1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chick Beer ...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFunGuy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I might respond that as a dude your experience of sexism is not at all like a woman's might be but I'm too drunk for that.

Twins!

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I did recognize it was in poor taste. I am a firm believer that the only things that are offensive is what you allow to offend you. There are times that you give power to what is offensive by giving it recognition. Chick Beer deserves to be ignored in my opinion, thus taking away their power. By talking about this we are giving them publicity, free advertising. I support people standing up for what they believe in but I think there are better battles to fight and more effective ways to deal with this situation.

leedorham likes this.
  3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

You are truly at one with your Jimmies, good sir.

4. just browsing the website provided in the OP:

"We have always believed that it was very important that Chick Beer share its success with women. To that end, Chick Beer has pledged to donate 5% of its net profits to charities that empower women, both nationally and locally in the communities where Chick Beer is sold."

that 5% is a lot more than a lot of other brewery's/company's can say they donate. Charities receiving money in 2012 include Dress for Success, Ms. Foundation for Women, and Women's Sports Foundation.

Just seems like marketing to me, and good marketing at that, because we're talking about it. Whether or not its sexist, I dont know, didnt rub me that way.

5. We don't have enough cheap adjunct lagers in the market so I'm glad Chick Beer is trying to fill a gap...

6. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Nope, not at all offended. Even if I was, I would ignore it and go about my merry way.

7. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

There is already vodka for women and wine for women so it seems like a beer for women was only a matter of time. They are just trying to make a buck. If you don't like the idea, don't buy it. You have my full support to choose who you give your hard earned money to!

8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Perhaps I'm nitpicking, but this isn't quite sexism. Stereotyping, maybe. But sexism involves discrimination and, like the racism example, a notion of superiority over those inferior. I agree that sexism/racism exists in the U.S. (and just about everywhere), mostly behind the scenes.
    But this "beer" doesn't say, "this beer is for women b/c they shouldn't be offered anything better". If it's true that over 70% of women drink light beer, then it would make sense to tell them, 'hey, look, we're a light beer'.

Is this a dumb idea? I think so, but only the sales numbers will tell us for sure.

To the OP: insulting? Not really. Stupid? Maybe. Ugly and probably horrible? You betchya

9. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

If the charitable donation thing is true, good on 'em.

Still, good marketing leads to good sales, and, at the moment, Chick Beer ain't selling worth a damn (at least at my particular store), so this particular marketing gimmick can't be considered entirely effective. What is has been effective at, though, is polarizing members of both genders, which, I think we can all agree, is nothing short of a fantastic step toward peaceful, happy relations between everyone and everyone else...

10. Where you guys been? Didn't your mothers (well, maybe I should say "grandmothers"...) drink Storz-ette - The Original BEER for Women? (Geez, says so right on the label!) It's Calorie Controlled, too.

[​IMG]

JimKal likes this.
  11. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

S&M is just a hobby, so that one is silly :D

12. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

If I remember correctly weren't Light/Lite beer initially introduced and marketed towards women? It was not until the 70's when they started to use NFL players to shift their marketing efforts towards men IIRC. Kinda funny, what you have to drink to be a man today would have made you a housewife fifty years ago.

13. Same goes for cigarettes. Marlboro was originally marketed to women. It was one of the first to have a filter.

14. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I don't find this beer insulting, but you know what I do find insulting? No Chick Beer Distro in NY.
    OP, I see you enjoy the word silly. That's nice.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You guys that are surrounded by women that enjoy craft beer should consider yourself lucky. I can barely find male friends that are into good beer let alone female ones.

16. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

I hear ya, I seem to be having that problem as well.

17. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

This is largely because too many bars suck at getting better beer to their patrons and those that are better with beer, at least in my area, see more customers. (especially when I lived in SC, the bars with micros stayed packed while the "bud bars" only got crowded on weekends)

18. JKAllen likes this.
  19. My wife's chick beer is Magic Hat #9. She loves it and I happily buy it. She was an Amstel Lite/Stella Artois girl and came to her senses since I always have a fridge full of craft beer. Now I grab a six of #9 on each of my beer runs. And the good thing is I like it on occasion too.