1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chick Beer ...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFunGuy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Sigh... I do so miss the Swedish Bikini Team.
  2. This is like when Kid Rock made a beer called Badass Redneck Lager
  3. ISO:Badass Redneck Lager FT: Chick Beer
  4. I can totally see Chick Beer selling at Spencer Gifts at the mall.
    yamar68 likes this.
  5. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Wait. Does this mean you are saying that the Swedish Bikini team was a sexist misogynistic advertising gimmick designed to attract the attention of men????
  6. FreshHawk

FreshHawk Advocate (510) Illinois Nov 24, 2009

I just saw this at my local Hy-Vee and just laughed and walked away. Soon after they were advertising it over the intercom, promoting it as brewed by women for women and I wondered what it meant by brewed for women. They then went on to state that with the low calories and carbs it's great for getting in shape or something to that affect. I just shook my head as I know plenty of women who will enjoy a relatively high calorie/flavor beer now and then, and I know men that have gotten low calorie beers for want of not gaining weight. I wasn't planning on getting it before but definitely won't after that pandering to gender norms.
  7. brainmist

brainmist Aspirant (30) Aug 27, 2012

"The flavor is soft, smooth and full-bodied."

"Chick Beer celebrates women: independent, smart, fun-loving and self-assured women who love life and embrace all of the possibilities that it has to offer."

http://chickbeer.com

Apparently it hasn't occurred to them that the enormous range of beers out there qualify as some of those possibilities we're so good at embracing. But silly me, I didn't realize all the marketing was directed at men, and I needed a SPECIAL beer with a pink label to really enjoy it. Here I thought what mattered was flavor, mouthfeel, aroma, etc.

Silly me. Isn't that just like a chick?
  8. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

You know what I find offensive? Chick Peas. I like Garbonzo beans, like me some Hummus but everytime I try to eat some all I hear is "look at that guy eating chick peas".

It is advertising, no more no less. There is plenty of beer advertising tell males to "man up" and drink real beer drink light/lite beer. Should I be offended or insulted that I am supposedly not a real man because I choose to drink something else? I guess its not worth my time to worry about it.
    JimDH, Zimbo, TimoP and 4 others like this.
  9. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

As a huge bastard, the beers Double Bastard and Arrogant Bastard offend me.
    Who are they to say I only like aggressive beers? I usually drink Zima.
    Here I thought what mattered was a clear color and fruity taste.

Silly me, Isn't that just like a big bastard?
    crushedvol and beertunes like this.
  10. Kaie

Kaie Zealot (85) Washington Jun 5, 2011

My "chick" wouldn't ever buy this beer on her own.

Heres another one of my favorites

I thought that was a joke at first.
  11. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Most women I know drink the same thing I do. That's the way it should be.
  12. No different than Stone's "You're not worthy" challange imo.
    Chaz likes this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

14. kzoobrew

While I do believe tongue is firmly planted in cheek when it comes to Stone, as far as perception goes you are right.
  15. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

yes, it's offensive. no, giving them free publicity was probably not a good idea. pick your battles.
    TimoP likes this.
  16. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

And the Mayor has spoken. Nicely put Kevin! BL has grab some buds. Implies manly and tuff.
    Marketing at its finest for chick beer.

Cheers!
    Zimbo likes this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Unless I'm mis-reading my contemporary post-post-modernist cultural cues, this brand* is marketed in the same type of self-aware "novelty" branding that is aimed at those consumers who understand it as exactly that. It's much like the "Three Stooges Beer" from Panther Brewing back in the early Oughts (or perhaps even the many "Skinny Girl" brands of adult beverages, come to think of it).

I'd play "Beer Pong" with it -- in a pinch. ;)

*It's a Minhas contract, and by now even the owners of the company understand that their brands face legitimate challenges in the market. Other than taste being subjective, I mean.
  18. I bet it sucks.
  19. It's certainly stupid, but I did get a kick out of this line from the FAQs.

