1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chimay Grande Reserve 2012 label

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by icetrauma, Feb 12, 2013.

1. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

When did they change from the blue label to printing on the bottle?
  2. icetrauma

Anyone Anyone
  3. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Evidently the monks aren't on BA.
    mythaeus and Michigan like this.
  4. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

From the Googles and the Bings it looks like it started in 2012. I can't find a picture of any 2011 vintage with the printing, they've all got the blue label.

Oh god you're not actually looking for the exact hour of the exact day now are ya?
  5. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

6. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

it cost twice as much and is half as good
  7. I believe it's just for the 2012 year...I read something about the 150th anniversary beer (a Tripel, I believe) being ridiculously difficult to get ahold of, and they put this (much more widely distributed) offering out as a sort of keepsake for those who didn't get the special brew. Stupid me, before I found this out, I didn't read the label closely, and thought this WAS the special brew, and I gladly paid the $14.99 price tag (it was this price at several places around town, right next to the regular Grande Reserve). The price increase is dumb, but the beer is absolutely stunning. I forgot, spending the last few years seeking more popular, 'hyped' beers, just how good this is.
  8. icetrauma

It's been $14.99 a bottle around here for a year or 2 now. I remember when it was $8.50/bottle.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  9. Sounds like the packaging change is a way to increase the price with less notice. Right now Chimay Grand Reserve runs around $13-14 a bottle around here. I also remember when it sold for $8-9 per 750. It's making that 3l bottle I paid $65 for seem like a better deal every time the price goes up.
    icetrauma likes this.
  10. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I was told by a knowledgable beer store owner that this new label is actually a tweaked version of regular Grande Reserve, done in collaboration with some other monks. No idea if this is legit. But I'm a big Chimay fanboy, so I bought one at a relatively high price and didn't think twice about paying $28 for the 150th anniversary beer either.
  11. The 2012 printed Grand Reserve bottles are right next to the standard blue-label bottles on the shelf where I work. As far as I have been able to work out, they are exactly the same beer with a ~$5 difference in price.
  12. Same beer, special anniversary artwork/label.
  13. uturn

uturn Advocate (515) Florida Sep 19, 2003

It's the same beer, but every 2 years they are going to use a different label. At least that is what I remember hearing while I was in their tasting room, as they wanted to make some diffrent bottles for collectors. Here is a photo, not of very good quality, showing the 2010 & 2012 Grand Reserve bottles. Yes you will see see the same beer in the traditional "Blue" label as well in 2010 & 2012.

Now if you can resist, age this bottle for about 16 years for a special treat.

Cheers
    Mike
    [​IMG]
    mythaeus likes this.