1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

[CHI] Haymarket Port Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout - 12.18.12

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by stephenieman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Worth the trek!
  2. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

left work late, avoiding some traffic and was giong to head over when i saw the tweet from clybourn. honey b it was! glad i got there, it sold out in 40 minutes.
  3. You could get there on Metra, as long as you're on one of the lines that goes to Ogilvie or Union, it's walkable from those stations. If your train goes to LaSalle or the Randolph/Millennium station, not so much.
  4. This is much better than it was at FoBAB and the Brewers and Sponsors Dinner the night before.

I think they want this particular offering called Barrel Aged Acrimonious, it seems.
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  5. MC6

MC6 Aficionado (140) Illinois Dec 12, 2008

Barrel Aged Acrimonious was still pouring as of Wednesday night at 8pm. Good stuff!
  6. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

This is one reason why I absolutely love the things that Pete and his team are doing, particularly with the 'special' offerings.

Great beer, reasonable prices, and it stays on tap for an extended period of time.
  7. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

Is it running today? Ik midway is closed for the storm.
  8. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Anyone have an update if this is still on?
  9. nharres

nharres Savant (270) Illinois Feb 8, 2012

Was still on as of about 1:00pm. Really good stuff.
  10. Mjmoser

For those worried, I was told they had 6 barrels. Now they prolly won tap them all sequentially, but I wouldn't be too crazy concerned about it tapping out before the weekend (I hope!).
    StoutLover4life likes this.
  11. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

I need more mule friends around Chicago. Or maybe just friends in general.
    StoutLover4life likes this.
  12. Rizdac

Rizdac Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 5, 2010

Still on as of 5 PM.
    Bay01 likes this.
  13. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

so delicious, so amazingly good..I didn't want to but I had to, HAD TO! get a growler to go.. excellent.
  14. C2H5

Someone please add "Angels Envy Bourbon Barrel Aged Acrimonious" to Haymarket's beer list, I would but I dont have 20 reviews
  15. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Angel's Envy Port Barrel Aged Indignant Imperial Stout

Don't know why they were calling it Acrimonious at the brewpub. It seems that's their base stout before it goes into any type of barrel, at which point it becomes Indignant.

If someone were going to change something, I'd change the name of the beer listed as Indignant to Woodford Reserve Barrel Aged Indignant, but I'm lazy.
  16. C2H5

yeah, ok..wierd, its on their menu as barrel aged acrimonious.
    whatever its called, its good.
  17. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I've seen it as both on their menus. It was Acrimonious at FoBAB and at Jerry's Sandwiches, but the Haymarket website called it Indignant so I went with that.
  18. BrianBo

BrianBo Aficionado (125) Illinois Feb 2, 2012

Stopped by for a 2nd Anniversary visit last night on Xmas Eve. This is still pouring and tasting better than ever. This may be Pete's best work yet.
  19. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I had a 4oz of it during a flight just before Christmas and it was amazing. I wasn't overly fond of most of Haymarket's offerings last year, but this year's are exceptional. They just seem richer and better balanced recently.

Also, if you follow them on facebook, they announce what they're tapping on at least a weekly basis. If you're waiting for a certain release, it might be worth adding to your news feed.
    SWChi and dvelcich like this.
  20. And... It's still pouring. Very glad about that, too, since the holidays kept me pretty busy. While I object to the concept of Angel's Envy whiskey on principle, this beer is solid. It's the kind of beer that begs to be bottled and shared across the country. Some booze, tons of malt, strong berry notes, solid body and lingering finish... It really presses all of my buttons. Absolute homerun from Haymarket.
  21. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Had the opportunity to try this one out right before Christmas and I was really surprised by how good it was. Big booze and dark fruit with some vanilla/coconut/barrel notes.

Thinking about taking my CC swingtop up there to see if they'll fill it up.
    eorwar likes this.
  22. Mjmoser

Sure will....
  23. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Awesome. The pour I got was out of a CC swingtop, but I thought I remembered something about IL breweries only being able to fill their own growlers or something. Figured the guy knew someone important...

Anyway...hooray!
    eorwar and Mjmoser like this.
  24. Mjmoser

Haymarket will fill anyone's growler. Although I am curious if they will fill my 500 ml swing top.....
  25. OPSippin

OPSippin Aficionado (135) Illinois Sep 18, 2012

Had a growler last night. Everyone loved it.
  26. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Coming up on Wednesday; will this still be avaliable? Also, does this place have good food?
  27. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Certainly nothing to write home about.

Its bar food, and not world class bar food, though better than some.

I would highly suggest eating at Nellcote before.......Its literally a block away from Haymarket and offers some of the best food in Chicago.
    Nellcote is the only place in the nation that MILLS their own 000 flour IN HOUSE for their pizzas and pasta.
    Their pizzas are AMAZING and their spaghetti with homemade noodles might be one of the best things I've ever tasted.
    Chicago has the best dining scene in the U.S. and perhaps even the world.
    C2H5 likes this.
  28. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

The food isn't that bad. Pretty much what you might expect. Basic burgers and sandwiches. But it's a comfortable place to spend an evening & they have a pretty decent guest brewery list (which can be ordered in the 4 oz tasting so you get the opportunity to try all sorts of non local craft on tap.). I appreciate the valet parking as well. Leaving a place every 2 hours to feed the meter gets old really fast.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  29. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i just wish half the falafel vendors in NYC would come to Chicago. then that'd be game. blouses.
    MC6 likes this.
  30. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

serving everything in 4oz pours at no price penalty against the full size pours is my fave part about haymarket, imo. they do some really great beers too (acrimonious especially). my experience with the food has generally been good but i haven't had anything mindblowing.
  31. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Had a glass of this last night........

While I was already HEAVILY intoxicated, due to Baudonia, I was not impressed......It was good but not mindblowing.

Not heavy enough, IMHO.
  32. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

I'm heading there tonight...how much was a growler of acrimonious?
  33. Mjmoser

$18/$36 with out glass. $23/41 if you need a growler.....
  34. 0zzzie19

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what does the first sentence mean? I have an empty growler
  35. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

$18 32oz/$36 64oz if you have an empty growler
  36. Mjmoser

If you bring a growler, $18 for 32oz or $36 for 64 oz.....
  37. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Might be too late to warn you, but they told me last Friday they weren't filling growlers anymore.
  38. 0zzzie19

I skipped asking for a growler...I had 24 oz, that was my fill. I liked it, but not enough to drop the coin and have to drink it in 48 hrs (and ill probably be back Saturday). It was very interesting though, the port (to me the opposite of dry) imparted a dryness that was unique and worked. The base had a great creamy mouth feel. Overall very well balanced and layered and hid the ABV. Compliments to Pete.