1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chicago bottle shops

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jb123, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

If I make it over there on Saturday I'm definitely buying beer. After all it's a craft beer store so there's no question about that aspect of my intentions!
  2. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Yeah, skip Capone's. Dude's pretty sketchy. A few months back, Goose Island sent out vintage BCS bottles (2009-2011) to a bunch of their accounts. Several stores got them, but for some reason Capone's was the only store that said "Goose Island wants you to buy a 12-pack of Goose to be able to buy a vintage bottle." Which actually meant (Freddie wants you to buy a 12-pack of Goose to be able to buy a vintage bottle." I asked the owners of two other liquor stores, and they said Goose made no such restrictions. So, despite buying about $120 worth of non-Goose beers, to get a $12 bottle of 2011 BCS I also had to purchase an outdated 12-pack of Goose Island at $17.99. That's the last time I went there.
    CityofBals likes this.
  3. As long as you're the one falling on the Bud Light Platinum sword (so to speak), I'll second this. ;)
  4. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Too many good liquor stores in Chi to shop at Capones.
  5. Golden Leaf Liquors has CW Peruvian Morning and Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. I could have sworn both of those were brewery only releases.
  6. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (320) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

they're in distro. few places got them at the end of last weel, more places starting getting them a few days ago. both beers are pretty solid.
  7. If I wasn't leaving the country in less than 2 months, I would have bought at least one of each. they sound really good, but i just can't spend any money right now. I have a '12 BBW that I have yet to try, and I've had a lot of the BBS this year. really nice brewery.
  8. quinnsi

quinnsi Savant (320) Illinois Nov 22, 2008

I can guarantee they aren't brewery only ;)
  9. well, I am aware of that now. :)
  10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Once stumbled into Andersonville after dinner and beer at Hopleaf. Had no idea it was there. Just saw the neon signs and wandered in. Very nice if not a little overpriced (or is $25 the right price for Tart of Darkness). No idea. I was just happy to be in Chicago. :)
  11. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

just checked. they were out of both.
  12. What r u looking 4?
  13. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I'll send you a PM
  14. emerge077

emerge077 Champion (950) Illinois Apr 16, 2005

Kinda sucks for the people that actually shop there >_>
    Monsone likes this.
  15. Me too please. Check out my gots and let me know if you're interested in anything. I don't have a whole lot, but I have multiples of a lot. I am dying to try some of your gots, but I understand if there isn't too much of value to trade for. Thanks bud!

edit: never mind. my list overlaps yours more than i had originally thought. thanks though!
  16. Wow, those went quick. Sorry about that my friend.
  17. HopsMatt

Well, if you can help me find some places with CW BBBW, I would be more than happy to bring you some things at no charge ;)
  18. heh. I just knew I should have grabbed a couple packs today. I am off of work tomorrow so I will be able to search around for some.
    HopsMatt likes this.
  19. quinnsi

Some info about tomorrow:

It's going to be crowded - Sorry in advance
    It's going to be fun - You're welcome in advance!
    Specialty beer sales for brewers attending the Grand Opening (Goose Island, Firestone Walker, etc) will be on sale when the brewer begins pouring.

The rare/cellar tastings from me may or may not be limited to a certain number per person...Haven't decided yet! If I do limited them, I'll be sure to have a good number of pours per person. I'm thinking 6 is fair. I'm just worried about the table being rushed and people draining what I have ASAP.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear suggestions.
    jebsinger likes this.
  20. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

I think the limit of 6 per person sounds like a good idea from a logistical standpoint (especially considering the lineup/excitement). I'm assuming you'll have a decent amount of glasses so perhaps a glass gets handed out to patrons as they enter with 6 tickets in the glass and tickets are collected upon pour ala FoBaB. If you end up estimating on the conservative side you can always give out more pours later on.

I was in last night (for my v-day gift, an imp biscotti break) and everyone couldn't have been nicer. This is a great shop with great people and is going to do very well. If I hadn't just stocked up on goodies from trips to CA and WI, I would have gotten much more.
  21. Please limit the amount of tastings per person to cut down on moochers. Also this goes out to everyone attending: Please buy something, ANYTHING from the store. Chris has a baby on the way and is going to need as much money as he can get!
  22. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

Limiting the tastes sounds good to me! Six is very fair and nobody will should complain about getting six free tastes of delicious rare beers. For myself, limits are always great, because the beer will inevitably sell (in the case of retail) or be consumed (in the case of tastes) and limits mean more people get to try some. The opening of a shop like this should be a celebration of how great craft beer is right now, not a chance to hoard up on rare stuff. Just my 2 cents.

