1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chipotle Testing Craft Beer in Chicago

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BreakingBad, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

scstorer likes this.
  2. Chipotle has had craft offerings in Colorado for as long as I can remember, not trolling, just sayin'
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  3. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

they have corona... that's about all i've seen
  4. Depending on the city in CO you can find Fat Tire, Sunshine, Laughing Lab, Beehive, Avery, ect.
  5. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

This a great idea... I only go there when I absolutely want a burrito with hot sauce. But with a craft movement behind them.... I would definitely be there 3 times a week, just as long as it was a decent line up!
    indybearsfan likes this.
  6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

They already have Boston Lager. :p
  7. The ones in RI carry an alright selection. They tend to rotate them pretty often to carry seasonals here. I've even seen some pumpkin ale in their fridge. Mostly Sam Adams harpoon etc. Can't complain.
  8. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

Chipotle is the Budweiser of burrito joints, so this is a wise move.
    schteve, MontereyBay831 and BrettHead like this.
  9. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

The difference of the two, is that Chipotle is actually tasty. ;)
  10. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

I'm just happy to have a Chipotle in Paris! Not worried about the beer so much, was happy to see that they did offer the preferred Mexican Lager: Bohemia.
  11. No way. You guys got one in Paris. J'adore Chipotle.

Hopefullythey'll have some IPA's at the Chipotle I frequents when I'm in the US.
  12. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Yup, opened about 3 months ago. Not as good as the one's in the US, but still pretty damn good.

Where are you going in the states? I've been to Chipotle's in a bunch of different states and have never seen a selection outside of the typical "mexican food beers" Corona, Modelo, etc.
  13. Taco Bell is the Budweiser of taco joints. Chipotle is the Boston Lager.

EDIT: Heck, I like Chiopotle - it might even be the SN Pale Ale!
  14. It varies by location here in Mass. Very limited selection with only a couple of local offerings like Sam and Harpoon.
  15. taco bell is the budweiser of burrito joints.

Chipotle is like the blue moon maybe
  16. is there an echo in here?

:p
  17. I don't really see this working that well, at least not for why I go to Chipotle. I go to Chipotle when I want a quick burrito - at lunch, during a road trip, when I'm in a hurry, etc. I don't foresee myself wanting a beer in the majority of times I want to go to Chipotle, and I see myself picking more of a sit down type restaurant when I want a beer with my meal. Having said that, a small craft beer selection will only add incremental sales for them.
  18. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Haven't they had GI year-round stuff for ages now, or was that just Noodles and Company?
  19. Yeah lots of joints carry Dales Pale Ale which is surprisingly refreshing in an ice mug with a burger.
  20. I was hoping they meant multiple breweries not just 5 Rabbit. I get the whole Mexican tie-in but what's the point of having just 2 craft beers from 1 brewery, unless they will expand in the future?
  21. Definitely not a new thing...

Interesting follow-up question though - does anyone actually like drinking beer at a fast food joint?

I figure if I have time for a beer, I have time for a more relaxing sit down restaurant/bar. Nothing against Chipotle's tasty burritos, but if I'm at a place like Chipotle, I'm typically there to grab some quick food and get out - not to relax over beers in uncomfortable industrial seating and decor.
  22. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I have no intentions of ordering beer with my Burrito Bowl.
  23. Looks like the beers they will try in the Chicago test are nothing but Corona and Negra Modelo clones.
  24. Every chipolte I've been to in Colorado either has had offerings from the following breweries
    • New Belgium in majority of CO locations, nearly guaranteed a Fat Tire & Seasonal release
    • Bristol in the Springs
    • O'dells in Fort Collins and Greeley
    • I've seen Boulder Beer only once...oddly enough at the 16th street mall location
  25. chipotle's chips are the saltiest things in the world. I'm not entirely unconvinced they're nothing more than pressed rock salt.

that being said, there is harpoon, magic hat, and 'gansett at the ones near me.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  26. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

incorrect, BA who doesn't get his limited release is saltiest thing in world.
  27. The only way they're even remotely comparable is that 5 Rabbit is golden/yellow color and 5 Vulture is dark.
  28. Yes. They've carried SNPA at every Chipotle I've been to.

SNPA + Barbacoa burrito + Green Tabasco = better than most 'slow food/small plate/artisan tacos/food truck' trends I've reluctantly thrown $$ at in the big cities.
  29. I got my opinion from the article:

The brews to make the cut are the company’s 5 Rabbit, a golden ale described as simple and somewhat similar to Corona, and 5 Vulture, a dark ale with chiles and spices that’s been compared to Negra Modelo.

Check your in box for a message from me.
  30. Chipotle is the subway of mexican food, too. It's really not that good. really.
  31. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

We have 3 or 4 different "Mexican grill" style chains around here. We just got a Chipotle here and everyone was all excited about it. Turns out they are by far the worst. No selection, flavorless ingredients. I'll take Costa Vida, Qdoba, or better yet a Taco Truck over Chipotle every time even if Chipotle starts serving Westy 12.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  32. Qdoba is disgusting, at least in CO.
    Their meat isn't even cooked to order when they run out. The prep for the entire day and only cook once they run out.
    I will say CO Chipolte is way better than other locations across the country, not sure why.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  33. Mbennett

Mbennett Savant (295) New York Jun 16, 2011

This guy is clearly smarter than the owners of a multi-million dollar food corporation. He should be a board member.
  34. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (545) California Sep 25, 2009

There is a Chipotle on my block. They just have Coronoa, Modelo, Bohemia. Hope that changes. I have seen some other chains, namely Rubio's offer Stone, which is something.
  35. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

Let's be real, Chipotle isn't over the moon awesome mexi food. If I wanted real mexican food I'd go down the street from my work when the little old lady is hand making corn tortillas for my lunch tacos. It is however a big step up above Budweiser & while not authentic is delicious for what it is.
    mrcraft and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  36. While I thank you for your support, I want to point out that I did not claim this to be a poor business decision. I simply said that I do not think this will lead to much incremental sales and, as an avid craft beer drinker and Chipotle consumer, I will likely never purchase craft beer at Chipotle. I am confident that the Chipotle executives have many more financial figures with which they can make their decision than I do.
  37. Let me translate into the version he was too nice to say: "don't be a dick"
  38. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (555) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

I went to the Chipotle Cultivate Festival a couple of months ago, and they had a craft beer tent their featuring probably in the neighborhood of 20 craft breweries. Some of them included were FFF, Founders, GI, Revolution, Half Acre, and a long list of others I don't remember. I was pleasantly surprised to see they had craft on the mind, so it's not a complete shock now they are going this direction.

I've always supported Chipotle for their belief in the humane treatment of animals. While adding craft beer isn't really going to do anything for me as I'm not likely to start drinking during my lunch hour (the normal time I visit there), it's nice to see large corporations embracing the craft beer movement.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  39. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

WELCOME TO MOE'S!!
    woosterbill and tabascosigned like this.
  40. Mbennett

Mbennett Savant (295) New York Jun 16, 2011

Fair enough. After reading my post, I realize it came off kinda harsh. I guess the last sentence you posted kinda irked me... "Having said that, a small craft beer selection will only add incremental sales for them".

If Chipotle is adding craft beer to their stores, it is purely based on the assumption that they are going to add to their bottom line. Making a blanket statement that it "will only add incremental sales for them" seems like a uninformed statement to make.