1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Chicago bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jb123, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jb123

jb123 Member

Going to Chicago Thursday and Friday. Will be down town area. What are some good places to check out.
  2. MADPolo

MADPolo Zealot

You might be better off posting in the Chicago area sub-forum. Only speaking from experience of doing the same for a trip to Boston.
  3. jb123

jb123 Member

Thanks!
  4. powz87

powz87 Member

Binny's, Capones, Andersonville Liquors, West Lakeview.
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  5. jb123

jb123 Member

Thank u!
  6. mecummins

mecummins Member

The Beer Temple on Elston is new but awesome. Bottles & Cans on Lincoln is a great shop too.
  7. zach60614

zach60614 Member

Binny's is the only one mentioned anywhere even remotely close to downtown.
  8. NSK79

NSK79 Member

Where is the Chicago area sub forum? I'm still relatively new to BA, haven't found this...
  9. Hoozierdaddy

Hoozierdaddy Member

Great Lakes really is the Chicago sub forum. I don't know why non-Chicago people post there, but they do, those silly bastards.
  10. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Just posted this in what appears to be a duplicate thread, so I'll Ctrl+V here:

If you can stretch your stay by one day, it might be worth a visit to The Beer Temple for the Grand Opening. Gonna have the following breweries pouring: Half Acre, Lagunitas, Firestone Walker, Revolution, Metropolitan, Pipeworks, Spiteful, Begyle, Goose Island, and looks like FFF too.

I'll also have a LOT of fun bottles open to taste - Rare, Bramble, Vanilla, all years of coffee, Violet Hour - and those are just the BCSs :)
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

I'm assuming this is Saturday night? Holy crap, I'll actually be in the area for this.
  12. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

:eek:
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  13. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Member

Looks like Saturday is now reserved for Kumas and Beer Temple
  14. Efay

Efay Member

Just a quick look at his website:

12:00 PM- 2:00 PM
    *Goose Island Brewing Company
    *Pipeworks Brewing Company
    *Lagunitas Brewing Company
    *Begyle Brewing

4:00 PM- 6:00 PM
    *Firestone-Walker Brewing Company
    *Revolution Brewing Company
    *Spiteful Brewing Company
    *Metropolitan Brewing Company
    *Half Acre Brewing Company

Not completely sure about the personal bottles tasting. On regular days he opens up bottles at opening time until they run out. Due to the amount of bottles he'll be sharing I'm guessing he may spread them out throughout the day. This is just speculation though.
  15. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

I can't imagine these bottles will last very long! I mean, how many tasting samples can one wring out of a bottle of Bourbon County Rare?
  16. moefriedman

moefriedman Member

Skip Capones unless you like overpriced beer and IPA's that have sat on the shelf too long.
  17. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Violet Hour will go very very very fast. it's a tiny bottle...under like 9oz I think
  18. HugePrnceFan1999

HugePrnceFan1999 Member

7oz Miller Lite bottle, right? Manhattan Barrel from Violet Hour.
  19. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Yeah it could be 7oz...Gotta look..
  20. powz87

powz87 Member

i've never been there heard ok things. i usaully hit Andersonville across from hop leaf
  21. HugePrnceFan1999

HugePrnceFan1999 Member

Good prices on most things, but they really ramp up the prices on things they perceive high demand for. Logical, for sure, but sort of disappointing for a customer.
  22. jb123

jb123 Member

What time is this going on? We may have to do that
  23. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Member

I'm in Chicago for the weekend. I was already excited about it. Now that I found out about the Beer Temple, I'm absolutely quivering with excitement. Quivering.
  24. Monsone

Monsone Member

25. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Updated (but still partial) list of what I'll have open. This does NOT include what the brewers themselves are providing.

Cantillon Classic Gueuze
    Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze
    2009 Bourbon County Stout
    2011 Bourbon County Stout
    2012 Bourbon County Stout
    Bourbon County Rare Stout
    Bourbon County Vanilla Stout
    Bourbon County Coffee Stout
    Firestone Walker Parabola
    Westvleteren XII
    Thomas Hardy's Ale
    Sam Adams Utopias
    Sam Adams Triple Bock
    Bruery Fruet
    2010 Dark Lord
    2011 Dark Lord
    2012 Dark Lord
    Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus
    HopsMatt, chanokokoro and mecummins like this.
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
  27. jtg5678

jtg5678 Member

Nice. I plan on bringing a couple beers as well to help spread out your stock a bit. Nothing this crazy, but good stuff nonetheless.
    quinnsi likes this.
  28. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Acolyte

I know Beer Temple cracks open bottles but are patrons allowed to bring bottles to share as well? I'll be there Saturday and want to bring some goods not from the area.
  29. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Yes, people can bring bottles to "donate" to the tasting. But anything brought must be given to us to taste out to everyone for free. No private tastings please! That said, bring whatever you want.
  30. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Acolyte

Very cool, plan on showing up early and I'll throw-in a CCB/B Nektar Ghost Stories!
    HopsMatt likes this.
  31. justyouraveragebeerguy

justyouraveragebeerguy Member

Good thing this is the same time KBS tickets go onsale
  32. NSK79

NSK79 Member

Chris - Are you trying to create a mob scene??? I've been in your shop, you may need to find a bigger venue for the masses!
    thousandfoldthought likes this.
  33. quinnsi

quinnsi Member

Let me say this: I want this event to be fun, but it's not a beer fest, or even a bottle share. It's a guy who's passionate about beer opening up a beer store and wanting to celebrate. To be honest, I'm already nervous about people getting angry if the beer they want to taste isn't open when they get here, or people trying to game the system. Thanks to everyone in advance for being cool and realizing that even if it's not run perfectly, everything is free! Just come and have fun!!!!!
  34. thousandfoldthought

thousandfoldthought Member

I think you'll have enough people that want it to be exactly what you want it to be, and they'll keep the outliers honest. Hopefully I'll be among the folks keeping the riff-raff honest.
  35. NSK79

NSK79 Member

I'm sure it will be great, we will try to stop by and celebrate with you. Thanks for sharing with us Chris!
    thousandfoldthought likes this.
  36. jb123

jb123 Member

Very excited I just want to buy some things I can't get in michigan anything else is extras.
  37. jtg5678

jtg5678 Member

I'm with you here. Hopefully no one's "that guy" just sitting front and center at the tasting table. Frankly, I hope to get a taster or two, but don't expect anything more. I'm just as much looking forward to seeing what the breweries have to taste, talking with fellow BAs, and buying some great beer to boot. See you Saturday!
    thousandfoldthought and jb123 like this.
  38. justyouraveragebeerguy

justyouraveragebeerguy Member

As a measure of good faith everyone should buy SOMETHING. Preferably whatever Chris is having the most trouble selling. Let's not be a bunch of moochers and show Chris the respect he deserves.
    HopsMatt likes this.
  39. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Member

Im from KY and I will be up there to get things I cant get here. I plan on buying from him ;)
  40. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Member

Anyone interested in some IP trades? I have a lot of things I can bring up there with me. BA Bigfoot, BBPt5 etc