I am hoping it won't be a total cluster tomorrow, The Beer Temple is a great shop that I've been to each week since you opened and I'm really looking forward to the event tomorrow.
  23. 6 seems totally fair! And I've got some buying I need to do aside from any rare beers I may be lucky enough to be a me to buy. I'm just excited for a fun event with lots of people celebrating a great new store!

Maybe for the stuff people may bring in have some type of different system not really sure on that though.
  24. quinnsi

Thanks everyone! 6 it is! If the beer starts hanging around I'll scrap the limit!
  25. 2 Extra tastings (8 total) for each patron that picks up a case of Bud Black Crown... Right!?
  26. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

No Capone's tactics here!!
  27. HopsMatt

What time are people getting there? They open at 11, right?
  28. Ill be showing up at 11 bright and early come over and say hullo I look much like my profile picture since I don't feel like shaving
  29. I really hope I can make it in time for the BCS Vanilla and Rare openings. I will be leaving work around 1 and headed straight to the event. If they open either bottles before 1pm, would a kind soul PLEASE save me just a taste of each. I will love you forever. I'm really looking forward to today. I hope everyone has a good time, and I hope it isn't too terribly crazy. Seriously, would a kind soul please grab me a taster of each if they do happen to be opened towards the beginning. Thanks :)
  30. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I'll be around with some Retribution, 2011 Darkness, others, but was planning to donate some of those to the store for opening.
  31. HopsMatt

I'm on my way! I'm bringing BA Bigfoot. Any interest in trying it?
  32. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Glad to see so many others sharing their distaste of Capone's. Their BeerMenus page is a complete bait and switch. Overpriced as well. IMO they bring nothing to the table that can't be found at another beer shop. The ONLY reason you will find rare beers there is because they are so overpriced that most reasonable people won't pay.
  33. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

Great event so far at the Beer Temple! I was there from 11-12:30. Great generosity from folks there and just a ton of beers to taste. My girlfriend and I each had four tastes and then left to make room for others, but I will try to be back for the 4-6 session since i have a couple tickets left and was hoping the crowd might die down a bit. Bought some beer and had a great time, I hope folks continue to support this great shop!

Wonderful donations from other BA's including a King Henry, and someone brought four or five expensive Bruery bottles just as I was leaving. Very cool.
  34. what a wonderful event! thank you everyone involved!

I was able to try a bunch of beers on my wish list which was awesome. i was also able to walk away with an Imperial Biscotti Break. such a great day!

on the list of beers i triedL
    1) Utopias (uhhh, so good!)
    2) BCS Rare (sooo good, up there with Baudoinia)
    3) Bramble Rye (was surprised at how much I liked this)
    4) king Henry (thank you so much to the kind soul that brought this bottle, I have been dying to try this one!)
    5) Dark Lord cognac barrel aged with Chilies (probably should have had this last, but very nice)
    6) Fantasia (again, thank you kind soul who brought this guy)
    7) BCS Vanilla (I should have liked this more, but I just didn't get any/much vanilla from it)
    8) BCS Coffee 11 (this helped me decide whether I want to age my coffee 12 or not....nope! drink it fresh!)
    9) BCS Coffee 10 (was a very nice BCS with a small hint of coffee and lots of chocolate. still great!)
    HopsMatt likes this.
  35. tinypyramids

yeah it was pretty sick! had manhattan barrel bcbs, rare, melange 3,'08 thomas hardy, cantillon cuvee de monks, and westy 12. bought a bunch of really great bottles, too.
  36. What was the crowd like when you left? Thinking about heading up soon...
  37. It really wasn't too bad. It was pretty crowded, but the longest I waited for a specialty beer taster was 7-10 minutes. I assume it will thin out as the specialty bombers become less abundant. It is worth a try heading up there and checking out the store.
  38. tinypyramids

to be fair i left at like 11:45am to meet up with a friend (i was also the first one in the door). but the shop is worth it even without the insane bottles.
  39. menkros

menkros Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Pipeworks hasn't built a tasting room. You can't go there for a pint. Also Lagunitas opens April 20th.
  40. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Cheers Chris for hosting such a great event. Everyone brought great bottles!