1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chicago BA in Denver...trades, Abyss, Odell's

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Flabbyjandro, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Member

Fellow BA's, I'm in Denver for work on thur-fri and then off to the slopes til Sunday. I'm wondering if Abyss is out anywhere or if I'm a week or two early? Dissident still around?

Secondly, is Odell's Myrcenary still available because lady time I was there I had it and it blew me away so would like a little to come home with.

Third, yes I'm needy, any good barrel aged goodies in the Denver area I can get...got a rental car and a few hours to kill Friday.

And lastly, anyone want to trade with a Chicago BA in person? Check my profile, cellar is up to date so BM me. I can also get any locals you may need and BCS variants aren't out til 23rd. Let me know, but make it sooner than later, I'm in a plane in the late afternoon.

Thanks in advance BA's if you wish to share some knowledge.
  2. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

Unless you really meant "lady time" (which would be awesome if you did), that's immediately in my top 5 all-time autocorrect mistakes.

Sorry, I can't help you out with the things above, but damn that post was awesome. Welcome to Denver, pack your toking shoes.
  3. Kuester

Kuester Member

Myrcenary is year round, should have no problem
  4. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

Anything you're looking for?
  5. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Member

Abyss and dissident are at the top of the list
  6. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

Dissident is gone and Abyss isn't out for a couple more weeks.
  7. denver10

denver10 Member

If you have time to kill I'd make the trek to find some of Epic's Big Bad Baptist. Doesn't sound like Denver has it but Boulder does.
  8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

This is what I was going to suggest, that is a good barrel aged stout.
  9. Prospero

Prospero Member

Had a BBB last night, good, but STRONG coffee!

I'd say check out Odell Meddler, Crooked Stave Sentience & Oculus at tap room, Struise Rio Reserva and 3F Golden Blend are on the shelves right now. NB La Folie at a couple places, BANE & BA BORIS, Renegade Elevated Wood (BA TIPA) all good as well. Avery Odio Equum maybe in the smaller stores.

River North does some good barrel-aging too with Unified Theory (BA Wit), BA J.Marie (BA Saison).
  10. denver10

denver10 Member

You say that as though that's a bad thing?! :cool:
  11. Prospero

Prospero Member

I love coffee, but the strength of it seemed to put the whiskey, vanilla and cocoa nibs to the background, that's all.
  12. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Member

6 bottles were at Daveco yesterday
  13. denver10

denver10 Member

I was just playing around...its definitely a coffee forward beer, but I have loved it every time I have drank it. I personally have found the beer to be big enough to support it, but I can see how others might think differently. Perhaps I just dig the coffee flavor they have captured. Also, I have noticed that the barrel influence has varied for me with each experience, I have tried it with a noticeable barrel influence as well as a subtle barrel influence.
  14. Prospero

Prospero Member

One thing I realized after visiting their website is they have different batches, and all are variations on the barrels, I presume with the same base beer, so for instance I had batch 7 (from DaveCo), but they released a couple batches this year, bottled at the same time and each release is different, some with whisky, some with bourbon, some with both. Which might explain your finely-tuned barrel awareness senses :)

I'd like to find batch 8 as it's 100% Colorado whiskey casks (Stranahan's I presume)

Also this year's coffee was different.
  15. denver10

denver10 Member

I have only had this years version(s) so I have nothing to compare this years coffee to.

I know the bottles I have tried have been Batch #6, am unsure which version I had on tap. The biggest differece I noticed was definitely between bottle and tap which I wasn't sure if that was the the difference between bottle vs tap, batches, or just me hallucinating. I do have a batch 7 bottle sitting in my fridge so that might clear things up for me.

Also, I always look to see what BBB is sitting on the shelves here in Fort Collins. So far I have not seen any Batch 8, its all been 6 and 7. Perhaps the stores are just waiting to sell their stock of these older batches first, which would be awesome, IMO, as that would mean there is a whole additional stock of this stuff just waiting to hit the shelves. The more BBB the better.
  16. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Member

Da
    Daveco in Denver or boulder?
  17. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Member

Excellent suggestion! That is a great beer! To the OP, I do prefer Epic's BBB over The Abyss, but its by a vary small margin. There is alot more barrel / whiskey notes in the BBB compared to The Abyss. Thats to be expected I would say since Abyss is 25% blend of BA beer. Abyss is more about mouthfeel and its balance IMO.
  18. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

Is BBB in Colorado Springs???
  19. Prospero

Prospero Member

Doesn't appear to be, closest is DaveCo in Thornton (based on Epic's website), it was 30-min for me and I live in downtown Denver.
  20. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Member

yeah in Thornton. Its a easy drive and right off I-25
  21. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Member

You guys are awesome. Can't wait to hit the bars tonight