1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chicago Craft Beer Week

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by pschul4, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

^ i would love to know myself. my understanding, is what you mentioned. going to a featured place and getting a lanyard.

2. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I believe it is any beer of your choice to order for a sticker, not just a certain "Featured" beer.

3. I just called Quenchers, and they said Lanyards are ready to go. Probably going to swing by to pick one up later this afternoon.

Green Eye said they weren't passing them out until Thursday.

4. You'll probably need to ask at each bar. If I remember correctly last year with whatever it was you were supposed to collect (I didn't bother, just went to some events) some of the bars gave them to you for any beer but some wanted you to buy the "featured" beer to get it.

5. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I can't make it for all of Beer Week, but I'm flying in from LA the 23rd-27th and really looking forward to another CCBW. Some of the events I'm most excited about in that span:

- Faux BAB at Acre
    - Michigan Night at Beer Bistro
    - Central Waters/BA Petite Mort at Local Option
    - Sun King at Haymarket
    - Division St IPA Crawl
    - Allagash at Simone's

(Actually, coming from SoCal, what I'm really excited about is actually being able to walk/take public transit to beer events for once.)

If any locals are aware of goings-on that I should know about beyond what's on the official website, please let me know! And I missed out on Revolution's party tickets, so if anybody knows of any particularly cool alternate events Friday the 25th, I'm open to suggestions.

6. LeslieA

LeslieA Disciple (65) Illinois Jul 9, 2009

Does anyone have an extra ticket to the Revolution Event? I was out of town and unable to purchase tickets on my phone. By the time I was able to get to a proper computer they were sold out. Please message me if you can help me out. Thanks.

7. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

this hasn't been entirely clear based on what is on their website. i'm guessing all bars will do it differently, but last year if you went to a bar that was participating in CCBW you had to ask for a bottlecap (lasts years version of the maps).

assuming that all bars listed on here will have a stamp/sticker to add to your map if you purchase a beer. doubt they'll make you buy the $4 special.

it'd also be nice if the event/parties were giving out stickers, but i doubt it. beer under glass and the sands means 2 nights gone and no stickers. but 2 kick ass parties.

8. Folks that missed out on tickets to Beer Under Glass (or for those with really ambitious livers), this event at Fountainhead looks like a very worthy alternative:
    We are taking our regular Thursday night feature and putting a twist on it... or a tail. Join us for a night of Craft Beer pairings with a shot of booze or a cocktail. For this evening we will serving the Stillwater Kopstootje with a shot of Bols Genever, Boulevard Rye on Rye with a shot of Templeton Rye, New Holland Rum Barrel Aged Ichabod with a shot of Superior Rum. But, thats not all... we will also be pairing Goose Island En Passant with a Old Fashioned & Brooklyn The Concoction with the scotch based cocktail, The Penicillin.
    In addition to these great pairings we will also be pouring some fun other drafts from these breweries:
    Goose Island Lolita
    Brooklyn Brewmaster's Keller Helles
    Stillwater Of Love And Regret
    New Holland El Mole Ocho
    Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla

http://chibeerweek.com/event/?eid=171

9. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Any idea if The Fountainhead tends to tap special beers, particularly the BCBVS, when they open at 4:00pm or do they wait until later in the evening? I'm flying in from Austin around 3:00 and we're trying to plan out our evening. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

10. Best bet is to contact them directly -- having said that, it says the event starts at 4pm so I'd think everything listed should be available then.

Also going on during the week -- Owen & Engine is having a nightly raffle for a bottle of 2012 Dark Lord. No purchase necessary, but you do have to be present to win (and stay up until midnight). More here: http://www.owenandengine.com/2012/05/09/ccbw-late-night-dark-lord-baller-stout-give-away/

11. Well I have set a hell of a lineup for myself. Something to do almost every night, though there are some conflicting events I have not yet decided.
    Made a handy little document with everything I am thinking of attending.

I am looking for 2 tickets to Half Acre's Party at The Docks, if anyone cannot make it. BM me pleaseeee

doogie71628 likes this.
  12. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

I tried to get one at Haymarket this past Saturday and the bartender told me they would have them Monday (yesterday). So, they're out there.

13. To those that entered the drawing to play mini golf in the goose island barrel room....did any one get contacted and find out they won yet?

14. According to the facebook page for Chicago Craft Beer Week, winners have been drawn and emails would start going out "shortly". This was ~12:30pm, I guess. According to Goose, there may be a few waves of winners picked and emails sent -- if the first round of lottery winners don't pick up the tickets, they'll pick more names.

