1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chicago Craft Beer Week

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by pschul4, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I can say the website states there are 41 tickets remaining

2. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

im interested in buying 2 extra tix for this if anyone can help out. thanks!

3. Ah, very good. Thank you for pointing that nugget out.

4. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

At the mash tun festival now... Had parabola (multiple times), wws, Wookie jack (excellent), zombie dust, many homebrews that blew me away, stone irs, noble rot (surprising), meatwave. Still an hour left and I'm very happy with the party.

5. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Thumbs up to both Fountainhead for Nip and a Pint and Haymarket for the Greenbush Tap Takeover. Both events were a blast.

6. billywan

billywan Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 20, 2009

7. I suspect the answer is "no one knows", but can people show up before their assigned tee time? To, you know, hang out and drink? Though, drinking before the mini-golf... well, I bet the Goose Island staff will be finding golf balls in random corners or underneath other barrels for years to come.

8. toolbrew

toolbrew Savant (360) Illinois Feb 26, 2008

Anyone going to Farmhouse today for the Macho Man tribute?

9. Yep..headed over now! pretty pumped about this event.

10. tkmmorrison

tkmmorrison Aspirant (40) Illinois Apr 30, 2011

Does anyone need two tickets for the 4pm minigolf? It looks like I can change the name on the BrownPaper tickets website for the will call pick up. $20 each.

11. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Goose island mini-golf event was fun. Tried some interesting beer (darkest brew they had all day was the Eugene Porter). Variants of Madame Rose, Juliet, and Sofie were on along with some decent selections from haymarket, half acre, rev, and more.

The mini-golf course was awesome, staff was great.

12. Awwwwww when did they tap Juliet & Madame Rose? When I was there, between 1 and 2:30 they didn't have anything that wasn't on the ticket.

13. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i got there at 110 ish and madame rose was there. it was there til about 140 ish when my friend arrived and the keg tapped. missed on juliet but got a sample from someone. got a couple of pours of the skully (sp?) and romeo. among the other stuff that was on tap. had a blast.

14. toolbrew

toolbrew Savant (360) Illinois Feb 26, 2008

Anyone doing the DFH dinner at Burger Bar?

15. LeslieA

LeslieA Disciple (65) Illinois Jul 9, 2009

Also I have to say the Finch's event was A LOT of fun.

16. Jips

Jips Savant (355) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

Took a bunch of (very amateur) pics at the Goose Island mini-golf event. Super fun, definitely the most unique beer event I've attended.

Each hole was themed by brewery: Virtue had a farmhouse and a big apple (repping an orchard I guess), Flossmoor station had PVC pipe railway, Arcade had green pipes like in the Mario games.

Geeked out over being where many of my favorite barrel-aged treats age.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v448/Icetaco/Goose Island Golf Course/

17. Great pictures! It was unbelievable to see how many barrels there were of 2011 and 2012 BCBS. That and Lolita. I wanted to take one of the two barrels of King Henry : ) Also noticed a couple barrel aging Lolita of different varieties. Wish I took more pictures of the keg lists. Was a cool event event

18. Agreed that the Goose Island minigolf event has been the most unique event yet (and will probably remain so until the end of this week). Some of those holes were just devilish -- the one w/ the Bourbon County Tap/water feature as well as the one following (with the three faces pictured). I think my group took 6's on each one.

But because I enjoy complaining, I'll say this -- if you showed up later in the day, you were left with less-than-amazing drink selections. Also, if you showed up at your assigned tee time, you were *really* SOL as far as making the most of your three drink tickets. When I showed up at 3:30pm for a 5pm tee time (and, again, there was *zero* communication about when to show up or what to expect beyond "beer" and "minigolf"), my options were RedStreak, Green Line, Flossmoor's Heffe and a Berliner Weiss. All fine, sure, but no Brett Matilda; no Grapefruit Sofie; no Revolution; no Solemn Oath; no Arcade. Go ahead, call it sour grapes (there's a pun to be made...) but it would have been nice if they had staggered some of the more desirable kegs for every hour to make sure those of us who showed up later still had particularly fun stuff to drink.

Romeo (Juliet aged in stainless rather than barrels) was tapped late in the day and I got a glass of that, at least. Interested in different, I was glad to try it -- though I wouldn't necessarily seek it out again. But that's what this week should be about if you ask me -- new and different (though still tasty!) options.

Silver lining for me and my group was that by the time we were there, no one gave a shit about tickets. I think I had 6-8 glasses after all was said and done. And a branded glass! I certainly got my money's worth, even if I had to "suffer" through glasses of dry-hopped Green Line and RedStreak.

In more positive news, the Greenbush beers at SmallBar tonight were damn good. I would skip the regular Hyde in favor of the barrel-aged version, though. Noble Rot and Rabid Rabbit were delicious bonuses, too.

19. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i got there a little after 1 til about 530 ish. i got to try madame rose, had other random stuff you mentioned plus a sample of ba juliet, romeo, scully(two pours) which tapped later in the day, surprised you missed it dani.

agreed, had a blast, well worth the money and unique.