1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chick Beer ...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFunGuy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

My wife saw Chick Beer in a poster, and got all excited.

Who is actually making it? What style? Taste?

2. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

They state that it's brewed at the 2nd oldest brewery in America and that it's in Wisconsin, and also that it's non-InBev - so i assume that's probably Pabst?

ISO: Chick Beer

3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Probably Minhas.

Edit: It is Minhas.

4. Yep.

I'm genuinely interested in trying this, if only for the lulz.

5. Aexoonge

Aexoonge Savant (255) California Mar 2, 2012

6. There is no Pabst brewery.

7. It tasted like Miller Lite, or something along those lines. I wouldn't bother trying it, unless you're just taking a sip of one your wife bought, like i did. I still have 2 sitting in the fridge if anyone is really interested.

8. I was in the packy with a friend of mine...and we were having a good laugh at the Chick Beer (because for us, just the fact that it is named that means that as a girl I refuse to buy it-give me my Ten Fidy any day over that stuff), but the sales guy overheard us. He came over to chat and told us that it actually sells fairly well and that even he had some at home so he could try it to see what it tasted like. :confused:

Etan likes this.
  9. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

My wife's "chick beer" is 9% Don de Dieu....thats how she rolls Minhas

10. heinousmojo

heinousmojo Initiate (0) Maryland Dec 29, 2007

I actually know a few things about this beer. First, I understand that Beer Advocate is perhaps the least-friendly forum that exists in which to discuss any brand of light beer. However, light lager is the most popular style of beer in America, with over 50% of the overall market. Over 75% of women drink light beer.

So that's who the brand is targeting. In fact, Chick Beer beat a group of three major light beers in an independently conducted blind taste test by a margin of 3:1. I've probably tasted over a thousand beers, and I'm a big fan of many of them. I also like chocolate cake, but I don't eat it at every meal. Every once in awhile, you've got to eat an apple.

11. Weak sauce.

12. heinousmojo

heinousmojo Initiate (0) Maryland Dec 29, 2007

Wow, that's a compelling and well-researched response! Sorry, I like to deal in facts, and not in childish retorts.

13. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I think their post wasn't in reaction to the facts (everyone knows that pale, light lagers sell incredibly well) but rather to your apparent analogy:
    ...which is how I read your post, but it was a little ambiguous; perhaps you meant it the other way 'round? Either way, I still don't understand what you were getting at.

14. I don't get the chocolate cake/apple statement. I like chocolate cake better, but i eat an apple sometimes because i like them too. However, if i did not like apples, i would not eat them at all. I did not enjoy the taste of this beer, so i won't drink it.

I understand the marketing aspect of it. It is going after a large specific target audience. That's smart. They can probably sell alot of beer and make alot of money. I will spend my money on beers i find of higher quality and better taste. There's no reason i have to drink or even appreciate this beer.

FWIW, the reason i have 2 still sitting in my fridge since before christmas is that my wife, who is typically a lite beer drinker, does not really like it either. I'm sure there are plenty of women that find it delicous. More power to them and Chick beer.

15. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Your post combined with your avatar has me ROFL.

Cheers!

16. I don't see what's so new and innovative about "Chick Beer", or their marketing strategy... Michelob Ultra has been marketing their beer to women and Lance Armstrong for years now.

kevanb, ant880 and FUNKPhD like this.
  17. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

So obviously you work for them or own the brand ... FYI, light beer is not beer. It is a marketing gimmick. Adding insult to injury you take a light beer, use the word "chick" and splash some pink on it and hope that it sells. Laughable at best ... good to know you went with the most reputable contact brewer as well. DOH! :eek:

Just because you market your beer a different way does not make it any different from any other light beer. Your brand has no soul ... and in the end it will only hinder the beer culture that is emerging now for any of the followers you have. Exclusive branding is bullshit IMO.

18. /thread
    jason for the win

19. Assuming so considering their BA location is Easton, MD and on the Chick Beer website the contact number area code is 410, which hey covers Easton, MD!

Oh and the FAQ page lists the owner living in MD.

Bluecane and Jason like this.
  20. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

I care not for chick beer, but big ups for the use of "Packy"
    My wife's chick beer is sorachi ace... Or black ops

GabbyTapped likes this.
  21. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Not to mention the brand is reinforcing sexist gender roles. If I was a woman I would be incredibly offended if I saw that.

22. Lilsparkee

Lilsparkee Aspirant (45) Minnesota Sep 30, 2011

If you want "Chick Beer", join or create a women's brewing group...make the kind you like. That's what I did !

OchMcKenzie, kevanb, FosterJM and 2 others like this.
  23. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Hahahahaha. Oh. Some people don't even try.

24. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Dammit. Was all set to respond until I saw your post. In any event....

"Over 75% of women drink light beer."