"Chick Beer is also lightly carbonated, because women generally aren’t as fond of belching as men are."
  20. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

it is worth your time to worry about, because it's sexist. also, the roles those types of advertising try to impose on men are usually positions of power and privilege relative to women (why does "man up" mean be brave and/or responsible?). you should be offended by all sexism, and not just "they talk about my maleness too, nyah!" but how messages to men and women serve to oppress them both (usually mostly oppressing women).

also, not to get too cliche, but people need to turn their brains on about gender and sexism. if you saw a commercial that said, "white up, whiteboy! drink the racially superior beer!" you'd--hopefully!--remember the lynching, forced labor, etc of racism and be offended (you should also think about current racism, but for most people that's apparently too much to expect; at least they remember slavery and lynching). but what are the consequences of sexism? are they happy go lucky consequences, or rape, murder, unequal pay, unequal representation in positions of power, etc? why is that not so offensive when people are casually sexist in advertising?
  21. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Chaz likes this.
  22. kzoobrew

If I allow myself to worry about everything that is offensive, insulting, sexist or racist I would not have time to do anything else. Chick Beer is not worth my time to worry about. Do I think it is in poor taste? Yes. They will get there, poor taste equals poor sales, they will pay for it. Let's not overblow this one, it just is not that big of a deal.
    Zimbo and Chaz like this.
  23. I'm more offended when I'm studying the beer menu at a bar or restaurant and the waiter asks me, "Do you like Blue Moon? I can recommend a few beers that are similar. You might like a Shock Top!" ...Just because I'm a women. My husband never gets recommended beers like that.

I usually tell them I think it's ok and proceed to order a DIPA, Imperial Stout or something sour and that usually shuts them up and they will leave me to my own devices.
  24. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

You should write to the women (and self-defined chicks) who founded Chick and who developed that marketing approach that bothers you. But they are right in some of what they say, for example, most of the beer marketing money spent in this country is spent targeting men.
  25. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Haven't you ever seen pink electronics? This is nothing new.
  26. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

I find it insulting to newly hatched chickens.
    DSlim71 likes this.
  27. This got a full (and spirited!) discussion last spring on here. Few opinions have changed since, looks like.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  28. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

I assure you, there are those of us working to make sure exchanges like this go the way of the dodo and (fingers crossed) Chick Beer...
  29. If this works, get ready for 'gay' beer, 's&m' beer, 'girlyman' beer. You get the picture.
  30. kzoobrew

31. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Apparently you forgot Schmitts Gay
    [​IMG]
    jaminjohnson and TimoP like this.
  32. I hope you and all of the rest of the people working to make sure these exchanges go away are successful. But it's like trying to make something idiot proof. The idiots always find a way.
  33. Though it's certainly subjective as to whether or not something is in good taste, marketing your product to a certain demographic is simply good business. This has absolutely nothing to say this product is well marketed or not. I do, however, think it is in good taste from the very limited amount I have seen. It is pretty blatant on who it is for, though, and I can see why a woman may be offended by it. However, I don't think it's saying women should drink this over craft beer because women can't handle or aren't manly enough for craft beer (or even for other light beer for that matter). It's saying women should drink this instead of drinking macro light beer that is marketed directly to men. It's also saying women may have slightly different tastes (generally, on average) than the average man and women shouldn't have to submit to the tastes of men. Keep in mind this is not catering to the craft beer drinker (male or female).

Your comments on racist marketing comment directly about the superiority of a majority group. That is taboo, blatantly incorrect, and completely different than what the marketing for this product is saying. I simply don't see the comparison. This probably has to do with the fact that I don't really find this marketing very sexist. If anything, it's telling women not to submit to marketing and tastes of men.
    OddNotion likes this.
  34. It's gonna take a lot more than somebody marketing beer towards females to insult me.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  35. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

36. superspak

superspak Champion (900) Michigan May 5, 2010

I saw that in one of my beer stores a couple weeks ago. I was asking myself if I was in reality, because I gave that beer a 10% chance of hitting market after hearing about it a while back lol
  37. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Fair enough; no one can get riled up about everything. That said, you should still recognize sexist (or insulting, racist, etc.) things as offensive, even if it's not egregious enough to truly offend you. I don't really care about Chick Beer (not to mention that it was already discussed on BA), but I do think it's somewhat sexist and anyone who cares enough to say something has my moral support.
  38. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

This beer is for independent, smart, fun-loving and self-assured women who love life and embrace all of the possibilities that it has to offer. If you find this beer insulting then you are clearly a dependent, stupid, fun-hating, and timid woman who hates life and fears change.
  39. Everything about Minhas is an insult to beer!!!!
    RKPStogie likes this.