1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chipotle Testing Craft Beer in Chicago

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BreakingBad, Nov 5, 2012.

1. I think you misinterpreted what I said. I meant that there is little to no downside/risk for them compared to a potential upside in sales.
  2. Interesting, especially since the ones I have been to offer zero craft beer as it is.
  3. I think the author was just trying to use beers the general public has heard of - that description came from the Tribune article, where he's trying to write for the broader newspaper audience. 5 Rabbit has quite a bit of Saaz hop flavor (the taste is closer to Prima Pils than it is Corona), and 5 Vulture is far more complex than Negra Modelo, sweeter and with the spices and touch of chile heat.
  4. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Maybe it's a New Jersey thing, but none of the locations I've ever been to carry any type of beer.
  5. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

Tasty beers with lunch?
    Absolutely, good idea.
    Extra diarrhea please!
  6. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I think Chipotle is consistently very good.. and they source their meats and produce as close to their locations as they can.... you can also see them cooking the meat just behind the serving line... it doesn't come precooked or anything like that.

and if your work or time allows.. if you go in for lunch, wouldn't you rather have a nice craft brew for your drink than a cola? You don't have to spend lots of time eating and drinking... or throw down multiple brews.

Their hottest hot sauce is excellent in my opinion and is one of the few places that actually has heat in their hottest sauce.
    foobula likes this.
  7. faithfriend123

faithfriend123 Aspirant (25) Dec 28, 2012

That seems very nice, I hope maybe sometime Chipotle can come to China and be popular!
  8. You guys are missing the point. Who cares if Chipotle's food is awesome or it sucks. Who cares if the craft beers they feature are your favorite or a miss. In Chicago they're testing the craft market by selling 5 Rabbit, a local craft brewery, and it's way better than seeing Corona or Miller Lite. If it does well, I'm assuming they'll add more brands.

So buy a craft beer at Chipotle at least once and vote with your dollars, people.
    BeerSocrates12 and Ford like this.
  9. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Chipotle is yummy. I just don't usually drink there, any more than I would drink at Potbelly's or any other fast casual joint. If I want to drink I go to a bar or home. But hope it works out for them.
  10. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

1) Remember, at one time Chipotle's largest single stock owner was McDonald's.

b) The Chipotle where I live outside of Chicago has had beer since it opened, and the same line-up: Dos Equis, Corona...and Goose Island Honker's Ale. All AB InBev products, but the last of those has craft roots.

III) There's nothing quite like a fast food restaurant the wife and kids like...that lets you have a pretty darn good beer with dinner!

iv) Some days, that combination of a hot carnitas burrito and Honker's Ale is what gives me the strength to carry on.
    Ford and Boomblaze like this.
  11. Dos Equis is owned by Heineken and Corona is not yet an AB-InBev brand, and in the US will be owned by Crown.
    flexabull likes this.
  12. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Chef Here... love mexican food, fluent in spanish, worked at an upscale taco place in chicago. Chipotle is better than 95% of mexican places I've ever been in, ever. Meat quality, service, choices, etc. If you're hating, then you're wayy too hipster for your own good. They nailed it. Owner is a badass, too. Sold his shit to McDonalds for less than a year, they ruined it, he bought it back and fixed it. Sucka-Free. STOP HATING.
  13. BeerNDoggerel

But for distribution purposes, all on the same truck...
  14. Perhaps that is the case in your area, not in mine. Just because an independently-owned AB house also distributes other brands, that doesn't make them "ABInBev products". If it did, then in my region I'd have to call Victory, Anchor, Stoudts and Ithaca (among others) "AB-InBev products". Historically, both AB and ABInBev have been opposed to their independent wholesalers carrying other brewers' brands (more so than M-C).

(Yes, I know there's a Chicago area distributor that is partially-owned by AB now.)
  15. BeerNDoggerel

Appreciate the correction. Knew about the pressure AB InBev applies to distributors, and assumed. And we all know what I do when I assume...
    Chaz likes this.
  16. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

Hmmm, The Chipotle near me in MD doesn't serve beer at all....
  17. Neither the one on Charles St in Baltimore, nor the one in Arundle do either
  18. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

19. But now I really want them to.
  20. ...I'm so glad im in the farming capitol of the world for most fruits. ( Strawberries, Lettuce, Artichockes, ETC...) ((never thought i'd say that first sentence.) So with that comes alot of real mexican food because the field workers.

The taco joints here are the balls! Back to the topic though, Chipotle is still pretty decent and if my area follows through with this, I'll be there more often. The only beer at my chipotle's are Corona, Bohemia, Modelo, and New Castle i believe.

The only thing that im questioning is, if the managers will even know what craft beer is.
  21. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i like chipotle. i wouldn't consider it mexican food per se but it is fresh and affordable.
    Ford likes this.
  22. I can't remember the last time I saw someone at Chipotle order a beer and I am in there at least once a week. Also worth mentioning is that they have 1 or 2 Goose Island selections, so it's not like there's nothing worth getting if one wanted a decent beer.
  23. I mean, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, guacamole, rice and beans, salsa and hot sauce.. that's pretty mexican food-ish.
    Ford and foobula like this.
  24. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

The one in the burbs by me has Miller Lite and Dos Equis.(Must have been out of Corona that day.)

Incidentally, my opinion of Chipotle went down a couple of notches when they eliminated limes a couple of years ago. I assume it was a cost-cutting measure. But it's still among my favorite places to eat.
  25. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

living in san diego it's hard to see chipotle as mexican food but i see what you're saying. the chipotles here carry stone pale ale and ipa.
  26. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i think what he means is it's not good or real mexican food, as with most chains. i don't think most people would consider Quiznos to be amazing "deli"
  27. Eruspoena

Eruspoena Disciple (60) Missouri Dec 10, 2011

sounds like the best of both worlds, can't wait