So what's your point heinousmojo? 100% of them drink water as well. Maybe the brewer should have called this stuff "chick beer," but filled the bottles with tap water. That way they wouldn't miss out on any part of the female demographic.

The few women I've spoken to about the beer have indicated they feel mildly insulted by the name. They get the fact that the maker is trying to be mildly amusing, but as one friend pointed out to me, "how would you feel about some stupid light beer that was called "manly light? Would you be apt to drink it?" I admitted that unless someone told me it was the greatest thing since scotch tape, I'd probably ignore it as just another goofy gimmick. Her response to that was "ahuh... well????"

"In fact, Chick Beer beat a group of three major light beers in an independently conducted blind taste test by a margin of 3:1"

I have no idea what to make of that, and frankly, who in the world gives a rat's ass. To begin with, I have no idea what you believe constitutes a "major light beer," just as I have no idea what YOU mean by an "independantly conducted blind taste test." That being said, are you really trying to convince us that the makers of this stuff are trying to market this beer as a product that consumers will think tastes better than some other industrial light lager? Please! Seems like that kind of runs in the face of employing a marketing gimmick with the name "chick beer" to begin with.

"I also like chocolate cake, but I don't eat it at every meal. Every once in awhile, you've got to eat an apple."

Again, and as pointed out by others, what in the hell does this mean? I assume you're making some kind of an analogy, but I'm confused over what you consider chocolate cake and what you consider an apple. Assuming the former (the chocolate cake) is craft beer, why does it necessarily follow that chick beer is an apple (again, assuming I buy into the whole "you have to augment rich food with something more bland and healthy from time to time.")? Again, trying to understand you here, but I still don't see why that means I'd want or need to drink chick beer on those occasions when I might not be in the mood for my customary IPA/DIPA or RIS.

In short, I think we all understand what's up with this stuff, so why not simply call a spade a spade? There's nothing inherently attractive or unique about this crap... it's just another virtually flavorless light beer where the maker has attempted to distinguish the product by giving it a cute/funny name. More power to him if it works, but let's not try to make this out to be more than it actually is.

FUNKPhD and nanobrew like this.
  25. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Pic or it didn't happen.

PS - Anything within the beer culture that caters solely to women is an insult to women.

26. Anyone who wants to join me in my only for men beer venture, we will be making dick beer and selling exclusively to men, maybe a good ol' fashioned "no girls allowed" sign would do the trick.

GabbyTapped and FUNKPhD like this.
  27. I will treat it like any other mass produced light lager, i'll ignore it.

HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  28. Hysterical!!!!

29. There are different types of women in the world.
    Yes, some will be insulted; a different group of women will think Chick beer is "cute".
    There's even a group of men that might find the marketing of Chick beer to be fabulous!!!

30. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Obviously. Just like there are women who are insulted, but they just don't know it yet.

tarawho likes this.
  31. Chick beer is misogynistic and you're a tool. How 'bout those for facts?

tarawho and John_M like this.
  32. Obviously this is a lame gimmick of a beer, but at least it's all-malt! I'd rather buy an independently-owned, all-malt gimmick beer than a mainstream AAL.

What's that? It's brewed by Minhas? Never mind...

33. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I just noticed this on their website:

"For centuries, beer has been created, produced and marketed by and to men. At Chick, we think that it’s time for a new choice."

In response to that, I post this:

http://terifahrendorf.com/

tarawho, FUNKPhD and VonZipper like this.
  34. Cr0wBait

Cr0wBait Aficionado (170) Florida Feb 17, 2012

I don't know many chicks that drink beer at all. It's all about the Jaeger and whipped cream vodka around here.

35. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

"For centuries, beer has been created, produced and marketed by and to men. At Chick, we think that it’s time for a new choice."

Isnt that a complete and total falsehood as well? I was under the impression that for centuries brewing was actually considered a "woman's job". New slogan: "Chick..rewriting history and categorizing women one pink can at a time"

36. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a fan of this particular branding of beer, but calling it misogynistic is a bit overboard, no? Does something about this brand portray a particular hatred of women (beside wanting them to drink crap beer)?

37. Not if they're referring to the 19th, 20th and (partial) 21st centuries.

I don't know, seems a lot of people are awfully upset at this innocent gimmick, considering the past several decades of misogynistic advertising by primarily (but not exclusively) the macro breweries that gets little notice or objection.

Bluecane and drtth like this.
  38. Yes and no. You're right that for most of recorded history brewing has been done by women more than men, but the marketing/selling of beer has indeed been male-dominated. When beer was mainly homebrewed, it was another household chore that women did alongside cooking and child-rearing. Once it became a business, men quickly took over, and there can be absolutely no disputing that the vast majority of beer marketing has been by men for men.

39. Agreed. This is certainly no more misogynistic than classic macro advertising that paints women as either insufferable nags or brainless sex objects.

Of course, not ALL beer advertising can be called misogynistic.

40. Ya I think Alewife kinda rings a bell.