1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cherry Rye for RR Sours

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by BobCobb, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (355) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Non-BA friend asked me to set up a trade for his Cherry Rye. He's looking for Pliny, Supplication and Temptation - probably just 1 of each. I'm not a sours fan at all so I don't really follow the latter two. Assuming $4$ is met with good shelf beers, is this legitimate?

Thanks.

2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Those beers are fairly easy to find. You would get swamped with messages rather quickly.

If he's really interested in them, I suggest going after a batch 4 Temptation. Really stunning beer right now.

cosmicevan and SpdKilz like this.
  3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

You can probably just order them online fairly easy, and he won't have to give up his Cherry Rye. Just sayin

chardlogic likes this.
  4. Your inbox will be full really quick. That said. If he asks for 1 of each it comes out to roughly $30.

5. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Batch 004 Temptation came out four years ago and anyone who still has one isn't dumb enough to give it up for a Cherry Rye, c'mon man.

nicks6217 likes this.
  6. ArrogantB

I drank one three weeks ago from the case I bought in 09 and its held up well but its really not stunning, that beer peaked in the summer of 2010.

7. lurchingbeast

I must have really lucked out the 3 times I've landed a b4 in 2012 alone. Traded less than Cherry Rye.

Everything from CA peaked in 2010, according to Californians. I disagree with your assessment.

8. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Wow. To think I was considering getting into trading.... I don't think I want to anymore.

9. lurchingbeast

Why?

10. Azrael

I don't think my old beer (like Temptation '04) would land anything good.

11. lurchingbeast

To put it in perspective, I bought 2 batch 4's while in SF in August. I bought 2 Cherry Ryes while living every day in Chicagoland. I think it is a fair trade straight up.

12. ArrogantB

But I'm not from California..Its fine if you disagree but did you actually drink one in the summer of 2010? Better yet have you been drinking down a case steadily since release because I have.

13. ArrogantB

It's just the typical Midwest vs California rivalry.

14. Azrael

Were they still on shelves or was it a cellar sale? I didn't realize you could buy them at any time in SF. I thought they were gone from shelves for a few years. My mistake.

15. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

No, you had it right. It was a cellar sale at the T25 release with a limited number of bottles. They ran out before I got any.

My advice to you is not to get into trading.

Azrael likes this.
  16. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Here comes themind with an offer in 5...4...3...2....

^^Just expect to have to go over $4$ ;)

17. It's near impossible for him to get a case of Supplication. So 1:1 sounds right

Plus it's aged 15 months in Pinot Noir barrels! Yum!

7clutch likes this.
  18. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Coincidentally I have had around 10 bottles of B4 since it's release and I for one still think it is drinking amazing (having opened one less than a month ago). I have always preferred Temptation with some age on it though. Different palates I suppose :)

19. ArrogantB

And this is why I dislike most traders. A four year old vintage beer being sold in one city at one bar for one day in limited quantities is pretty much a shelf beer just like the beer that was just released to multiple stores in multiple states. I guess anything Bottleworks releases is a shelf beer too. FT: Cherry Rye ISO: Deviation or NB Bottleworks 10.

20. ArrogantB

It is indeed still good but my experience with numerous batches of Temptation tells me it peaks at one year.

21. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

No rivalry, we are worlds better! ;)

ArrogantB likes this.
  22. lurchingbeast

Purely from memory I'd say I've had 8-9 bottles of batch 4 since late '09. It was the only batch readily available when I was really getting into sours. It quickly became my favorite RR sour. I've sampled from 4 bottles in the last 9ish months. I do think it is just past it's peak but an absolutely phenominal beer and still the best batch of Temptation as of this moment. Personal preference of course. Coincidentally, I just very recently had a batch 3 that was unremarkable in every way. Part of me thinks batch differences. Part of me thinks the large format of batch 4 really helped this one age gracefully.

I'm heartbroken.
    I must have missed the time when Deviation and BW10 were brewed in multiple batches every year. Or when you could easily drive up to the brewery (or many of your finer beer stores) and pick up a case. Simply being an old, readily available sour doesn't mean it's impossible to trade for. Temptation is also released in multiple stores in multiple states. Good luck trading fresh Temptation for Cherry Rye, I guess.

ArrogantB likes this.