1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chicago Craft Beer Week

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Dontcounttoday, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Summer78

Summer78 Savant (295) Illinois Jan 18, 2013

2. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

3. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

If there is no final party for CCBW, I suggest we make one on our own. The combined beer in our cellars would be far more interesting than any party could provide, plus it would be a heck of a lot cheaper, and a great way to cap off the official activities.
  4. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Savant (465) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

There will be an official end of CCBW party. It will be big and it should be pretty great. More details to come when everything is finalized.
  5. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Sounds great! Should we charter a party bus or set up a tent?
    Lansman likes this.
  6. Summer78

must not be that high. sold out in 5 minutes...
  7. I got tickets at 10:20. The site is just overloaded. Had to keep refreshing and then be quick when tickets actually showed as available.
  8. Summer78

persistence pays off. well done. i'll see you there! personally i think $65 is well-priced. four hours of quality food and beer...sign me up
    jln83 and FritterFlip like this.
  9. Not sure if I agree on the price point, but I would point out that their event last year also had all beer and food included, it was on the beach, and cost $45.
  10. Looks like I totally forgot about this one.

OOPS.
  11. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

If anyone got 2 extra Half Acre party tickets and would like to trade for 2 Goose Island 25th Anny tickets, let me know. As an added potential bonus, if MBAs get in early, you would most likely be able to take advantage of that.
  12. pudgym29

pudgym29 Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 14, 2009

I will hope that the "closing event" does not take place on Friday night, the 24th (as if that Saturday & Sunday are mere afterthoughts).
  13. Something tells me this will be the closing party:
    5/25 - Illinois Craft Brewers Guild Beer Fest at French Market

Which would be pretty cool. That space is massive and filled with great food vendors (who I hope would be part of the event).
    cadaugherty likes this.
  14. Summer78

Where'd you see that? I don't see it on beerweek or icbg's site.
  15. Revolution sent out an update via email that lists upcoming releases and events, including this one.
  16. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

And near mass transit to the 'burbs!
  17. Brehnert

Brehnert Savant (250) Pennsylvania Mar 17, 2011

I'm going to be in Chicago during Beer Week and was just wondering how crazy it gets. Coming from Philly Beer Week which can get pretty overwhelming and packed, how have past years in Chicago been? Do the good events get sold out/so packed that you can't get in? Anything specific I should look out for this year? For reference sake, I'll be staying near the Magnifient Mile and Lake Shore Dr.

Thanks!

ps. Anyone looking to do any IP trades while I'm out there, check out my cellar at www.cellarhq.com/cellar/brehnert
  18. This thread might be a good place to start: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/chicago-craft-beer-week.82141/ (and maybe the mods can just merge threads?)

Unless I'm mistaken, only the Half Acre and BUG parties are sold out - other events don't seem to require tickets. The closing party has a lot of participating brewers but... I suspect they won't have much that can't be found at, say, BUG (ie. I'm inclined to pass unless someone can really sell me on the closing party). However, if you can't hit those other parties, then I'd consider it.
    http://westloopcraftbeerfest.brownpapertickets.com/

Honestly, this year looks like it's more about beer bars than local breweries. I don't know if that should matter, or does matter, but it leaves me a little cold. Sure, plenty of breweries will be pouring/appearing at different events, but I can just go to a better beer bar any day of the week and get beer from those breweries. Mini gold in a warehouse? Beach party? Those are compelling. Big party? Packed bar with limited taps? Those are less so.
  19. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

The more popular craft bars and events will be packed so I suggest getting to them early. My favorite beer week event from prior years that will be continued this year is the Division street IPA crawl at SmallBar/Jerrys/Bangers. Definitely go to that one if you can and I am sure they will be announcing several more awesome events in the upcoming weeks.
  20. Grohnke likes this.
  21. Because they got merged.

lol
    Grohnke likes this.
  22. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

23. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

This event deserves an unlike. Not the poster, but the event. This is basically the opposite of what Chicago Craft Beer Week is and should be about. I'm surprised that breweries and Chicago Craft Beer Week would even want to be associated with it. That's just my two cents.
  24. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

25. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

And also don't know how awesome it's gonna be when Laffler peels off his shirt and dances on your table after the dessert course.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  26. I was under the impression that $75 of the cost was going straight toward Lafflers' table dancing tips.
    mecummins and Bay01 like this.
  27. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Before even thinking of dropping this kind of money, I would have to be proven in this aspect first. I'd much rather pay $75 to get BA Abraxas at Bangers & Lace.
  28. $75 to get 1 pour of BA Abraxas? The rest of those beers (besides maybe Beersel) aren't worth a second glance. I agree though I would like to see a definitive beer list.
  29. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Just saying I need to see some sort of list before I would pay that much. I know I wouldn't be disappointed with the food. There's just too much going on to lock into something without knowing what I'm getting beforehand.

Unless of course its GI, in which case I kick myself for not getting a ticket once I find out what is involved.
  30. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

If someone has $175 to spend on that event they really won't care about the rareness of the beers that are being poured. It's below them. They'd probably gladly spend $100 on a rare bottle of something on ebay. If you can spend $175 on one event there are just things in your life you don't have to worry about (the cost of things).

I agree with everyone - is this what CCBW should be about? Doubtful.
    Will it sell out and be amazing? You're damn right.
  31. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

its more like 88 probably with tax and service fee involved.
  32. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Ummm...

I'm guessing lots of people easily spent that much for DLD, between tickets ($35 w/ fee), DL bottles ($45), a BA DL ($50), food ($10+), guest taps ($5/ea), and bottles they brought to share.

It's all about priorities :)
  33. Man, no one even cared about this beer when it was at FOBAB, lasted nearly all night.

Now errrbody all like take my money all of it, just a small taste.
    crushedvol likes this.
  34. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

false.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  35. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

True,

There was no line for this the entire time in the evening session. Cherry Rye, King Henry, and Blueberry Flanders went fast though.
    mcbeerbrew likes this.
  36. No one may have known what it was which was great because it was my favorite beer of the night and I got as much as I wanted. Of course everyone is going to go for the hyped beers.

I think more peoe took notice than you realize. Several of us from Chicago appreciated it enough to take a Thursday off work and drive 10 hours round trip for the release.
  37. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I don't understand how this event is the opposite of what Chicago Craft Beer Week is or should be about.

This is a renown, award winning chef that frequently does theme dinners that cost more than $150 for the food and drink (some have been up to $500). So in this case she rounds up her brewer friends and pairs all that beer with amazing food. The food is majority of the admission price and it sure isn't about touting the rare or hard to find beers, although there may be some there. (Side note, it is held at Little Goat, but probably just because they have the event space upstairs that Girl and Goat doesn't have).

Is it an event for the cost conscious? No. Is it an event for lovers of great food AND great beer, yes. I don't see why CCBW events need to dumbed down to just parties or tap list events.

For what it is worth, I have been to a few of her dinners and you always leave happy (and drunk).
  38. gill897

gill897 Aficionado (160) Illinois Apr 18, 2008

Since the question opened up with the Little Goat event what do people think CCBW should be about?