[CHI] Haymarket Port Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout - 12.18.12

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by stephenieman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Per Haymarket's (Twot)ter:
    RT @haymarketbeer: It's so tasty. #angelsenvy port barrel bourbon barrel imperial stout! See u on the 18th!

2. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

So it's aged in a port barrel, and then again in a bourbon barrel? Or are they blending the two? Sounds tasty none-the-less, Clare was fantastic and if this is anything like her, we're in for a real treat!

UnderJoath likes this.
  3. I believe it's aged in a port barrel that previously held whiskey

dvelcich likes this.
  4. Well, Angel's Envy is in and of itself a bourbon that is finished in port barrels.

So.. from a batch of Angel's Envy, you get two barrels. One the oak barrel it sits in for several years to condition, just like any other whiskey.. and one that's a port cask that they finish it in.

They had the actual Port version (Well, a version of Indignant aged in the port barrels after they finished a batch of the Bourbon) available at the brewpub recently (had it at the FoBAB Brewers and Sponsors Dinner).. and I think at FoBAB (Though they called it Acrimonious there.. which is not true unless they are re-using names that are already unique beers.. something they did with another beer recently.. Acrimonious is the base stout with no barrel treatment).. I'm not sure if they also have barrels of the the straight Bourbon resting there either.

I'll see if I can get them to clarify it a bit.

5. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Ahh, I never new what Angel's Envy was, always confused it with Angel's Share, etc. That sounds very interesting!

6. I was underwhelmed with Haymarket's offering in the past but lately, they've been killing it. So many great things happening in Chicago's beer scene lately.

gpawned and pschul4 like this.
  7. any idea of what time it goes on sale the 18th? im dipping town late afternoon and want to grab some before i leave for the holiday

8. They tap their beers at a variety of times. Usually, more regular offerings go on at or near open. Sometimes they aren't ready till later though. Often, special beers go on at a specific time.. usually at a special tapping in the evening or dinner hours..
    But, it's all speculation until they let you know.

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

hope there's stilll some left on wednesday - gonna be at maude's liquor bar for dinner with the wife and then possibly hitting haymarket afterward.

10. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

I see a $36 growler in my future(if they are doing them)

ravot and ChefBergo like this.
  11. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

In the past, I haven't been denied a growler of barrel aged brews.

12. TotallyHosed

If anyone wants to try three different Haymarket barrel aged brews, go to Jerry's in Andersonville. Yesterday they had Acrimonious, Nina (Templeton Rye aged Quad) and Woodford Reserve Indignant. I'm willing to bet they still have all three today.

Oh, the Acrimonious...it's Angel's Envy Indignant. I had the Acrimonious and Nina yesterday. Both are fantastic!

13. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

They are!

14. But Acrimonious is also (And originally) the name for the base stout they add to barrels to create Indignant versions.

They aren't doing themselves any favors by re-using that name for another beer.. especially as confusing a one as a barrel aged version of it.

15. TotallyHosed

Damn. I had the base beer, but don't recall it being called Acrimonious. Good to know (or remember).

16. Does anyone know if they fill 1L growlers?

17. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

The growlered Indignant in August

18. They probably would. They do everything on flat per-ounce pricing, so I'd think they could price out a 1L growler too.

19. rhoadsrage

rhoadsrage Advocate (685) Illinois Jun 23, 2004

Angel's Envy was way to sweet for my taste, but it might work well with a dry stout to cut some of the sweetness. It will be interesting to taste.

20. Yall gotta get on the Twotter:

Haymarket Brewing@HaymarketPub
    we have the cutest little growlers that will be available 12/18 as well http://ow.ly/i/1eX1l

CityofBals likes this.
  21. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Savant (465) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

OK some details about the tapping. This will be happening next Tuesday (Dec 18th) at 6pm. The first hour will be Local 737 Members Only, but at 7pm it will be available for everyone. The owner and distiller for Angel's Envy will be there as well. $5 gets you a 4 oz pour of Acrimonious and a half shot of Angel's Envy. Don't miss it.

22. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Confused about the name since Acrimonious is the base beer for Indignant, but his beer was really tasty. The port barrel really enhances the dark fruit, and it is incredibly smooth and creamy. Loved it and got an Angels Envy "Crowler" too. Another fantastic beer from Pete!

23. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

any crowler left overs?

24. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Janna told me they had 65 of them. I was there for an hour and a half and prolly saw 15-20 poured...

25. ravot

might have to do a pit stop after work then.

26. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

Is this still available??

27. about haymarket in general...if you stop in on any given day, are there generally one or more barrel aged options to try?

28. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

Still available at bar and growlers, drinking great!

29. TotallyHosed

Short answer, "no." I say this because the barrel aged options don't last more than a few days, so odds are there won't be a BA option on any given day. However, there will be more barrel aged opportunities in the future. The plan is to set aside a portion of each high ABV brew for barrel aging.

30. tinypyramids

good to hear - hoping to get one on the way to (or back from) dinner at maude's.

31. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

Maude's old fashioneds sounds great right now

32. ravot

what do the crowlers go for?

33. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

I brought my own (32 oz.) growler and it cost me $18. I don't think there was a different pricing structure in place if you didn't bring your own, but I could be wrong.

34. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

if that wasn't a typo, i am amused.

35. ravot

was referring to this :cool:

36. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Still pouring as of now.

37. tinypyramids

Yup. It's delicious so I walked out with a growler.

38. Worth all $23 for the 32oz growler.....aamaaazzziioonnnggg

CityofBals likes this.
  39. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

Hope its there friday. I would go tomorrow but there is supposed to be a big storm.