1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chilling beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ManaKarma, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question, but I'm new around here, so take it easy on me if it is.

I'm wondering if there are any issues with chilling beer on ice or in a freezer, and if so, what is the science behind it? I'm not talking about chilling beer beyond serving temp., but rather just getting it to serving temp. quicker.

Thanks in advance,
    MK
  2. I've done it more than a couple of times and have had no issue. I would prefer to gradually cool it, but until someone else tells me it affects the beer negatively, I'll keep doing it to beers that I need chilled quick.
  3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

just don't forget about a lower abv beer in the freezer... sigh. I speak from experience :(
    Mgm54, Zimm and ManaKarma like this.
  4. Happened more than I'd like to remember in college... not going to happen with my good beer now!
  5. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I've done it several times... in my 30's and later... w/ good beer. I'm the classic absent-minded professor. sigh.
  6. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

15 minutes in freezer .....perfect
  7. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

There's a Mythbusters episode about this. I think Ice bath with salt was the most practical/fast way to do it, but like JayIsPeeing notes, 15 minutes in the freezer is great for a 12 oz bottle/can. bombers will take a bit longer.
    Shagator, devlishdamsel and mecummins like this.
  8. I keep most of my beer in a cabinet in the kitchen. If I need to cool something quickly i put it in the freezer for like 10 minutes and it's always fine. Never put anything in the freezer long term though
  9. Large bowl with ice and water. Takes about 10 minutes.
  10. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012