation?
  19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Member

Having moved to NYC from NC I don't think the prices are really that bad - you can find stuff at good prices both at bottle shops and in bars as long as you take the effort to look. On the other hand, the selection in the greater NYC area is great.