1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cherry Rye: drink fresh or cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by erik_c, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I picked up a Cherry Rye this afternoon. My only one for the year. So, what do I do with it? Drink it now or cellar it for a year? Thoughts?

2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Drink it now.

3. It's beer. Drink it.

4. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Just picked up this and coffee- which one should I drink tonite? Never had either. Had Vanilla and Regular though.

5. Drink Now with some others no need to wait

Steimie likes this.
  6. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

If you only have one, drink now! I have a rule of not cellaring any beer that I don't have at least 2 of.

7. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Don't drink it. Ever.

8. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

The cherry flavor will probably fall to the background with time, I would drink it.

9. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I drank one around Christmas and it was amazing. If it ages similar to regular BCBS then it will only get better. I have a couple left and will try one in a year and then another a year or so after. IMO this is one of the best BCBS variants. Wish they would have made more.

10. dogfishandi

dogfishandi Savant (455) New York Jan 24, 2009

Drink it now. However, drink the coffee first if u have both.

11. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Can't go wrong with either one. Good problem to have :)

12. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Just trade it away for a bunch of other beer/services.

domtronzero and FUNKPhD like this.
  13. I hear that if you age beer long enough, since carbon 14 is very common in organic material, it will in time turn to diamonds, assuming enough bottle pressure of course . . . better get a snickers bar; you're going to be here for awhile.

Just kidding drink it!!! Cherry flavors tend to fade.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  14. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Always drink fresh first. I have some others and I put some in the fridge to hold out as long as possible, and some in the "wine cellar" to see what that does.

15. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

What do you hope to gain by waiting? Drink your beer

FUNKPhD likes this.
  16. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

True if only 1 bottle. With multiples, I don't wait necessarily because I think it's going to be "more awesomer", I stockpile so I have it at my whim throughout the year =)

BearsBrotsBulls and FUNKPhD like this.
  17. Fresh (as in a month after bottling) was mind blowing...I'm glad I have one to "age," but I would absolutely recommend consuming that badboy now.

18. This is exactly right! People dont hoard your bottles drink your CR BCBS or trade them to someone who wants to drink it! Cherry Flavor will go bye bye fast, plain and simple.

egrace84 likes this.
  19. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

it's easy to respond, "drink it now", "if you only have one, why are you cellaring", but if cherry rye progresses as bramble did (which i really enjoyed), then i'd say a year on the bottle will improve the beer. but, it's a different beer than bramble so age at your own risk.

20. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

Bramble is better now, than it was then in my opinion. The fruits have held up stronger than I expected and are very much present still. After having the Cherry for the first time last night, I think that this one will hold up just like Bramble.

21. You say fall.. I say meld!

VonZipper likes this.
  22. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Bramble sucked fresh. I got good with 6months on it. Good thing I had a good beer geek friend who shared the older bramble with me. It really sucked fresh

23. Yoitsluke

Yoitsluke Disciple (70) New Jersey Mar 29, 2012

i drank mine, the cherry flavor will most likely fade