1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chicago homebrew classes

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Jwren5, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (290) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone in the area attended a local homebrewing class? I see Brew Camp and Brew and Grow both offer classes. Does anyone have any reccomdations for either of these, or for other places I am unaware of? I would like to take one sometime in the near future, so input is greatly appreciated.
  2. lsteffens

lsteffens Disciple (70) Illinois Feb 21, 2008

It was several years ago, but Ed Seaman was doing homebrew classes at his shop in St. Charles. The class was very helpful, and we were invited back when he put the beer we made on tap in his shop.

Home Brew Shop, Ltd.225 West Main Street
    St. Charles, Illinois 60174
    Phone: (630) 377-1338
    Fax: (630) 377-3913

www.homebrewshopltd.com
  3. Jwren5

I will definetly check that place out sometime if I am in that area. For right now though, I am more looking for something in the city that I can get to relatively quickly.
  4. funkyaudio

funkyaudio Savant (360) Illinois Feb 14, 2009

BevArt Brewer & Winemaker Supply
    10033 S. Western Avenue in Chicago.
    (773) 233-7579
    www.bev-art.com

The offer classes from beginner classes to all grain classes
  5. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Have you tried local home brew clubs? The ones down here meet up once a month, give seminars, do bottle shares, take bus trips to breweries and festivals, and are more than helpful with any advice that one would need and also invite people over on brew days to teach.
  6. Jwren5

That isn't a bad idea. I don't know of any in the area right offhand, but this is something I could look into.
  7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

honestly, skip the classes and just find a friend that homebrews and offer to help with a brew session. failing that, a homebrew club is great.
  8. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

If only there was some sort of thingy that could help do the searching, some type of "engine" if you will. Or you could start at your local bottle store if they sell kits or equipment, and see if they could point you to someone. Or maybe the yellow pages for supply stores in your area, just thinkin out loud here. Good luck!
    Jwren5 likes this.
  9. sfsean28 likes this.
  10. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

I did this for a bachelor party earlier this year. The class was fun and you drank a lot during it. (Bring pizza with you, seriously). However almost all of the beer we made there ended up infected and moldy.

If you are really looking to learn how to brew, find someone that already brews and have them help you with a batch. Join the AHA and go to some meetings. Or just buy. A kit, a pot and a recipe and go for it.
  11. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I always found it weird that it was connected to a dog grooming place. :confused:
  12. ThirstT

ThirstT Aficionado (140) Illinois May 5, 2012

I know that you had stated that Saint Charles may not be the vacinity that you're looking to go to, but this is the website for the brew club that I attend. It is a smaller club of about 10 steady members with another 10-20 people who have chosen to stop in occasionally. This is the only brew club that I know that brews a beer during its meeting. So, you'd get an opportunity to see a brew process as well as talk with some folks that are passionate about their varying levels of brewing experience. If that interests you, please feel free to inquire.
    http://www.meetup.com/Wingnut-Brew-Club/
    Jwren5 likes this.
  13. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

I just joined up for that Wingnut Brew Club. There appears to be a meeting next week and it's $5 to join. that a pretty slick deal.
  14. If you are looking for something in the city proper look up the club I belong to Chaos Brew Club. Our new site is www.chaosbrewclub.net
  15. Jwren5

This place looks pretty awesome. Where is it located at?
  16. Grand and Ogden essentially.
  17. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Id second that idea, they usually have a small fee to join the club, cheaper then a class id imagine, and you get to meet a lot of cool people that are knowledgeable and always willing to help a newbie....
  18. Your local or nearby library might offer a homebrew class. The libraries by me have them once in a while.