Personally, I'm just tired of checking my damn Spam folder all the time.

FritterFlip and thetomG like this.
  15. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Too funny. Been doing the same thing all day myself... lol... Good luck to you!

:)

16. That makes three of us.

17. As far as the mini-golf, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume winners haven't been notified yet. I have to believe there would be some mention via facebook or Twitter. To say nothing of people posting here and soliciting outrageous trades in exchange for the ticket.

18. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Goose Island tweeted that they are working on notifying those selected now. It appears the winners will begin to be notified shortly.

19. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (340) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but the NATO Summit is going to be in town this weekend. There will be many road closures and possible delays in public transportation. I have been told that May 18-20 will be the worst.

20. I actually just received an email about the mini golf.

21. What did this email say?

22. thetomG

Damn. I wasn't so lucky... and apparently everyone has been notified - Goose tweeted this about 10 minutes ago:

23. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Yea haha long shot (mini golf pun?) if anyone has an extra ticket I'd love to go...

24. Damn my girlfriend and I both entered and neither of us got in. Congrats to those who won

25. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i'm a winner! thanks goose. and thanks to OP with link. i didn't know.

26. It basically just said you've been selected and gave you a link to purchase the tickets, and it listed the participating breweries (GI, Haymarket, Arcade, Flossmoor, Virtue, Half Ace, & Solemn Oath).

27. Congratulations!
    You have been selected to participate in the Goose Island Barrel Warehouse Minigolf event for Chicago Craft Beer Week. Please follow the link to purchase tickets. The tickets are sold in pairs for $40 which includes a round of golf and samples of beer and cider from local breweries. You have until 12pm on Saturday the 19th to purchase the tickets, at which point tickets will be open to the public.
    Participating breweries include:
    -Goose Island
    -Haymaket
    -Arcade
    -Flossmoor Station
    -Virtue Cider
    -Half Ace
    -Solemn Oath

If you would like to bring your own putter, please feel free to do so. We have a limited number of clubs.
    Please join us for the 10th Hole at Cobra Lounge after your round of golf for a chance to lie about your golf score over $4 pints of Green Line.
    Cheers!
    Ken Hunnemeder
    Communications Coordinator
    Goose Island Beer Co.

28. Lansman

It looks like there were no limits as to how many tickets could be bought. If you received an e-mail, I highly recommend reserving your spot ASAP before potentially getting shut out.

29. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Jackpot! I was selected as well. That has to be a mistake on someone's part. It was clear that you were signing up for the opportunity to purchase a pair of tickets. You had to submit your name, address, etc. when you reserved your tee time. I doubt they are going to honor any reservations that exceed two.

I did find it odd that the ticket price was $0.00 and you didn't have to submit a form of payment. I guess we pay when we get there?

30. Lansman

There seemed to be an issue with some time slots. When I went in there, 3:30 PM had the correct price (~$43 after fees), but I believe 4 PM had a price of $0.00 listed. That could be an issue - does this mean that 4 PM was 'full' and the system was not taking any more reservations for payment?

31. I had to pay and I see the charge pending on chase.com. It was $42.39 total

32. chanokokoro

Hmm. I just emailed GI. Hoping I get a response. I'm not able to play much earlier in the afternoon.

EDIT: The ticket site lists which slots are sold out. There are two at the moment, however 4:00 is the only time it says tickets are available after 1:30. The ticket limit is 7 and you can't even purchase tickets for some time slots...something is really goofed up.

33. thetomG

Yep same here.... if anyone has 1 extra slot hit me up!!!

34. chanokokoro

Regardless, I replied to the email that came from GI alerting them to the problem. That being said, I did get a confirmation email that I have two tickets waiting at will call for 4 p.m. tee time in my name for a grand total of $0.00.

35. hmmm why do I feel like a sucker for paying the announced price?? :)

36. I had the same issue originally, but I think I figured it out... When you click Begin Order for whichever time slot you want, most of them come up as "There are no public prices for this date" but there's also a box that says Discount Code. If you type in the password that came with your e-mail into that box, it should allow you to purchase the tickets for the $42.39 that someone mentioned before. Or maybe I'm just crazy...

37. Can someone post the link for buying the tickets? They are on sale to the public on Saturday if anyone doesn't purchase theirs and I would love to have a chance to get them

38. Florida9

Florida9 Advocate (520) Illinois Feb 14, 2009

CCBW & NATO
    Craft Beer and Molotov Cocktails
    Let the fun begin!

39. Where did you hear that? Been looking and can't seem to find any news about Saturday.

40. See the transcript of the email: