Check my work, Portlanders?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by DrAwkward82, Apr 19, 2012.

1. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (315) California Apr 16, 2005

Hey there,

I'm heading out for a PDX visit the 24th-27th and am looking to make the most of my time beerwise. I'm fastidious in nothing if not beer planning and I have been to Portland before, so I've definitely done my homework.

BUT I do always find it helpful to query locals before a beercation as you're all much more in the loop and can tell me if there's any events/special tappings worth knowing about, any bars or breweries have recently gotten better, closures I may not know about, etc.

So with that in mind, the places that I'm hoping to hit that I've been to before and enjoyed: Belmont Station, Bailey's, Horse Brass, Deschutes, Concordia, New Old Lompoc, HUB, and maybe Amnesia, Kennedy School and Laurelwood.

Places I haven't been before that I'm eager to visit for the first time: Cascade Barrel House (can't believe I haven't been there already!), Apex, Beermongers, Fifth Quadrant, Hair of the Dog, maybe Full Sail.

Anything that I may be leaving off jump out at you? Or anything I have listed that's not particularly worth a stop?

Last question - is it worth visiting Upright Brewing if I haven't been a big fan of their bottled number series (haven't hated any, just never been blown away by any of their saisons). The taproom itself looks like a fun place. . .

Thanks for all your help!

2. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (645) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Upright, Upright, Upright!!!
    It's a really cool place and some of their beers that are tap only, such as the Pilsner, are outstanding!

If you like Bourbon check out whiskey soda too.

3. bfg75

bfg75 Savant (280) Washington Feb 26, 2011 Verified

I'd add Breakside Brewing and Burnside Brewing to the list.

4. Mahlik

Mahlik Savant (255) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

Upright is absolutely worth going to. And I agree with Breakside.

5. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (520) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Breakside has some amazing beer...don't miss it. Burnside still has a ways to go. I like two beers that Upright brews...the Four and the Pils. If you are into those, they're worth having on tap. Their taproom/brewery is cool to see.

If all you hit was Cascade and Hair of the Dog you'd probably leave more than satisfied. They're pretty top notch spots. Deschutes generally has some one offs on tap but can get crowded. If that's your thing...they do brew great beer.

6. guajolote

guajolote Savant (445) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I will third Upright & Breakside. Breakside is one of the more under-the-radar places in Portland and is doing some really interesting stuff. Rather than hitting Fifth Quadrant, you might want to check out the Lompoc Sidebar, which is right around the corner. They always have interesting one-off & barrel-aged stuff on tap. In other Lompoc-related news, New Old Lompoc will be in their closing week during your stay, so they might have some interesting stuff going on there.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't tell you to seek out any Boneyard beers you can find while in town, particularly their IPAs, and even more particularly, Hop Venom.

7. DrAwkward:
    Since you like(d) New Old Lompoc (NW 23rd), I agree this is a good time to make one last visit...
    Lompocalypse - http://oregonbeer.org/2012/03/29/lompocalypse/

8. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (315) California Apr 16, 2005

Awesome, thanks for all the great info everyone. Breakside has been added to the list for sure. Glad I can hit the 23rd New Old Lompoc one last time too.

The only drag is that after all the wholehearted endorsements of Upright, it looks like their open hours won't include any days I'm in town. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I'll have my hands full already. . .

9. Fifth quadrant is a better place than the one on 23rd. IMO. You also have the side bar and HUB right next door so you could hit all at one time. Amnesia is good but take more time and hit Cascade and HOTD since you haven't been there. Make sure you hit Apex and Beermongers since they are so close. I would skip Upright and Breakside unless you can find the time.

10. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Savant (435) Washington Oct 15, 2008 Verified

Looks like you probably can't go, but The Commons would be my recommendation for anyone coming to Portland. Bad part is that it is only open on Friday and Saturday nights...

11. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I'm with ya... Every time someone posts that they are visiting PDX I want to recommend The Commons, but their hours can be restricting. Oh well, that's what happens with a small operation. Honestly... If given the choice, I would easily recommend The Commons tasting room over Upright. Plus it is closer to Cascade, Hair of the Dog, The BeerMongers, and Apex.